LiteOn SHM-165H6S read problems

I’m having intermittent read problems with this drive (I have 2 installed in a new DIY system). With an audio or data CD or data DVD-RW disc, nothing pops up when I close the drive. If I select E:\ it returns the message:

E:\ is not accessible. The request could not be performed because of an I/O drive error.

Windows Device Manager shows no problems.

Since the 2nd drive (F:) seems okay, would you folks guess I have a bad drive to RMA to the online store?

TIA

Did you swap the drives?

I tried with a new IDE (40-pin) cable - same problem; first cable was an 80-pin that came with the motherboard (Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3).

I tried a new Pioneer DVR-710 drive with the first cable - same problem.

I ran Microsoft’s Autoplay Repair Wizard with the Pioneer - same problem. I changed the Device Manager’s settings from “DMA if possible” to “PIO only” on the primary IDE channel device 0 where the drive was installed. Now it reads only one CD if I reboot with a disc in the drive. If I change CDs, it freezes the system without an error message.

3 bad drives? I don’t think so. I’m beginning to suspect a bad motherboard IDE, but don’t know how to further diagnose it - nothing amiss shows in the Device Mgr.
:sad:

Albus - I have intermittent system freezes when the the Liteon SHM-165H6S on my GA-965P-DS3/F7 E6400 system starts up. Others have been getting it too. The problem may be due to the PATA/SATA controller. :frowning: