LiteOn LTD-163 DVD-ROM Making Noise

I just bought the new DVD Version of the Lord of the Rings DVD. When I inserted my DVD into my brand new LiteOn LTD163 I heard a shuffling, humming noise before the dvd really took off, like if the dvd was turning already before being lifted by the mechanical hand…

Like if it was turning on the plastic plate… Which, on the long term, can seriously put marks on my beatiful DVD. And I don’t want that…

What can I do ? Is what I am saying right or wrong ? Please help…

:bow: :confused:

Originally posted by Anonymo
[B]I just bought the new DVD Version of the Lord of the Rings DVD. When I inserted my DVD into my brand new LiteOn LTD163 I heard a shuffling, humming noise before the dvd really took off, like if the dvd was turning already before being lifted by the mechanical hand…

Like if it was turning on the plastic plate… Which, on the long term, can seriously put marks on my beatiful DVD. And I don’t want that…

What can I do ? Is what I am saying right or wrong ? Please help…

:bow: :confused: [/B]

You bought the “new DVD Version of the Lord of the Rings DVD”? As opposed to what, the new VHS version of the Lord of the Rings DVD? :smiley:

Your “beautiful DVD”? Are you sure you don’t mean “My precious”? :smiley:

Maybe the LTD163 was humming becuase it didn’t know the words? <ducking>

Seriously though, have you tried any other discs (dvd and or cd) in the drive since to verify they don’t make the noise?

Normally, if I get loud humming/vibration noises, it’s after the disc spins up well over 1X, and is caused by an unbalanced disc (I have one audio CD that is so unbalanced some 32x and faster drives can’t even read it).

Such sounds are normal for any disc on these drives when spinning up or down. It is the metal ball-bearings in the auto balancer spindle shuffling around to the proper positions to balance out the disc. So this is no cause for concern.