Hello all, I fear the worst, but I'm hoping I missed something..
First, some relevent specs:
- Microsoft Windows XP Professional w/ SP1
- ABIT NF7-S (NForce2) Motherboard
- LiteOn 16x DVD (JLMS XJ-HD166S) as Primary Master (HDD is SATA)
- LiteOn LTR-52327s* Retail Box as Primary Slave
* Purchased Jan-Feb 2004 but 99% sure this is a Rev.1 since I distinctly remember it having a QS0* firmware (was either B, C, or D, but I recall C). It also has November 2003 mfg date on the sticker.
Ok, so about a month ago I downloaded and used the R52QS0E57 firmware from LiteOnIT. No problems. In the 4 weeks since, I haven't actually burnt any cds, but have been using it with no problems. Yesterday upon trying to burn a disk, Nero reports a "Could not perform EndTrack" error when trying to burn at anything above 4x.
Based on my research this most likely meant bad media (though I know the media was good) or incompatability between the media and the drive, which was odd, because I'm sure I had burnt CDs with this media at 8x-12x before without issue. Well since the firmware update was to "match more media" I eventually figured maybe it broke compatability with my cheap disks. So I figured, I'll try downgrading back to QS0C..
Here's approximately what's happened:
- Downloaded the latest firmware R52QS0E58 (because I thought it was new). Of course, it didn't work thinking I was trying to update to the same version.
- Downloaded FlashFix and tried again, it started, went halfway and stopped with an error..
- Downloaded MTKWinFlash and QS0C binary firmware
- MTKWinFlash couldn't detect my drives in ATAPI mode. Tried IDE Mode, MTKWinFlash couldn't get passed initializing, returned this: "ERR: fail to identify the flash type!"
- Drive is no longer accessible in Windows
- After further reading, discover too late that NForce IDE Driver can cause problems, installed Standard MS IDE controller.
- Unplugged DVD-Rom, went to Win98 DOS via boot disk. Using MTKFlash 1.55 (as suggested first step), tried to flash drive, wouldn't budge from 00%. Rebooted.
- Using MTKFlash 1.80.1, flashed drive to QS0C, no problem. Rebooted.
- Windows again sees my drive, but now doesn't recognize any CD I put in. In fact, DOS mode with CD drivers won't recognize any CDs either. The led on the drive blinks about 12-14 times upon inserting a CD and stops (it doesn't seem to be spinning up at all).[li]Tried re-flashing with both LiteOn Flasher and the MTKFlash 1.80.1 with firmwares B through E (all without error), but still nojoy.
[/li]I always made sure to select the correct drive. Although, and you'd probably slap me aside the head for it, I might have had a CD in the drive when trying to reflash at one point...:o..I know..:o...actually I'm curious, what is the effect of that supposed to be?
So anyone have any ideas? Or is my drive a lost cause?