LiteOn LTD-165H - problem making RPC-1

Hi,

It appears that the RPCDE.exe tools for making the LTD-165H latest f/w CH0Z region-free has a problem, can anyone else check this please.

When I try, DriveInfo v2.1 still reports that it has region protection. If I make this proggy Win98 compatible (running WinXP), it only sees my Hard-Drives, strange.

Yes, you’re right. The RPCDE tool needs to updated as this new firmwares changed the RPC method. Same occurs with the 166S model :frowning:

I hope it’s not because Liteon (Jlms) have been forced to do it by the dvd mafia - but there’s a realistic chance it is the case :frowning:

Originally posted by KennyC
[B]Hi,

It appears that the RPCDE.exe tools for making the LTD-165H latest f/w CH0Z region-free has a problem, can anyone else check this please.

When I try, DriveInfo v2.1 still reports that it has region protection. If I make this proggy Win98 compatible (running WinXP), it only sees my Hard-Drives, strange. [/B]

Believe me, it still works.
You have to set rpcde.exe in win98 compatiable mode( in winxp) then excuse it, disable rpc.

Yes, since my last post I got confirmations from owners of both 165 & 166 successfully making it region free with the just published latest firmwares :slight_smile:

Rpcde does not do anything on WinXP/Pro or Win2K if W98 compatibility mode is not enabled. It also needs ASPI layer, preferably ver 4.6 or 4.7

Maybe we’ll get an update soon, but we should be grateful even if we don’t :stuck_out_tongue:

Originally posted by Mango
[B]Yes, since my last post I got confirmations from owners of both 165 & 166 successfully making it region free with the just published latest firmwares :slight_smile:

Rpcde does not do anything on WinXP/Pro or Win2K if W98 compatibility mode is not enabled. It also needs ASPI layer, preferably ver 4.6 or 4.7

Maybe we’ll get an update soon, but we should be grateful even if we don’t :stuck_out_tongue: [/B]

Hi,

I tried installing Win98SE and then used RPCDE.exe to patch my Lite-On LTD-165H’s CH0Z f/w and it works.

From both within Win98SE and WinXP, driveinfo21.exe reports the 165h as Region Free (RPC-1).

http://www.users.on.net/parker/webpics/165p_free.gif

Here’s the RPC-1 patched Region-Free f/w

http://www.users.on.net/parker/webpics/165PCH0Z.zip