LiteOn SHM-165P6S - need some help on usage

vbimport

Hi.
Some probably stupid questions.

I’ve bought a LiteOn SHM-165P6S just recently.
I’m not sure what I need to do as a newbie DVD burner.

1. Is it necessary for me to upgrade the firmware in LiteOn, or could I use straight away?
    And what firmware should I upgrade, be it official or third-party?

2. What should I notice/do when I update the firmware?
    Is it dangeorus to do?
    If the firmware is faulty, what’re the possible consequences? DVD drive damaged permanently? Or even computer down?
    How could I re-flash my original firmware if the new firmware is faulty jut in case?

3. Is there any tool I should notice/use as an occasional burner who will burn data/music/video backups and test the health of DVD disc? :stuck_out_tongue:
    If so, what and where?

Thanks so much for your help. :slight_smile:

Currently I have spotted one site which contains many useful tools, namely http://codeguys.rpc1.org/utilities.html

I have found a firmware at http://codeguys.rpc1.org/firmwares/dvdrw/stock/165P6S.MS0M.stock.rar
not sure how to use and if it’s up to date (or the best firmware)…
Should I upgrade my DVD drive now :confused:

Before You update the firmware i would make a backkup of the drives eeprom using the eeprom utility found on codeguys web page
http://codeguys.rpc1.org/utilities/EEPROM_Utility-3.3.2.rar
Version 3.3.2
Then you will be able to restore your drive to it’s original factory settings. You can use the stock firmware or the test firmware. There is a thread about the Test Firmware results in the LITEON forums. Last but not least LITEON also has a utlity called smartburn for the stock firmware and there is also a Test Utilty for the newest test firmware. I would personally start out with the stock firmware and the regular Smartburn utility and see how it works for you then you may want to try the test firmware. When flashing the drive make sure there is no disk in it and click on the flasher and be sure to select the right burner before you flash the drive in the menu the flasher provides. Then restart computer

What’s smartburn?

Just in case if I flash a wrong firmare, what’s the consequence?
Will the drive be damaged permanently, making it fail forever?

If I found the stock firmware is faulty, how could I flash it back to the original one? Is the restoration process just the same as I do when I upgrade the firmware?

Thank you.

The latest firmware for that drive is MSOM which can be found on liteon’s site or you can use the one on codeguy’s website. The liteon firmware will only let you flash to the newest firmware the firmwares on codeguy’s will let you flash back to an older firmware if you can find one also if you use the test firmware the codeguy’s firmware will let you flash back to the orginal MSOM firmware. Smartburn is a utlity that can be used to overburn dvd media or it supports a function that helps learn dvd media and get better burns.

http://www.liteonit.com/global/index.php?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=153
Lite-On IT Corporation Global - Utilities

Here is more info on smartburn

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=168354
SmartBurn v3.1.16 with OverSpeed and HyperTuning - LiteOn DVD Burner / Sony DVD Burner - Club CD Freaks

So is the newest firmware in codeguy the same as that in LiteOn (but just it enable me to reflash older firmware)?
If so, I’m going to get codeguy firmware.

By the way, do you know if LiteOn SHM-165P6S can burn double-layered DVD-RAM?

There is test firmware available here for your burner which is obviously the latest available. The thread is not hard to spot.

BTW would it not be best to just keep one thread going on this topic instead on asking the same questions in several.

I’m still at deep sea. :doh:
Should I flash the official one or the codeguy one or the test one?
could anyone show this little goat a hand? :bow:

BTW would it not be best to just keep one thread going on this topic instead on asking the same questions in several.

Yes, but not all people will visit this thread. :wink:
So far, there’re only 2 guys which show up in this thread.
Others are still hidden in the air. :bigsmile:

Wai Wai,

Until you become more comfortable with using your DVD burner and how it works, you are best sticking to the vendor provided firmwares. So, I would suggest you go get the most current firmware from Lite-On’s support pages. Also download the utilities they provide–smartburn and booktype.

Familiarize yourself with them and their use. Burn a few discs to gain some confidence in how this works.

I missed if you said if you have had a DVD burner before, so I’m not sure just how much advice and at what level you need it.

Once you feel comfortable with what you’re doing, go take a look for a program called ‘kprobe2’. It is a program that allows you to scan a burnt disc to determine how well it was burnt. Once you use that for a while–and after reading here in this forum for a while–you should be able to make a decision as to what modified firmwares might be right for you. I would recommend that you stay away from codeguys firmwares and the test firmwares until you are quite comfortable with how DVD burning works.

Most importantly, if you ever have questions, please feel free to ask them here.

Cheers!

Good advice!
So I go and get LiteOn official firmware first.

I missed if you said if you have had a DVD burner before, so I’m not sure just how much advice and at what level you need it.

I’m a very late comer. This is just my very first DVD burner.
Shame on me. :sad:

Once you feel comfortable with what you’re doing, go take a look for a program called ‘kprobe2’. It is a program that allows you to scan a burnt disc to determine how well it was burnt. Once you use that for a while–and after reading here in this forum for a while–you should be able to make a decision as to what modified firmwares might be right for you. I would recommend that you stay away from codeguys firmwares and the test firmwares until you are quite comfortable with how DVD burning works.

I used to use Nero to scan for the health of a disc.
So what’s the difference between kprobe2 and Nero?
What’re their pros & cons?

Most importantly, if you ever have questions, please feel free to ask them here.

Most importantly, I accept your invitation. :wink:
Thank you in advance!

Does anyone help me to verify if I selected the right firmware?
I’m using LiteOn SHM-165P6S02C.

Should I choose this:
http://www.liteonit.com/global/index.php?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=154

Wai Wai,

This is a chooser for finding firmware. If you enter “optical drives” and “SHM-165P6S”, it will take you to a page and offer http://www.liteonit.com/DOWNLOADS/ODD/SHM-165P6S/firmware/DR16MS0N.zip

Which should be the correct firmware for you. Follow the driections it gives you.

Regarding your question of which is better Kprobe or Nero, I prefer Kprobe as it makes it easier for me to catalog all of my scans (I scan every burn) while Nero has some nicer graphics which are good for doing testing–it can overlay the burn speed on the graph which shows the scan of the disc. This is useful for seeing certain kinds of problems. Use whichever program you like, it will make little difference.

There’s nothing wrong with being new. We were all new at this, once. I made the mistake of buying a sony DRU-710A. The mistake wasn’t the drive, but buying from Sony–who has the worst tech support I’ve ever had the problem of working with. It took 5 firmwares before they got one that burnt very well. I’ve probably made 50 coasters because of their horrible early firmwares. Not I use one of CodeKings custom firmwares and I am a lot happier. But, I’ve had a year and a half to learn about DVD burning and to make the decision.

This message board is a good resource. Use the search tool when you have questions. For the first few months, you’ll probably find that any question you have has already been asked by someone who came before you. :slight_smile:

Best of luck!

I don’t see a chooser. It has only drop-down list for me to choose, but maybe it’s what you refer to.

I discovered I picked the wrong one which looks very similar:
SHM-165P6SX

I just thought “X” means some unknown characters as I have my model code is much longer than just SHM-165P6S.

Thanks for your help!

DvD-Ram not Work!?
Help meeeeeeeee please

What’s wrong with your drive?
You need to give more details.