LiteOn reader - Plextor burner!

I am thinking of getting one LTN 526 reader to par with my Plextor burner …

And i am wonder ,in what the LiteOn reader is good at ?
Does it reads better than the Plextor burner the latest cd protections ?

What i need is one good reader for burning on the fly …

Is it truth that the LTN 526 , is good enough with the music CDs by reading the protections as the Plextor does ?

i’m looking for the same,having a plextor w4012a,are LiteOn dvd’s good readers?

Thanks

The last LiteOn writer, model LTR-52246S, is good with audio protections. They’re however not reliable when it comes to SubChannel Data reading. I don’t know if the same applies to the DVD-ROMs though. I have the mentioned LiteOn writer here and it’s a good reader. It’s a little slow when reading SafeDisc. Plextor drives rule when it comes to reading SafeDisc and SecuRom. Most audio protections are no problem for most Plextor drives. So I don’t really see a reason to buy an additional LiteOn drive to use a reader. You can however buy a LiteOn writer to copy SafeDisc 2.51+ without the use of CloneCD’s AWS feature.

Just my 2 cents! :wink:

I took the chance to do some tests of my own ,here is the results , and yes i build computers for making my living … :slight_smile:

Ok about the LTN 526 …

Test system Celery 450 Abit BX board Intel 440BX - 256 megs .
Connection type Ultra DMA 33 40-pin cable , LTN 526 as Secondary Master no other device as slave …

The drive is very noisy at full speed , and i am talking noisy as hell …
At full speed you can feel air to blasted from every possible hole from the plastic face of it …
At the seek test in Nero speed my full tower box with wheels started to dancing left and right …
This thing vibrates too much , but for sure it spins fast .

In praxis , in the tests of Nero CD speed …
The drive perform very well in the data transfer , the max speed that i see by testing 6 different data CDs was like 50,43X and average 38X .
But in audio test the drive never pass the 40X ,even with the use of fully loaded from tracks CDs …

In the worst scenario (average scratched CD ) , the drive fall to 16x , and this was the most lower speed that i have see in all the testing …

Actually i have two LTN 526 in my hands, loaded with the latest firmware , and i did test them both , both perform identically , with the same amount of speed and vibrations … l

As last test , i played with the Nero Drive Speed ( you can control the operational speed of the drive ) …
The LTN 526 becomes almost quiet at 24X , but even at 32X the drive is very noisy and at the max you have the feeling that the drive it will be ejected from the computer tower by it self .

And another one last test , LiteOn says that this drive it operates in horizontal and vertical position , and yes it does …
Just for the fun of it i turned it upside down at the time that it was spinning at 30X , what happen !! One very strong banging noise come out of it , for one second i thought that the disk inside had stuck in the mechanism , but in the reality the drive stopped to operate for few seconds ,and started by it self from one lower speed … The CD disk remain intact ,and free of damage as the drive too .

It looks like a fine speed devil , but its hard to live with it , specially if you tend to forget your CDs in your CD drive ,as the most people do …

About the noise issue , and in comparison with the LTN 526 , my Plextor 4012TA CDR and the Hitachi GD-8000 DVD (40x)is angels …

The good part is that this drive is a real CAV , in data and audio …
And it will par well with my Plextor burner , but i have not make my mind yet , if i really like to have a devil like this in my main computer … :bigsmile:

Yeah the LiteOn 52x is a real noisemaker. My computer is however already very noisy (a total of 8 fans will do that ;)) so it didn’t bother me that much. I’m a bit worried of the high rpm’s the LiteOn produces when using discs. They’re often above 11.000 rpm’s and an imperfect disc could easily shatter in the drive. Plextor keeps the rpm’s down to about 9.600. A crappy disc could still brake at those speeds of course but 11.000 rpm is really pushing it.

@GF:
Remember X- Beyond the Frontier, what we’ve been talking about. The one with 157.000 bad sectors.

A Plextor 24x completely failed in reading it, because it didn’t like reading consecutive bad sectors! It reads single bad sectors very fast, but not consecutive ones!
Could you check this for the latest models?

What about a Plextor and LiteOn burner?

Buy a LiteOn burner (if you don’t need dvd-capabilities), all LiteOns 40sp and higher with the right firmware read most audio protections. Besides that as a bonus you can use the LiteOn for the data protections (SafeDisc 2.51+) which your plextor can’t copy.

Originally posted by Upp3rd0G
Buy a LiteOn burner (if you don’t need dvd-capabilities), all LiteOns 40sp and higher with the right firmware read most audio protections. Besides that as a bonus you can use the LiteOn for the data protections (Safedisk 2.51+) which your plextor can’t copy.

Can we please clear out this detail …
The Plextors cannot read the protections OR burn the protections (Safedisk 2.51+)

If i make one image of the (Safedisk 2.51+) with the LiteOn burner , the Plextor will burn it ?

Plexies can not burn images of games with SD2.5x and higher and need help form the software (ie: CCD and AWS)) to produce a working copy (which Lities don’t need). They can create a good RAW image of these game though, as most readers will. In addition, they can read and write most (if not all - correct me here guys) audio copy protections which the Lities can’t (appart from the latest 52x model).

So far ,i had in mind that the reading was the hard part ,not the burning … I will play the unfaithful thomas for while on this …

But it looks that i will sin soon ,by getting one LiteOn CDR 52X ,just to make one good par with the Plextor .
I own one DVD , so there is no need for two …

So far ,i had in mind that the reading was the hard part ,not the burning …
Not the case with SD protection. No-sheep and 1-sheep burners (as the plexies) will most of the time produce backups that won’t work or will work only in the burner but certainly not in all drives tested. They are however able to make an image of the game that will play with no emulation in DT. Just read any review of such a drive ie: the P4012A.

I had read that the Plexies is using optics and chip from Sanyo , can i freely guess that this similarity’s exists in all the burners that they use this parts !!

Yes, any drive marked as"repacked plextor" will use its primary sanyo chipset and will fail with safedisc. In the other way, the plextor ( any model ) is able to bypass EVERY audio protection in the market. The liteon can`t.
In addtition to this, with the latest “plextools” most plextors are able to unprotect the latest audio cds in the burning process, so the copy will be “free” of protection and copyable by any device without extra software.

Good luck

Stop telling that Plextors bypass all audio protections!

Cactus DataShield 100 V3 does not work on current Plextor drives! Thus, with Firmware ZS0P/6S02, current Plextor drives do not have any advantage over LiteOns using these firmwares regarding audio protections.

Plextor 40x CD-ROM can afaik read Cactus 100 V3.

Thanks Morglum007 and Hemispasm , my interest is to understand in depth how things work , copying games is not my current interest …

Ok i guess that there is no any unveiled info in it , about the burners and how they handle games …

But i do not see how can i use the burner for copying on the fly !!
For audio the Plexie burner reads fine and burn at 40X with fantastic results , no C1 or C2 errors with good CDR media …
But does the latest 52X Litie burner do the audio burning so well as the Plexie does at 40x …

Ok i will try to explain my thoughts more , i do not wan to end up with two Plextors for burning on the fly audio …
Or with another two Lities ( in total four burners ) for burning on the fly games …

Oups , what i said !! one the fly games ? is that possible with two Lities 52x burners ?

Originally posted by alexnoe
[B]Stop telling that Plextors bypass all audio protections!

Cactus DataShield 100 V3 does not work on current Plextor drives! Thus, with Firmware ZS0P/6S02, current Plextor drives do not have any advantage over LiteOns using these firmwares regarding audio protections.

Plextor 40x CD-ROM can afaik read Cactus 100 V3. [/B]

You are talking about the SCSI readers ? or about the burners too !!