Liteon New Firmware

vbimport

#1

Does anybody know why Liteon’s latest firmware for the LDW851S is better for +R writing than -R writing and the previous firmware version was better for -R writing. Isn’t it possible to write the firmware to be good at -R and +R, i.e. the + bits of GS0F and the - bits of GS08 ? also why do liteon remove the older firmware version from their website? are they trying to promote +R writing over -R.

Thanks
:slight_smile:


#2

They always remove older firmwares from their website. Not only DVD burners are concerned.
But You can get older firmwares from dhc014’s site.


#3

Originally posted by manninca
[B]Does anybody know why Liteon’s latest firmware for the LDW851S is better for +R writing than -R writing and the previous firmware version was better for -R writing. Isn’t it possible to write the firmware to be good at -R and +R, i.e. the + bits of GS0F and the - bits of GS08 ? also why do liteon remove the older firmware version from their website? are they trying to promote +R writing over -R.

Thanks
:slight_smile: [/B]

Read their information. You can’t flash back to older firmware, so why would they make it available? (You have to run one of the hack tools on it to flash an older version - the copy downloaded from their site won’t downgrade)


#4

Thanks for your response, I understand now that you cant flash back because they write their firmware that way, but I don’t understand why they don’t want you to flash back ?

I,ve got a 50 pack of bulkpaq orange that I cant write to at all now but before GS0F I could.

I can flash back with a fixed older flash and use them but I dont understand why the new fimware couldnt improve +R writing without reducing -R writing quality. I guess I should be asking liteon.


#5

Originally posted by manninca
I understand now that you cant flash back because they write their firmware that way, but I don’t understand why they don’t want you to flash back ?

for simplicity of tech support. if you would contact them they would first suggest you upgrade before they do anything further.

media seems so variable in dvd. one spindle will suck and the next of the same type will be perfect. seems like too much hashish being smoked or something.


#6

Originally posted by manninca
[B]
I,ve got a 50 pack of bulkpaq orange that I cant write to at all now but before GS0F I could.

I can flash back with a fixed older flash and use them but I dont understand why the new fimware couldnt improve +R writing without reducing -R writing quality. I guess I should be asking liteon. [/B]

I’ve had the same experience as yours. I own an LDW-451S, which should be very similar to your drive, and I’ve been quite unhappy with the new firmware performance in -R writing.
The point is: even after flashing back the original firmware (using LtnFW), I still cannot get the same quality in -R writing as before! I consistently get bad spikes when I let kprobe analyze the discs I burn.
So, if you ever decide to get back to the older firmware version, I would like to have some feedback from you. I’m curious to know if someone can restore the original performance of the drive, after flashing a “-R killer” firmware…

M.


#7

Frankly I’ve given up that my 851S will ever be a reliable -R writer. The previous firmware was poor for -R but the newest firmware is even worse. In order to make a bad situation worse, one has to conclude that LiteOn just doesn’t care about their crappy -R writing. I now use my old LG 4040B for all -R writing (all my inkjet printable media) and never have to worry about the last part of the disc being unreadable.

No more LiteOn burners for me.


#8

@marpis

If you have made a backup of your EEPROM in the past, perhaps you could reload an older EEPROM (must be an EEPROM backed up from YOUR drive, as EEPROMs are unique to each individual drive). Otherwise, read the rest of this post

@all

If your 451S/851S is having problems with -R, you may either try to revert back to a more -R friendly FW. Or you could try using the UYS1 firmware (LiteOn’s FW for Sony’s rebadged LiteOn 812S), which, although it wasn’t designed for the 451/851, will work fine on the 451/851. It seems to be giving better -R writing quality than any of the 451/851 FWs (just don’t try writing -R at 8x because the 451/851 hardware won’t support it even though the FW does)
http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=91983


#9

Originally posted by code65536
[B]@marpis

If you have made a backup of your EEPROM in the past, perhaps you could reload an older EEPROM (must be an EEPROM backed up from YOUR drive, as EEPROMs are unique to each individual drive). Otherwise, read the rest of this post

That sounds weird. Unfortunately I didn’t backup my old firmware (back in the good old days, when I just ran the offical firmware updates .exes without the need to mess up with LtnFW…), so I guess I’ll never be able to restore it.
Thank you very much for your following advice anyway, I’ll try the hacked firmware and see how it performs. I must admit anyway, after so many attempts I’m starting to lose any hope…


#10

Originally posted by marpis
That sounds weird. Unfortunately I didn’t backup my old firmware (back in the good old days, when I just ran the offical firmware updates .exes without the need to mess up with LtnFW…), so I guess I’ll never be able to restore it.
Thank you very much for your following advice anyway, I’ll try the hacked firmware and see how it performs. I must admit anyway, after so many attempts I’m starting to lose any hope…

Good luck. Be sure to let us know how it worked out.


#11

I flashed my 851S to the UYS1 firmware using LtnFW.exe and it is seen as a Sony DW-U18A. I haven’t had a chance yet to burn any -R with it but a couple of +RW burns have been good. My question is whether there’s anything special I have to do if I want to flash back to a LiteOn firmware (just in case this one doesn’t work too well)? Do I need to use LtnFW.exe with Update Bootcode again?


#12

If your drive’s an original 851S (not a 451@851), all you need to do is download a 851 EXE FW and run FlashFix on it. See Ssseth’s tool collection for FlashFix.

Or if you use a .BIN FW (for an older version for which the LiteOn EXE flasher is unavailable), you could just use LtnFW with update bootcode.


#13

Thanks, some good responses coming now, I would like to stay with liteon firmware and keep my drive recognised as an 851s, any suggestions for the best all round firmware, anybody having good results with +r and -r writing, would GS08 be the one, thats what my drive was shipped with?

I have freinds with Pioneer writers that write

  • and - at 8 speed on 4 speed budget discs, think I should have bought one of those instead of a Liteon that is so technologically superior that it can only be fed top quality media.
    :wink: :wink: :wink: :cool:

#14

Originally posted by code65536
Good luck. Be sure to let us know how it worked out.

Ok, I’ve tried some burns yesterday, but only on a memorex -RW (I don’t have any more -R media right now).
At first, the result was excellent: the spikes I talk about in another thread are still there, but somehow lower and the PO and PI average is as good as it gets.
Then I tried to burn a large image and, both with Alcohol and with Nero, I got terribly high PO and PI at the end of the disc (after about 4GB). That is an issue many users seem to have, but I didn’t experience it with GSB4 firmware (although I did with GSB7…).

The bottom line is: it seems I should use the sony hacked FW for -R dvds smaller than 4GB, the GSB4 firmware for -R dvds larger than 4GB, the GSB7 firmware for +R dvds and bitsetting. Of course, all that messing around doesn’t seem a viable option. I’m starting to wonder if I can find a Pio106 for a low price…

Bye

m.