Liteon LVW 5045 DVD Replacement

vbimport

Hi,

Will this unit work as a replacement? anyone have any experience with this unit?

LiteOn 20A-4P-04.

Thanks,

Warren

Hi warrentyler, I bought one for future use and tested it out and found that like other Liteon burners newer than the Liteon 1693 (and 1635) will work (record, copy, play, just-fit, finalize, rewind, chapter up and down) but will not fast forward DVD±Rs or commercial dvds, it will FF RWs.

I personally use Liteon a 160 (3 years), 165 (2 years) and a 20A1P (1 year) in 3 different ILO HD04s at the moment (5045’s baby brother sent for adoption to Walmart back in 2004 !!!) none of which FF’s, I use other players to watch anyways. I consider loosing FF a small price to pay in getting my recorders to work again. You can always chapter up and rewind if need be.

Liteon burners (and some clones) older than the 1693 will be fully functionnal if you can find one.

You’ll also need to bring the burner to the PC first and get it to play a commercial dvd using software like PowerDvd.

Set the jumper on master before installing it in the recorder.

Look at this link for other compatible drives.

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f102/replacement-drives-liteon-5xxx-recorders-207698/.

Come back if you have any other questions.

Cheers

Hi,

Thanks!

If I am going to replace the DVD Burner, shouldn’t I go to a Liteon Dual-Layer DVD burner, why I am it?

Thanks,

Warren

Doesn’t matter, the chip doesn’t have the dual layer recording command on its installed system. It will also not give a faster burn because of the 20x, it will still burn at 4x max. Buy the best deal (Liteon) you can get.

FYI you can use the Book Type utility to set book type to DVD-ROM for DVD+R media to increase playback compatibility while it’s connected to PC.

Hi,

I got the new DVD burner today and set it up on a PC. Tested everything, downloaded the firmware update off the Liteon site etc. I took the case off and pluged it in on top of the unit for testing. Everything seemed to work that I tested. It could recognize DVD’s commerical, other burned DVD’s, CD’s etc and I tested burning and playing the DVD and everything was good except: Seems you can’t FF with DVD +R it hung.

OK questions: What to do about the old DVD tray, I pulled it out of the old case. Can I pull the new tray out of the new one and put this one in? The way the front of the unit is setup, only the tray can come in from the front…Also the new DVD burner is a little larger that the old hole in the front cover, do I need to trim the metal casing to get it to fit?

Thanks!

Warren

you may find some help here: http://club.cdfreaks.com/f102/liteon-5005-a-103379/index52.html#post1988494

a search on the older Liteon threads will give info on installing the new drive into your 5045

You need to remove the bezel and front plate of the PC burner, it will fit a lot better, and you should be able to put the Liteon bezel back on with a bit of trimming of the front tray grooves to make it fit. There might be some white plastic clips right at the front inside the case where the tray slides out that might need to be trimmed off but no need to trim the metal case.

The old tray will not fit in the new drive, not the same built.

Liteon burner after models 1693 and 1635 (2005 production) will not FF on commercial DVDs and DVD+Rs. You can chapter up and rewind if you want.

[QUOTE=CrazyCanuck;2067718]You need to remove the bezel and front plate of the PC burner, it will fit a lot better, and you should be able to put the Liteon bezel back on with a bit of trimming of the front tray grooves to make it fit. There might be some white plastic clips right at the front inside the case where the tray slides out that might need to be trimmed off but no need to trim the metal case.

The old tray will not fit in the new drive, not the same built.

Liteon burner after models 1693 and 1635 (2005 production) will not FF on commercial DVDs and DVD+Rs. You can chapter up and rewind if you want.[/QUOTE]

Thanks of your response, I just did not have the time to search for the posts on things I did 2-3 years ago. :clap:

Hi.

So you are saying that I need to remove the metal casing around the new DVD burner toward the front and it will fit? How about the tray? Do I use the old one or pull the new one out and put it back in once the new Burner is inside the case?

Thanks,

Warren

Nope, you need to remove the bezel (plastic panel at the front of the tray of the PC drive and also the front plastic face plate. There is no tray swapping. You swap the whole drive.

In reading your question I kinda suspect that what you’re asking is how to remove the old drive out of the recorder, if so follow these steps:

To remove the drive out of the 5045;

First you need to remove the bezel (what covers the hole) from the 5045 by;

1- press eject and unplug, this leaves the tray open without it reacting to being pulled and pushed.

2- you’ll notice that the bezel is attached to an extention (1/4 " or .5 cm) which clips onto the front of the tray so pull the extension from the bottom while at the same time pushing the extension up to release it from the tray.

3- Plug back in and close tray, now you can remove the drive, four screws, 2 on each side.

4- You’ll most likely need to trim, with a very sharp craft knife, the clip points on the front of the tray of the new drive to accomodate the Liteon tray extension.

In my case I also had to add spacers between the extension and the bezel, for spacers I sliced up a stick pen, kept the springs and used longer thinned shafted screws on the extension, not too long as to prevent the extension from clipping back on the tray.

On the new drive, do the same thing, plug it in, open the tray, remove the bezel, close the tray, disconnect, and now remove the front platic face plate, once both the bezel and face plate removed, the drive and tray will fit a lot better.

Hi,

Ok thanks! I also read another post that said to take the new DVD metal housing off and use the housing from the OLD drive. I guess a way to secure it to the inside of the case.

Way too much trouble to switch them over, a lot easier to figure out a way to secure the drive to the bottom.
I use a piece of aluminium folded into an “L” shape and drill holes and secure the drive on the side and bottom of the recorder, need to drill a small hole on the bottom of the recorder and use a very short screw so not to scratch any surfaces that the recorder would be sitting on.

Look at these recent pictures from another user (in a 5006), very imaginative, it fills all the needs, its secure, level and solid.

(with thanks to joedee)

Hi,

I did work with the Old Liteon bezel that attaches to the tray. I did lift up on it and it cam eright off. I was scared to put too much pressure thinking I would damage it. Now to take the Bezel off the new DVD burner and get it installed in the casing. I need to find a way to mount it and make sure the tray will open and close well. Not too sure I will put the OLD Liteon Bezel back, does make much difference to me…Guess it would look more like a factory unit if I did.

Will let you know how it turns out…

May need to ask more questions.

Thanks,

Warren

You might also consider replacing drive as shown at http://club.cdfreaks.com/f102/shw-160p6s-lvw-5005-success-165085/ which seems easier to me.

Yes, I read that also, but I could not find those drives anywhere.

Thanks,

Warren

I got the bezel off the new Burner and now need to find a way to mount it. That shouldn’t be hard, but it seems that the new DVD burner will not fit flush with the case. It is a little too far back, which means the tray can’t close all the way. So I need to figure out how to get it closer to the front of the case. Seems the new DVD burner is wider than the old unit. I did break off the plastic tab toward the front of the case on the right hand side that was blocking it from fitting better. Might have to cut the case opening (Metal) inside the tray area to allow the tray to fit closer toward the opening.

Thanks,

Warren

In my 5005 there were 2 plastic tabs toward front of recorder case that need be trimmed to fit LiteOn SHM-165P6S replacement burner. Maybe the 5045 is different, but it won’t hurt to double check. You might also want to send PM to warrenden in post #92 at http://club.cdfreaks.com/f102/shw-16...uccess-165085/ for possible tips since he did a 5045 burner replacement using a Benq/LiteOn 1670 drive.

OK thanks!

I’ve got the burner pushed ito place from the back against the metal casing using a wooden paint stir stick. hey I just want it to be stable during the opening and closing of the tray. It sits in the TV stand most of the time. The burner is still a little far back into the case to allow the tray to closing without catching so I’ve left off the front bezel…Also it is sealed enough to where no dust can get in the tray area. I will send the other guy a mesaage, would like to get it in securely with a bezel in place.

I have a Lite-On 5045 that works fine but now will not reject. I cannot find the usual manual release pinhole and I took the unit to my normal PC repair shop and had no luck. Any suggestions on how to manually release the DVD/DVR burner?

Thanks