LiteOn LH-20A1H slow-write speed

vbimport

Hello everyone:

I’ve recently bought a LiteOn LH-20A1H, but something’s not working the way it should.

I’ve done some testing burns using MCC’s 16x Certified Verbatim DVD-R media and Nero 8 and I’ve got extremely slow writing speeds. Something between 2x-3x. Anyone knows why this could be happening to me?

I also have dowloaded that utility of LiteOn, Smart-Burn Media Check or something like that, and tried activating/deactivating Smart-Write and Hyper-I-don’t-know-what but with no luck.

Also this utility told me that actually the media I’m using is 18x capable.

Any ideas are welcome. Since I bought it recently I supose it was shipped with the latest firmware, LL0C I guess, but I can check if you want me to.

Thanks in advance. Bye.

Check DMA and make sure you have 80 wire ide cables.

[QUOTE=Shibby;1995680]Hello everyone:

I’ve recently bought a LiteOn LH-20A1H, but something’s not working the way it should.

I’ve done some testing burns using MCC’s 16x Certified Verbatim DVD-R media and Nero 8 and I’ve got extremely slow writing speeds. Something between 2x-3x. Anyone knows why this could be happening to me?

I also have dowloaded that utility of LiteOn, Smart-Burn Media Check or something like that, and tried activating/deactivating Smart-Write and Hyper-I-don’t-know-what but with no luck.

Also this utility told me that actually the media I’m using is 18x capable.

Any ideas are welcome. Since I bought it recently I supose it was shipped with the latest firmware, LL0C I guess, but I can check if you want me to.

Thanks in advance. Bye.[/QUOTE]

I have a lite on 20A1H LLOC model but your burn speed is really slow what are you trying to burn??? I turned on my smart-write and Hyper on. Also what kinda DMA settings do you have and what kinda cable are you using and how is your hardware setup? Sometimes the software itself will limit the drive speed cause it determines that is the speed it can function at. Take my old 832S drive with Nero 6 it slowest speed to burn CD-R is 8x and 20A1H slowest is 16x…so the software does play a part in the burn speed limit…Also when burning make sure your HDD is defragged properly as well. When you burn on Nero 8 what settings are you using???

First off, thanks for your answers.

pfloyd1, here’s some additional info, maybe it will be of some help.

Motherboard: Intel D865Perl
Processor: Pentium IV 3.0GHz
Memory: 2x512MB DDR400

I checked my hardware settings on Control Panel- > System -> Device Manager -> DVD/CD-Rom Drives -> LiteOn DVDRW LH-20A1H, but found nothing related to DMA. Later I tried IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers and checked Transfer mode: DMA if available.

I think that the cables are okay, otherways, shouldn’t the DVD’s I burnt be unreadable?

coolcolors, I tried burning some avi files with Nero8’s Nero Express (16x, no multisession, MCC’s 16x Verbatim DVD-R media). Later on, I tried burning an 4GB iso image using Alcohol 120%, but I got the same results. Alcohol measured a max speed of 2.2x during the burning progress.

Thanks again for your support.
Bye.

What was the current transfer mode? Should be UDMA4.

Hi again,

I had the unit wired with a 40pin cable, now I’ve changed it to a 80pin one, so now is sharing the cable with the HDD.

This increased the burning speed notably but the device keeps behaving weirdly. Every time I burn something it starts at something like 16x speed (the way it should be), and when the progress reaches 40-45% there’s always a slowdown and the burning continues at something like 8x speed.

I’ve burned several DVD’s with around 4GB of data and I got times between 7:30 to 9:30 minutes.

I’ve checked the Device Manager for UDMA4, but I found this instead of it.

Transfer mode: DMA Ultra mode 2

I also checked the BIOS settings to see if the device was properly recognized and It was, but I’ve found something that I don’t understand. When the HDD wasn’t sharing the cable with any other device the BIOS said that the cable was of 80pins but, after pluggin-in the burner in the same cable it says that the cable is 40pins. Is this ok?

Thanks for all your support.
I feel we are getting closer to the solution hehehehe.

The dvd drive should not be on the same cable as the HDD.

Ok then I should buy anoter 80 pin cable, because my system only comes with one. The old DVD-ROM drive I have is plugged in one 40pin cable, does it matter if I change it to a 80pin one?

Thanks again.

Hello,

I bought the 80 pin cable and plugged the burner in it. The bios now says that the cable is 80pin and the mode is Ultra DMA 4.

I tested the writer again, but the behavior keeps unaltered, it writes 45-50% at fullspeed and then it slows down till the end. The speed change is also noticeable on the DVD-R’s surface.

At this point I decided to try the burner in another machine to check if it was some internal problem but in the other pc the writing went smoothly, writing the whole dvd in moreless 4-5minutes.

One question. Why is it that the burner and the HDD cannot share the same wire?

Maybe the HDD wire is damaged because the bios says is 40 connector cable and I can say clearly that it is 80pin. That’s why I ask if it’s necesary to have the writer and the hdd plugged in different places.

Thanks for all your support.

[QUOTE=Shibby;1998011]Hello,

I bought the 80 pin cable and plugged the burner in it. The bios now says that the cable is 80pin and the mode is Ultra DMA 4.

I tested the writer again, but the behavior keeps unaltered, it writes 45-50% at fullspeed and then it slows down till the end. The speed change is also noticeable on the DVD-R’s surface.

At this point I decided to try the burner in another machine to check if it was some internal problem but in the other pc the writing went smoothly, writing the whole dvd in moreless 4-5minutes.

One question. Why is it that the burner and the HDD cannot share the same wire?

Maybe the HDD wire is damaged because the bios says is 40 connector cable and I can say clearly that it is 80pin. That’s why I ask if it’s necesary to have the writer and the hdd plugged in different places.

Thanks for all your support.[/QUOTE]

I would just try and change the 80 pin as they are not to expensive compared to the HDD and burner unit…to see if that changes anything…but you can have the HDD and burner on the same cable…you can rip or copy from burner to the HDD and back from HDD to burner. There should be nothing wrong with you doing that…you can separate them if you have a free IDE connector but that is up to you…Don’t believe they can’t not share the same cable I had in my past setup HDD and burner and they were happy to share the same cable…as long as you have the correct DMA and jumper set you be ok with that setup…ie like HDD is master setting and burner is Slave setting on the pin…now if they are separate and the only unit or device on the IDE cable you should remove the jumpers or place them in a position on the pins that doesn’t corresspond to CS, SL, MA this will inform the computer that is the sole device on the unit…the problem aries when you put two device on the cable and don’t set the jumper confusing the computer and I never use CS as this doesn’t work for the computer in my setups…

Try different media.

Finally!!

I changed the HDD cable which the BIOS said that was 40pin (It was really 80pin but seems like it was broken).

Plugged in 80 pin cable (UDMA4):

• Generic DVD-ROM 16x
  • LiteOn LH-20A1H

Plugged in another 80pin cable (UDMA5):

• Maxtor HDD

The writing speed achieved burning full DVD-R (4430MB) is between 5-5:30minutes, which is pretty good (at least if you compare it with the first results).

Thanks for all your support and the patience you had with my lack of knowledge.

Bye.

That’s good to hear…good luck there…