Liteon LH-20A1H and BENQ 1655 - master and slave configuration

vbimport

Hi,
Some (especially old) drives, connected to the IDE port as pair, not work properly in master-slave configuration. I tried to use LiteOn LH-20A1H (master) and BENQ-1655 (slave) drives (standard cable) with Gigabyte P55A-UD4 mainboard in the multi operating system computer. There are strange problems with both drives, especially with 20A1H. What do You think about? There are known problems with both drives working together or it’s only mb, os or driver configuration problem?
Regards,
f.

[QUOTE=AlKwas;2611769]Hi,
Some (especially old) drives, connected to the IDE port as pair, not work properly in master-slave configuration. I tried to use LiteOn LH-20A1H (master) and BENQ-1655 (slave) drives (standard cable) with Gigabyte P55A-UD4 mainboard in the multi operating system computer. There are strange problems with both drives, especially with 20A1H. What do You think about? There are known problems with both drives working together or it’s only mb, os or driver configuration problem?
Regards,
f.[/QUOTE]

What kinda ribbon cable are you using? 40 pin or 80 pin??? What kinda motherboard do you have and did you update the BIOS firware? Not knowing what kinda motherboard your using make it hard to know what and how your connections are.

Hi,

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2611770]What kinda ribbon cable are you using? 40 pin or 80 pin??? What kinda motherboard do you have and did you update the BIOS firware? Not knowing what kinda motherboard your using make it hard to know what and how your connections are.[/QUOTE]
You don’t read my post - Gigabyte P55A-UD4 motherboard (rev. 2) and standard, i.e. 40-pin ribbon cable. The high-speed cable has 40 pin also, but 80 wires. I’m using standard, low-speed cable. Both drives are UDMA-2 units and theoretically don’t need high-speed cable. Unfortunately, all my 80-wires cables have second connector in uncomfortable position.
Regards,
f.

The LH-20A1H likes to work in UDMA4 mode when possible. I think the BenQ might still only be UDMA2.

If the LH-20A1H is only negotiating UDMA2, you may have to disconnect the BenQ and LiteOn, boot up to let Windows see that neither is connected, then shut back down, reconnect only the LiteOn, and start back up to see if UDMA4 is negotiated. (The equivalent activity would be to uninstall both drives using device manager in Windows, uninstall the PATA channels in Windows, then shut down, unplug only the BenQ, start the computer, and see if Windows reinstalls everything with the LiteOn negotiating UDMA4).

If you still have issues with the LiteOn, try a different cable. If that still doesn’t work, your drivers in Windows may not be set up properly. If trying different drivers still doesn’t help, check the motherboard BIOS. If that still fails, the PATA controller on your motherboard may not work well with optical drives.

[QUOTE=Albert;2611781]The LH-20A1H likes to work in UDMA4 mode when possible. I think the BenQ might still only be UDMA2.
(…)
If you still have issues with the LiteOn, try a different cable. If that still doesn’t work, your drivers in Windows may not be set up properly. If trying different drivers still doesn’t help, check the motherboard BIOS. If that still fails, the PATA controller on your motherboard may not work well with optical drives.[/QUOTE]
Thank You for answer. You are right. LiteOn is detected as UDMA-4 device while BENQ - UDMA-2. In this case 40-wires cable was probably a source of problems. In my old computer system LiteOn worked fine in UDMA-2 mode with low-speed cable. There are problems with this drive transfered to the new computer. It can’t read some CD-ROMs and DVD-ROMs, even if it’s connected to the mb with the brand-new 80-wires cable as a single unit. The mb’s bios was updated. The PATA controller on the motherboard is for optical drives mainly, I suppose.

What do You think about configuration described above (after changing the cable, of course)? Two units working with different modes on the same cable - it isn’t a good idea probably.
Regards,
f.

There is no problem of having an UDMA4 drive and a UDMA2 drive on the same cable. I’d use the UDMA4 drive jumpered as Master and hooked to the cable’s end connector. The other drive as Slave and on the middle connector.

More likely, there might be compatibility issues with the add-on IDE controllers soldered onto modern mainboards than a “two drives on one cable” problem (unless you are doing something wrong).

[QUOTE=AlKwas;2611774]nfortunately, all my 80-wires cables have second connector in uncomfortable position.[/QUOTE]How that? Then either the motherboard has a lousy design or you chose insufficient mounting positions for your drives.

Last resort: You could install the Liteon in an external case.

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2611819]Then either the motherboard has a lousy design or you chose insufficient mounting positions for your drives.[/QUOTE]
Unfortunately, the motherboard design is not optimal for PATA optical drives.
If LiteOn and BENQ do not hate each other, I must experiment with cables.
f.

[QUOTE=AlKwas;2611833]Unfortunately, the motherboard design is not optimal for PATA optical drives.[/quote]Throwing in a PATA PCI controller card is no option? This one (Delock 70098) can be flashed to non-RAID (officially supported by the manufacturer) and is available in several european countries.

If LiteOn and BENQ do not hate each other, I must experiment with cables.
Anything different from the standard 18" (45 cm) flat ribbon cable might cause trouble. Not necessarily, but you should be informed about that.

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2611930]Throwing in a PATA PCI controller card is no option?[/QUOTE]
I want to use LiteOn as a bootable drive. The PATA controller on the mainboard ensures comfortable boot options. I want to use 3 PATA drives so an additional PATA PCI controller is necessary. I have old WinFast ATA66 controller with bios. Unfortunately, in the past it wasn’t supported by linux. I must test it using new distributions.

[QUOTE=mciahel;2611930]Anything different from the standard 18" (45 cm) flat ribbon cable might cause trouble. Not necessarily, but you should be informed about that.[/QUOTE]
The problem is not a total length of the cable but the position of the middle connector.
Regards,
f.

[QUOTE=AlKwas;2611941]I have old WinFast ATA66 controller with bios. Unfortunately, in the past it wasn’t supported by linux. I must test it using new distributions. [/quote]This is fossile hardware. According to this review (http://www.speedy3d.com/reviews/leadtek_ata66/01.shtml) it must be from the late nineties. For some reasons I do not have much hope for working drivers of that beast.

The problem is not a total length of the cable but the position of the middle connector.
And you can not rearrange your drives? There is no problem in having a few millimetres of air between two ODD :wink:

But since you have that controller card, you can connect your Litey alone to the onboard controller, and your other drives to the controller (provided you can get it up and running)

Michael

Thank You for answer. Now, there are problems with Win7 drivers. Linux works fine. Probably, the best solution is new SATA drive instead of LH-20A1H.
Regards.