Liteon OEM Firmware question

Hi all, sorry if this is a daft question, but;
I have a Liteon LTR12101B, bought at a computer fair new. It’s apparently a HP OEM item, and as such the firmware is different. The firmeware is LKU6, as opposed to the LS set. Is there a way I can flash the latest non-oem firmware? When I try to flash with the LS firmwares, the program tells me it’s not able to upgrade from my firmware. Can anyone shed any light on this for me?

:bow:

There is an update from HP, version LKUA. You can convert it to the latest Lite-ON firmware by getting a binary version and pflash from alexnoe’s archive. PFlash is the flasher and it must be used in DOS.

http://www.alexander-noe.de/Firmwares/LiteOn/real_LiteOn/LTR-12101B/index.html

I got pflash and the ls3j binary from the site - many thanks :slight_smile: - but when i used it (in dos mode without cdrom support from a win98 boot disk), using " pflash ls3j.bin /sm " - drive is master on 2nd channel - it started reading from the floppy, and began the process. Where it displays “date” as the utility begins, there was no date, just a collection of symbols, then i got a page full of “data compare fail in address 0x4…” errors (each one a different suffix) and “too many compare errors, cannot complete” (or similar wording). Fearing the worst I rebooted. The drive was recognised by the bios, and showed up as firmware version ls3j, windows xp recognised it, and nero info tool sees it as ls3j too! I’ve burnt a disk using nero, and it works. So, basically, I’m confused. Did it work, ie is it ok now, or should i maybe try flashing again with a different version? Oh, and can anyone tell me which version is best? I thought ls3j was the latest, but on the site i see LSRx versions, and can’t find a list of differences between them. Cheers!

Originally posted by jayroller

Oh, and can anyone tell me which version is best?
AFAIK, the last and the best one is LSJ23.
Download the .exe version [COLOR=purple]here and flash your drive with it again, in Windows this time.
I guess you’d need this to be on the safe side.[/COLOR]

Ok, I d/l’d the windows flasher, but when i try to run it, it tells me i already have the latest firmware installed. As the drive seems to be running ok, I think I’ll leave it there for now. Many thanks for the help. :smiley:

Originally posted by jayroller

Ok, I d/l’d the windows flasher, but when i try to run it, it tells me i already have the latest firmware installed.
Sure thing. Why shouldn’t it ?!
Since it was you who seemed a bit suspicious whether the former flashing went good or not,
the aim with my proposal was to take away your worries.
But I’m happy it’s settled down now. :smiley: