LiteOn SHM-165P6S not recognized for lightscribe

Hi,

I recently bought a LiteOn SHM-165P6S. When trying to burn a lightscribe label the software does not recognize it as a lightscribe enabled burner.

First I installed Nero 7 with all updates and the lightscribe host software, but the drive selection box in the Cover Editor was empty. Then I completly uninstalled Nero (with the cleaning tool) and removed the lightscribe software, both all files and registry-keys.
Then I did a clean install of the lightscribe host software from Nero (LS_HSI.exe) and I installed Nero 6 and the update to 6.6.1.4. But the drive selection box was empty too. Afterwards I tried the SureThingLabeler 4 and the free labeling software from lightscribe.com. Installing the new host software from lightscribe.com did not work either.
Additonally I updated the bios of my mainboard (asus p5b-e), the firmware of the burner is the latest from lite-on.
I unplugged my dvd-reader from the system and restarted the system with the burner attached only. But I still no program recognized my lite-on for lightscribe.
I totally lost. Probably there is a problem with my mainboard. It does only provide a JMicron IDE-Controller JMB363. All IDE drives connected to it are recognized as SCSI drives by Windows XP.
Not to forget the registry-keys HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\allocateallcdroms is set to “0”. The event log shows lightscribe service started successfully.

As anybody an idea what I can do to use burner for lightscribing? :bow:

I’m not sure that IS a lightscribe enabled product. Is it?

http://us.liteonit.com/us/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=160&Itemid=67&limit=1&limitstart=1

Model 165H6S supports lightscribe.

I have just got one of these “Liteon SHM-165P6S” and from what I have read it does not do Lightscribe.

Too silly. I think I got the wrong drive from my dealer :sad:

Do you know if there is a hardware difference or is it only the firmware?

Hardware difference I believe.

Hmm I think I can live without Litescribe, thank you for your help.

Yeah, Lightscribe is kind of over-rated and takes a very, very long time compared to a Sharpie. :slight_smile:

Enjoy the drive. It is a good one.