LiteOn LDW 811S Problem

Hi CDFreaks,

Not to interject inappropriately, but I saw in a footnote in this forum where COdeKing had mentioned that this was the place for someone such as myself who’s LiteOn LDW811S had it’s eeprom wiped some time back when my system was hacked and subsequently experienced a complete failure, harddrive, power transformer, the works!

Actually, it was in the “eeprom utility” thread, but I’ve posted this message and request there and got no response, so I’ve moved it here instead. If this is still the wrong place to post, I’ve no problem with it being moved. I simply need some help and cannot find the solution anywhere else in any thread or forum on this site

Up until that time my dvd burner had worked just fine for my purposes, but after overhauling my toasted power pack and resurrecting my pc, which required my retiring the 160 gig hdd for recovery attempts of the data later, and installing another Maxtor drive, I found that the burner wouldn’t function anymore.

In researching data for repair I found your site and have learned a great deal about LiteOn drives and burners that I had no clue about before.

I’ve attempted reflashing the drive with the original and subsequent firmware and each time I get a message indicating the reflash was successful. The unit is recognized by my system(s), which are XP Pro and Home, and it will power up and run o.k. when a disc is inserted, but cannot recognize the disc and the light will flash steadily for an indefinite period, and finally a series of faster flashes and then it goes out.

To include specific mobo data here is irrelevant, as I’ve several different units the burner can and has been tried in. Each of which is more than capable of supporting it in it’s fully functioning capacity and of being able to be used in any of the methods required to attempt resurrection of it through use of any of the available utilities for same.

My hunch is that the eeprom programming was wiped when my system had the power spike that caused the total crash.

Since now it appears that it’s acceptable to request that one of you might take the trouble to copy and forward the their eeprom for one of these units to me so that I can try installing it and make one last attempt at resurrecting this unit, I’m asking for anyone who has one of these burners, and who wouldn’t mind taking the time to do so to send me a copy of the initial eeprom from their unit. I have all of the utilities you guys have and have created, and have tried everything else I’ve found in all of your forums to bring this burner back on line.

This seems like the only likely cause that’s keeping it from functioning as it should. Since it already isn’t working I don’t have anything to lose by trying this course of action to repair it.

I hadn’t any knowledge of how these particular burners function when I bought it, so I had no clue then about backing up any programming.
And since there’s nothing on it to back up now, it does me little good to try anything else. I did try the “dead drive” option available in one of the utilities, but got zip for results.

Don’t mean to go on and on, but you deserve to know what and why before my asking for your help.

If any of you have further suggestions as to other likely causes and/or cures for this malfunction I’m willing to hear them.

I’m not up on these drives like you guys, but I’m no slouch either. So I’ll answer any questions any of you might have as best as I can if you think you might have an alternate solution or explanation.

My email address is available for replies if anyone so chooses to help by sending their eeprom programming to me. If you click through on my id you’ll get access to my address.

Thanks for your time. I’ll let everyone know if I’ve any success in installing the eeprom from a different unit in it. I’m sure that it would be good to know if it’s successful. I’m sure that some of you can provide more specific information and knowledge than I presently possess in the correct means by which this resurrection attempt should be undertaken, and your input and advise is welcomed.

Thanks again,

ishi52

Since now it appears that it’s acceptable to request that one of you might take the trouble to copy and forward the their eeprom for one of these units to me so that I can try installing it and make one last attempt at resurrecting this unit, I’m asking for anyone who has one of these burners, and who wouldn’t mind taking the time to do so to send me a copy of the initial eeprom from their unit. I have all of the utilities you guys have and have created, and have tried everything else I’ve found in all of your forums to bring this burner back on line.
Welcome. :slight_smile:
EEPROM data is drive dependent and you shouldn’t load EEPROM from other drives.

Spare you from greif and hassle, buy a new drive. You’ll get a decent burner for $35/£20. :wink:

Pinto2,
H’lo, and thanks at least for the honor of acknowledging that I posted!
Perhaps in your neck of the woods you can pick a burner up for $35, But where I live it’s gonna nick you about a $100 to get anything besides something from a pawn shop!
I picked up a different brand anyway… I’m no fan of Liteon… They had their chance and refused to even warranty the unit, so they can stuff it, as far as I’m concerned.
BTW, I ran the new utility on my 811S and it tells me that the eeprom and firmware are o.k. But that doesn’t seem to make any difference to the burner… It still thinks it’s broken… and I tend to agree… and I’m seriously considering that it be into little pieces so there’s no doubt about how broken it is!

ishi52