Liteon ltd 163

I saw the review at cdr-info and the negative was that
the region is locked (RPC 1) what does it mean??

I don’t know the exact details… but rpc1 means that the drive doesn’t check the regioncode, it leaves the regioncheck all up to the software player on your pc. There is also rpc2, this one is worse… in this case, the drive also checks the region and won’t play it if the dvd hasn’t the right region

As far as I knows all drives are at least rpc1 and nowadays most of them/a lot of them are rpc2

Btw, the LiteOn ltd 163 is rpc2 and can easily be made rpc1!

Yes, there are region free (RPC-1) firmwares for the LTD-163 out there.
I used to think the region lock was a big deal when I first began looking for a DVD-ROM, but it really isn’t for me. Of course, I am in region 1. I realize that for those of you in other parts of the world, this may be more important.
This is an excellent unit, btw.

thanks for the info

Originally posted by nutsack
Yes, there are region free (RPC-1) firmwares for the LTD-163 out there.
I used to think the region lock was a big deal when I first began looking for a DVD-ROM, but it really isn’t for me. Of course, I am in region 1. I realize that for those of you in other parts of the world, this may be more important.
This is an excellent unit, btw.

there isn’t any region free fw for this drive
u can dl a prog to set your drive to rpc1 go to the firmware page
from farzeno

yeh trmin8or
I went to the site u mentioned and tried the firmware G4HE latest from this site and flashed my liteon dvd rom but when I used drive info it first told me that it is rpc1 then second time it said rpc2.

My question is that are the firmwares on that site region free for this drive or do I have to use these firmware and that rpc1 utility u were talking about, or just use the rpc1 utility? Plz explain in either three cases.

thanks