LiteOn LH-20A1H - Quality Scan of CDRs Better?

vbimport

Hi,

I have the LiteOn LH-20A1H. I was just curious about one thing. I have heard in the past that older LiteOn DVD Burners have not been good at scanning for C1/C2 errors on CDRs. However, I was wondering if in this, the newest of the LiteOns, if that has become any better. The reason I ask is, because I will have only two drives. One, this LiteOn, which can do quality scans, and a Pioneer 112, which does NOT do quality scans at all. I just want to know if I need another drive (i.e. a LiteOn CDRW drive or something), to be able to scan my CDRs that I burn or is this LH-20A1H good enough. I actually do burn a descent amount of CDRs, that is why correct quality scanning of these are important to me. Thanks.

SuperG

Judging from this scan posted in the Blank CD-R(W) Media tests forum, I’d say the LiteOn 18x and 20x generation drives also only report C1=E31 instead of C1=E11+E21+E31, or to put it another way these drives only report errors that fail C1 error correction while ignoring errors that are C1 correctable.

So does that mean it is NOT a good scanning drive? If so, what drive do you recommend that would give me the most accurate reading of CDRs (not that concerned about DVDRs scanning, because the LH-20A1H does fine on them)?

If anyone has the LiteOn LH-20A1H, it would be great if you could burn a test CDR and then scan it with the LiteOn LH-20A1H and with a traditional CDRW drive that is known to do an accurate job on scanning CDRs. Then post those two screen shots. I don’t have any CDRW drives to do that with.

Here is a scan I just did of a TY CDR disc burned back in 2002. Not sure if it is accurate.

Thanks in advance to all that can help.

SuperG

Hi,

Forget Liteon DVDRW drives for scanning CD media.

If so, what drive do you recommend that would give me the most accurate reading of CDRs
Best scanning drives for CD-R are Benq DW 1640/1650/1655, but they are hard to get. Maybe a Plextor…

Michael

So does this mean the drive is not accurately showing me all the errors on a burned CDR? This would be bad for me, as I do CDROM mastering on this machine with my LH-20A1H.

My blank Sony’s that have been sitting in the window sill for a year are reporting lots of errors… :doh: Does that mean it’s reading them properly?

Agreed. A Plextor PX-760/755/716/712 DVD burner or Plextor Premium/Premium2 CD-RW burner is also a very good choice, but they are more expensive and production has stopped.

If you’re lucky with a Sony NEC Optiarc drive, then an AD-5170/7170/7173A can be a good CD scanner, but these drives are temperamental scanners and in my experience NEC has terrible quality control with these drives, so there are no guarantees.

LiteOn CD-RW drives are consistent CD scanners, but the most recent 5239V and 5238S are too tolerant of disc defects for my taste. See this thread:

Scanning CDRs - which drive?

That’s correct. It doesn’t include E11 and E21 when reporting C1 unlike most other drives.

Like most other drives it doesn’t include E12 and E22 when reporting C2.

My blank Sony’s that have been sitting in the window sill for a year are reporting lots of errors… :doh: Does that mean it’s reading them properly?
You have destroyed your own CDs. Recordable media doesn’t like heat or sunlight. And your LiteOn is reporting horrible results, even though it’s ignoring some of the errors!

Crap… That’s bad news for me. I need to get another drive then.

My Window sill Sony’s were garbage. I pulled one out just to see what the drive would do with a bad disk :slight_smile:

I have another DVDROM drive, LiteOn SOHD-16P9S, are ALL liteon drives bad scanners?

I just dug into my closet (if you noticed, I tend to not throw things out, hence the Sony’s) and found an old HP CD Writer Plus 7200 Series. If this still works, would it be an ok scanner? I also have a Dell Laptop with a Toshiba 16x DVDROM drive.

Sorry for all the questions, I’m a little concerned now, since I do a lot of CDR mastering.

Thanks for the info. I might be able to get my hands on an old Memorex 52x24x52x CDRW Drive. That drive, from my understanding is just a rebadged LiteOn LTR-52246S. I believe my old computer sitting has that drive in it. Would that, in your opinion do a sufficient job? The other choice would be to spend another $60 for a BenQ 1640 drive, or even more for a Plextor drive.

Thanks.

SuperG

I guess I just answered one of my own questions. My SOHD-16P9S reports a completely different result for the exact same CD. :frowning:

I don’t know how that drive will work for CD scanning.

I just dug into my closet (if you noticed, I tend to not throw things out, hence the Sony’s) and found an old HP CD Writer Plus 7200 Series. If this still works, would it be an ok scanner? I also have a Dell Laptop with a Toshiba 16x DVDROM drive.
I had a HP CD-Writer Plus 7200 external myself, it was my first drive and cost a fortune. I’m afraid I don’t remember whether it will do (useful) CD scans, but my guess is probably not. I don’t know about the Toshiba.

Sorry for all the questions, I’m a little concerned now, since I do a lot of CDR mastering.
No problem. Ask away, but there’s no guarantee we can answer all your questions. :slight_smile:

Maybe a Plextor…:eek: I can’t believe Drage let you off easy on that one. I will take the Plex or a Lite on CD-RW choices for scanning CD’s.:stuck_out_tongue: Sorry for going a little off topic.

Hi,

:bigsmile:

I will take the Plex or a Lite on CD-RW choices for scanning CD’s.:stuck_out_tongue:
Recent Liteon CDRW drives like the SOHR-5239V are too tolerant for CD scanning, so there aren’t many options left.
Sorry for going a little off topic.
Liteon CDRW drives are ontopic here, aren’t they? :smiley:

Michael

Oops. Although that is a thread about CD scanning, it’s not the one I wanted to link to in order to show how the 5238S and 5239V are for scanning. That would be the following thread instead:

a drive for scanning CDs

Yeah, I see what you mean about the 5238S and the 5239V being too tolerant. So what do you think about what I was saying above, i.e. the Memorex 52x24x52x CDRW Drive. That drive, from my understanding is just a rebadged LiteOn LTR-52246S. Thanks.

SuperG

I’m not sure how that drive behaves as a scanner compared to the later models, because I don’t have such a drive and I can’t remeber seeing any direct comparisons of scans with this drive. So I really can’t say.

I have seen posts indicating that the newer LiteOn CD-RW burners are not as good for writing quality as some of the older ones, so if I could get my hands on an older LTR-52246S I would buy it if the price was reasonable, but if you take a look at my sig you’ll see I like to have lots of drives. :smiley:

If you want to test the scanning behaviour of your drives, or drives you can borrow, you can do what I did - make your own test CD. There are instructions on how to do that on the Nero CD-DVD Speed site, but I did it in a simpler way.

Start with a CD with really good quality, such as a CD-R burned at an optimal speed on a good burner. This should be a CD that you don’t need for any other purpose than testing. Then take a black permanent marker pen and write a line on part of the disc data side so that it goes from the center outwards. The line shouldn’t be wider than 1-2mm (1mm = 0.04 inch) and should not go all the way in to where the data begins.

You can then use this test disc to compare how different scanning drives report C1/C2 errors on that disc. Such a disc will have C2 errors of the E22 kind and perhaps also E32 errors. Most scanning drives will report only E32 as C2 errors, while a few drives will report also E22.

For more information, check the two threads I linked to above.

Ok thanks for the information. I will try what you suggested and try a test disc like that.

SuperG

OK, I was able to get my hands on the LiteON CDRW drive, and it does a much better job of scanning CDRs as DrageMester said, Thanks.

Quick question to DrageMester. You mentioned that the drive doesn’t report the other Exx errors. Is the non-reporting a result of the hardware not supporting it, the firmware not supporting it, or the software not supporting it? Thanks.

SuperG

Probably not software, because both CDSpeed and KProbe have the same problem of only showing E31 as C1 errors. I don’t know whether it’s hardware or firmware.