LiteOn/Samsung/LG low price drives produce low quality burns?!? I want comments!

Hello!

I am in the process of buying a new CDRW drive because of the problems I have had with a LiteOn and TDK (LiteOn rebadged) drive recently. (You can read all about that in my post in the LiteOn forum). :frowning:

Anyway I called a place to talk to them about which burner to get etc, and the guy starts ranting and raving about how LiteOn, LG, Philips, Samsung drives etc are just CRAP. He said that regardless of the media I have previously used (TDK, Kodak, Maxell etc. mostly quality brands media) he said - using CRAPPY drives like LiteOn, TDK, Samsung etc. THE INFORMATION ON THE DISCS WOULD NOT LAST MORE THAN 3 YEARS AT THE VERY MOST. He told me the only way to go would be Plextor or Yamaha drives (which are no longer made!) :eek: :eek: :eek:

My question now is HOW MUCH TRUTH is there to this statement? I am feeling real uneasy now since I have burned a lot of stuff. Much of it irreplaceable and I certainly don’t want to have to worry that it will be GONE or unreadable in 3 years time! Been using quality media most of the time and for all important stuff.

Actually I am considering a Plextor Premium drive as it is, but do I have to re-burn my huge collection of discs to be on the safe side??? The last two drives I have had has been LiteOn and TDK. Which I have had some trouble with (but the burns always came out 100% green (scandisc) at least when using quality media.

ANY COMMENTS ON THIS WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!

P.S: Used mostly 12-24x burning speed at all times!!

HOW MUCH TRUTH is there to this statement?

None.

Moved to the hardware forum, as this is not really related to media.

liteon sucks? how many drugs does this person take per day?

Originally posted by doskungen
[B]

Anyway I called a place to talk to them about which burner to get etc, and the guy starts ranting and raving about how LiteOn, LG, Philips, Samsung drives etc are just CRAP. He said that regardless of the media I have previously used (TDK, Kodak, Maxell etc. mostly quality brands media) he said - using CRAPPY drives like LiteOn, TDK, Samsung etc. THE INFORMATION ON THE DISCS WOULD NOT LAST MORE THAN 3 YEARS AT THE VERY MOST. He told me the only way to go would be Plextor or Yamaha drives (which are no longer made!) :eek: :eek: :eek:

[/B]

Hilarious! :slight_smile: You should ask him to offer proof of his delusions next time he tries to ask you to fork out for a Plextor or Yamaha :slight_smile: I am still amazed Plextor is in the consumer business, but that’s just me…

I don’t think this is true at all.

Personally I’m very satisfied with my LTC-48161H combo when it comes to writing quality. The samsung combo is not bad either, but slightly worse than the Lite-On.

Unless he could prove it, I’ll say this is just purs BS.

And on the last matter: My Lite-On LTR-52246S is per today the writer that gives the best write quality with the widest range of discs…the plextor premium is not better to my experience.

Yes I’ve tested the overall error amount with both plextools and KProbe, and they both agree…LTR-52246S makes the best results on over 70% of the tested disc types…and the LTC-48161H combo is just slightly worse.