Liteon Ltd-163d Dvd-rom

hey not long ago i flashed my DVD drive with a windows update flasher, GHR8 i think it was, now i cant get the DVD reader to read any DVD’s, it can read cds ok tho.
so i got some more firmwares and did the trial/ error thing, i’ve tried GHR7lf.bin the one with the regin unlock on it, GHRA.bin and GHR8.bin, all through dos and cant seem to get them to work.
i never backed my original firmware, can anyone direct me to a place where i can get an earlier firmware that might work with my DVD drive? or does anyone possibly have an original firmware backed up on their puter they can email to me perhaps?

Any help woud br most appreciated

Firmware is not likely to fix your drive. It sounds like your drive is dead.

Can anyone confirm this?

I’ll second dhc014’s opinion. Firmware will not solve your problem.

If you don’t believe us, you could try various firmwares. Digi maintains a collection of them for the 163D. http://digi.rpc1.org/ But I don’t think that firmware will do anything. Either your drive is dying of old age or there’s some sort of system misconfiguration. You could try the drive in another computer to test the system misconfiguration theory.

:confused:

I don’t understand you guys. If the problems started when the firmware was changed, then shouldn’t it be the firmware? I suggest you flash to an official firmware of the drive and check if it comes back to life.

He never said that it started right after a firmware change.

The drive should be able to read DVD’s and CD’s with any firmware version. If DVD’s don’t even show in Explorer it usually means a technical defect. It could be a minor problem like dirt/dust in the optics or something more serious. Try a lens cleaner disc first and if warranty is not an issue and if you’re a bit handy, open the unit and carefully clean the optics. Might or might not help :wink:

“not long ago i flashed my DVD drive with a windows update flasher, GHR8 i think it was, now i cant get the DVD reader to read any DVD’s, it can read cds ok tho.”

• i thought that sentence would be sufficent enough to indicate that these problems started occuring after a firmware update, ok clearly it didnt. Try this one:

“My dvd rom started stuffing up after a firmware update”

hope that works.