LIteon not recognized by DiscSpeed in Windows 8

vbimport

Guru’s,

I’ve just installed a Liteon IHAS324 on my Windows 8 system. Nero DiscSpeed 7.0.2.100 sees the drive intermittently (mostly not). Kprobe 2.52. does. Is this a windows 8 issue or is it something else.

Thanks

[QUOTE=Bob_G;2687862]Guru’s,

I’ve just installed a Liteon IHAS324 on my Windows 8 system. Nero DiscSpeed 7.0.2.100 sees the drive intermittently (mostly not). Kprobe 2.52. does. Is this a windows 8 issue or is it something else.

Thanks[/QUOTE]

Aha! It took days of searching but finally I found someone else having a similar problem. Did you ever resolve this? See the last entries in this thread:

Schuster, thanks for the update, I’ve given up using my Liteon for scanning, fortunately I still have a BenQ which doesn’t seem effected by Windows 8.1

Which motherboard do you use ? The one in your signature ?
Maybe another SATA port (or mode - if individually adjustable) makes DiscSpeed recognize the drive.
[U]EDIT[/U]: looks like they’re not individually adjustable: http://download.gigabyte.eu/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_ga-z77x-ud3h_e.pdf#page=51

I use version 4.7.7.16 on Win 7/8.1, and if drives are missing i try with a wnaspi32.dll in the executable folder.
I don’t know which dlls are suited/compatible; i’m using the ones from Rocket Division Software (v12.0.0.272) and ahead (v2.0.1.74).

As far as i remember this alternative unfortunately doesn’t work with DiscSpeed version 7.
In case you want to try 4.7.7.16 i’ve attached the dlls.

wnaspi32.zip (124 KB)

[QUOTE=Bob_G;2728277]Schuster, thanks for the update, I’ve given up using my Liteon for scanning, fortunately I still have a BenQ which doesn’t seem effected by Windows 8.1[/QUOTE]

My DW-1655 (in a JMicro-bridge USB enclosure) works, most of the time. Sometimes it will think a burned DVD is “empty” and, while oddly it will run transfer rate tests up to the actual burned data content, all the disc quality stuff is disabled just like the Lite-Ons

I ran into the same capacity thing with an old NEC ND-6650A under Win 8.1; CD’s burned fine but I could not burn DVD’s using any program. They all thought the blank DVD had zero capacity and was closed (including the text below the desktop icon for the drive). The burn speed options presented made it clear that Windows was making it believe the media was a CD-R.

I’ve run filterdriverviewer on all the drives and there are NO upper or lower filters installed. Somehow Win8 has changed the way drives talk to application programs and it throws many for a fatal loop.

I would try the alternate ASPI layer method Terramex suggested above. That usually irons out bugs with scanning on older versions of Windows. If that doesn’t work, it might genuinely be something that you can’t avoid.

As for the NEC issue which might be unrelated: if you’re still trying to troubleshoot that, ImgBurn allows you to select SPTI or ASPI or other certain interfaces to talk to the drives. Maybe using ImgBurn with an alternate interface would allow a workaround?

[QUOTE=Albert;2728304]I would try the alternate ASPI layer method Terramex suggested above. That usually irons out bugs with scanning on older versions of Windows. If that doesn’t work, it might genuinely be something that you can’t avoid. [/QUOTE]

Thanks for pointing that out. I will try putting various ASPI DLL’s in the CDSpeed folder to see if it helps getting the right data.

As for the NEC issue which might be unrelated: if you’re still trying to troubleshoot that, ImgBurn allows you to select SPTI or ASPI or other certain interfaces to talk to the drives. Maybe using ImgBurn with an alternate interface would allow a workaround?

IIRC ImgBurn was set to the default which is SPTI. The idea of trying different interfaces is also a great suggestion. BTW I tried several portable burning programs, including ImgBurn, CDBurner SE, Ashampoo, Prassi O.N.E.S. (an oldie but goodie) and the Win8 built-in burning engine and they all failed in similar ways.

[QUOTE=schuster;2728310]Thanks for pointing that out. I will try putting various ASPI DLL’s in the CDSpeed folder to see if it helps getting the right data.[/QUOTE]

Try to put the Ahead’s wnaspi32.dll in C:\Windows.

[QUOTE=Terramex;2728296]Which motherboard do you use ? The one in your signature ?
Maybe another SATA port (or mode - if individually adjustable) makes DiscSpeed recognize the drive.
[U]EDIT[/U]: looks like they’re not individually adjustable: http://download.gigabyte.eu/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_ga-z77x-ud3h_e.pdf#page=51

I use version 4.7.7.16 on Win 7/8.1, and if drives are missing i try with a wnaspi32.dll in the executable folder.
I don’t know which dlls are suited/compatible; i’m using the ones from Rocket Division Software (v12.0.0.272) and ahead (v2.0.1.74).

As far as i remember this alternative unfortunately doesn’t work with DiscSpeed version 7.
In case you want to try 4.7.7.16 i’ve attached the dlls.[/QUOTE]

Yes, my motherboard is what I show in my signature the Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3h, Windows 8.1. In addition, Windows recognizes the Liteon, and so does Kprobe, just not Nero Speedisk.

I’ve tried the wnaspi32.dll in the Nero Directory and C:\windows. Since I have a SDD I’ve put Nero Executable on my D:\ drive, do you think that maters ?

Try this standalone version: http://upload.cdfreaks.com/liteon/tools/CDSpeed-SE3-47716.rar , and copy the wnaspi32.dll in the same directory as the CDSpeed-SE3.exe.

[QUOTE=Terramex;2728470]Try this standalone version: http://upload.cdfreaks.com/liteon/tools/CDSpeed-SE3-47716.rar , and copy the wnaspi32.dll in the same directory as the CDSpeed-SE3.exe.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Terramex, that worked !!! :bow::bow::bow::bow::bow:

You’re welcome :slight_smile: