LiteOn SHM-165H6S Slow reading/errors

vbimport

My new LiteOn SHM-165H6S seems to read audio CD’s quite a bit slower than I expected, and seems to be having quite a bit of trouble with copy protection. Read speeds tend to be under 10X, and in a lot of cases <5X. I just tried ripping “Some Cities” by Doves, which has a copy protection on it which I can’t determine (ProtectionID said nothing, see attachments); and the speed started at 5X then dropped to 1X after track 1 for the rest of the rip, which resulted in many many errors & pops and clicks in the audio. Is there anything I can do, keeping in mind I’m new to things like firmware flashes and such?

BTW- I got a message when inserting that CD - “To listen to the CD a number of files need to be updated on your PC.” That’s a first (I’ve listened to it before on my PC) I hit “Cancel”. It played fine with iTunes & Foobar regardless. ???

Hi,

I just ignore copy protected CDs. They are not only incompatible, but they are often stiffed with lots of C2 errors. If that were a CD you burned, you’d consider that a coaster.

Read speeds tend to be under 10X, and in a lot of cases <5X.
Because of the “bad” disc. Defective by design.
I just tried ripping “Some Cities” by Doves, which has a copy protection on it which I can’t determine (ProtectionID said nothing, see attachments);
Cactus Data Shield. Just check “version.txt”.
and the speed started at 5X then dropped to 1X after track 1 for the rest of the rip, which resulted in many many errors & pops and clicks in the audio.
This is normal for CDS protected CDs. There are tons of C2 errors, which makes is hard for any error correction mechanism.

Is there anything I can do, keeping in mind I’m new to things like firmware flashes and such?
Return the disc to the vendor. It is defective.

BTW- I got a message when inserting that CD - “To listen to the CD a number of files need to be updated on your PC.” That’s a first (I’ve listened to it before on my PC) I hit “Cancel”. It played fine with iTunes & Foobar regardless. ???
Google for “Sony Rootkit”. It is a very good idea not to be logged on as user with administrative permissions and to have autorun disabled. Such a disc can mess up your whole system.

Michael
P.S.: This is a CDS protected “Audio” CD scanned with a Benq DW 1650 (1st pic). Advanced Quality Scan fails. My Sony DWG120A@Liteon SHM-165P6S sticks at 8x when scanning that disc (2nd pic). Scanning with Kprobe is not possible. Not that Liteon DVDRW drives are poor CD scanners. If they report errors, then the disc is seriously bad. And have a look at the transfer rate curve of that disc. The Litey has severe problems to read that.

Thank-you very much for your detailed response! I’m ignoring the copy-protection issue right now. However, my drive still reads non-copy protected CD’s quite slowly, and there’s no Sony rootkit on my PC… (I just checked) Even with a brand-new non-copy protected Indie label Cd, it never goes above 5X… ?? (using EAC)

Hi,

You’re welcome :slight_smile:

I’m ignoring the copy-protection issue right now.
If there is “Copy Protected” on the disc of an artist, I ignore the artist then.
However, my drive still reads non-copy protected CD’s quite slowly,
As you are using EAC, this is a common issue (or feature). The only drive in my rig, that rips really fast with EAC, is my LG 4163. All other drives are rather slow with ripping speed of about 10x. You may try other ripping software like CDex.

and there’s no Sony rootkit on my PC… (I just checked)
I didn’t suspect the presence of that kind of junk on your system. I just wanted to show, what damage can be caused by just playing a music CD.

Michael

Hi, I found this thread searching through the forums for a similar question. My Lite-On is definitely not reading any discs up to the speed that was posted in the cdfreaks review. I just ran a Nero CD-DVD Speed test with a burned DVD-R and it was never able to max out at 16x. I had no other cpu intensive programs running at the time so I was wondering is there anything I can do to get more speed out of this drive? Thanks for any help.

(edit): Found this thread http://club.cdfreaks.com/f44/liteon-5s-6s-16x-overspeed-read-speed-unlock-updated-14-dec-2007-a-192707/

Is this what I need to unlock the true potential for this drive?