LiteOn new BIOSes

vbimport

Hi.
LiteOn released new BIOSes, avail. here.
http://www.liteonit.com.tw/e-down-f.asp

WS05 for LTR-40125W
VS06 for LTR-48125W
8S03 for LXR-24101A

Officialy BIOSes are as usual "match more media" ones

Regards,
AbrahaM

VS06? I wonder how much more efficient this is compared to VS02.:confused:

Interesting :wink:

Something more to play with when I get home :stuck_out_tongue:

Originally posted by OC-Freak
[B]Interesting :wink:

Something more to play with when I get home :stuck_out_tongue: [/B]

As soon as you get VS06 results - please tell us about it, and of course please update collection of BIOSes.

I tested WS05, it’s looks like another “match more media” BIOS, still no Mt. Rainer support.

Regards,
AbrahaM

Still same as VS04.

Only 48X writing starts at 22X, 40X-20X writing starts at 19X.

Testing so far shows no better quality with this version compared to VS02.

Just another question. Since I already upgraded to vs02, can I jump to vs06 officially w/o the use of mtkflash?:smiley:

The utility supports flashing for firmware versions VS01 to VS2Z. So you should be able to flash without mtkflash. Just unzip and doubleclick…

No problems here going from VS02 to VS06 in XP.

Freak, can you try burning with some poorer quality media. I would assume the slower speeds are how they are addressing the media compatibility issues.

Same as VS02 or worse from my testing so far. Wait for the review :wink:

where are u going to post ur review at? in a thread? main page?

Originally posted by OC-Freak
Same as VS02 or worse from my testing so far. Wait for the review :wink:

I’m happy to say that VS06 seems to work well for me (real 48X)
VS02 worked well with real and OC LiteOn @40X speeds, but caused a writing pause at the end of the write in 48X mode when using mode2/XA
VS04 caused write slowdowns toward the end of the write (writing speed dropped @50min)
VS06 fixes the buffer management issue that was in VS01/02 (the pause at the end of the write in mode2/XA) and it actually writes @48X (2min 42sec for 79:54 burn) on my TDK 40X Ritek Type 7 discs.
Media check using Nero CD speed also reveals only 24 errors (probably just media defect) all the way at the end of the write using Toshiba 1502 DVD (79:50 area) and 0 errors using LiteOn 48125W

get all these binaries here:

i have a 40125s o/c with vs02 should i upgrade to vs06 ?

Originally posted by Nhawk
[B]

I’m happy to say that VS06 seems to work well for me (real 48X)
VS02 worked well with real and OC LiteOn @40X speeds, but caused a writing pause at the end of the write in 48X mode when using mode2/XA
VS04 caused write slowdowns toward the end of the write (writing speed dropped @50min)
VS06 fixes the buffer management issue that was in VS01/02 (the pause at the end of the write in mode2/XA) and it actually writes @48X (2min 42sec for 79:54 burn) on my TDK 40X Ritek Type 7 discs.
Media check using Nero CD speed also reveals only 24 errors (probably just media defect) all the way at the end of the write using Toshiba 1502 DVD (79:50 area) and 0 errors using LiteOn 48125W [/B]

My experience with VS06 is just the contrary to yours. I have been using Ricoh CD-R ever since the era of 4X burners and it never disappoints me. It matches with all brands of burners I’ve used, which include Yamaha, Mitsumi, Ricoh, Sanyo and last but not least, LiteOn.

It’s true up till the firmware VS04 of LTR-48125W. With this firmware I’m able to burn @ 48X, though with the mysterious speed drop at the end of the burning process as described by you. Firmware VS06 solves this problem by lowering the maximum speed to 40X.

With my past experience I’m sure the Ricoh CD-R is able to cope with 48X burning speed. So I turned SMART-BURN off, tip the speed to 48X and tried burning a full 80X data disc.

The burning process took 2:53 min to complete the burning of 80:04 as reported by Nero 5.5.8.2, agin with the infamous speed drop at the end. When I did a ScanDisc with Nero CD Speed, lots of damaged sectors appeared at the end of the disc.

I think I will stick with VS04 until LiteOn solves this problem.

Well, as far as trusting an OLD friend (ricoh in your case), I have my own story to tell.
Since the days of 2X writer (or whenever Imation started making CD-Rs), I’ve tried many different brands and Imation seemed to work great with all the drives I had (Plextor, Philips, Sony, etc…).
However, it seems that Imation can’t seem handle high writing speeds or maybe it’s just LiteOn, since no Imation (CMC) disc has worked well so far (on LiteOn with 40X-48X)

how can i upgrade my LTR-40125s to a LTR-40125w or a LTR-48125W ?

Originally posted by Nhawk
Well, as far as trusting an OLD friend (ricoh in your case), I have my own story to tell.
Since the days of 2X writer (or whenever Imation started making CD-Rs), I’ve tried many different brands and Imation seemed to work great with all the drives I had (Plextor, Philips, Sony, etc…).
However, it seems that Imation can’t seem handle high writing speeds or maybe it’s just LiteOn, since no Imation (CMC) disc has worked well so far (on LiteOn with 40X-48X)

Maybe it’s time to abandon an old friendship if that old friend of mine can’t keep up with the speed race. I would switch to TDK (Ritek) and try again.

Speaking about media i prefer TDK32x and verbatim32x. never had problem with these two brands.

Originally posted by sasha79
Speaking about media i prefer TDK32x and verbatim32x. never had problem with these two brands.

TDK32X is made by 3 companies:
Ritek, CMC, Taiyo Yuden

TDK40X is made by 2 companies:
Ritek, CMC

Ritek 32X seems to work fine @32X and works marginally @40X.
Taiyo Yuden 32X works up to 40X (but has slowdowns @40X)
Ritek 40X works perfectly fine @48X.
CMC 32X doesn’t work well above 24X

And in Europe you may also find TDK 24X, 32X and probably 40/48X as well made by TDK!!!