Liteon LDW-811S - burn quality, cpu usage

vbimport

I'm interested in the LITEON LDW-811S because of the many options for an affordable price!, but some points make me hesitating:

1. Burn quality - is the quality high enough? (compatibility with stand-alone dvd-players, durability of the medium)
  2. High cpu usage: won't it be a problem for other programs running on the computer or general stability?
  3. Firmwares: what is the quality of liteon firmwares and how frequently are the updates compared to plextor drives?
  4. Speed: is in practive, the speed to much lower compared to plextor drives?

It's really difficult to make a good choice. The more you read reviews, threads, the more confusing everything becomes.

Thanks
maxicosy

nothing wrong with the Liteon 811s
its as good as any other of the major brands
(far better than Sony)
but the NEC 2500a is £10 cheaper

I have both…save yourself £10

Burn quality is good if you use good media. With bitsetting to book type DVD-ROM on decent +R discs, compatibility with standalone players is almost universal.

It’s always safest to burn with nothing running in the background, but I am ripping and burning as I write this ;>) CPU usage and stability aren’t a problem in a fast system with plenty of memory, and the 811S is no better or worse in that regard than any other DVD burner.

Firmware updates are frequent, more frequent than any other brand. Some here will tell you that’s because there’s still things to fix. Me, I’m quite happy.

Speed is more or less equal, though some reviews show the LiteOn finishing a few seconds behind the Plextor. There’s a good review on the cdfreaks website.

Thanks for the info. I think I will go for the LITEON LDW-811S for the following reasons:

Advantages:

1. excellent burn quality
  2. check burn quality with kprobe
  3. regular firmware updates
  4. regio free (with patch)
  5. excellent price (compared to plextor)
  6. bitsetting on DVD+R

Disadvantages: (Hope I can cope with it :slight_smile:

1. no Mount Rainier support (hope it will be added later)
  2. High CPU ussage
  3. I can’t tell any other disadvantages

If someone wants to comment, please, go ahead!

Maxicosy

I’m sure someone will correct me if I’m wrong, but I think CPU usage is a function of software rather than hardware. I can’t imagine that one burner would be significantly worse than another in that category. I can say it’s never been a problem for me, and I’m a multitasking mofo.

:cool:

Originally posted by wittangamo
I’m sure someone will correct me if I’m wrong, but I think CPU usage is a function of software rather than hardware. :cool:

Both, and you are not ‘wrong’.

But, no (new) software will ever give you a ‘low’ CPU load, if your hardware is out of ‘date’. :smiley:

Originally posted by maxicosy
[B]Thanks for the info. I think I will go for the LITEON LDW-811S for the following reasons:

Advantages:

1. excellent burn quality
  2. check burn quality with kprobe
  3. regular firmware updates
  4. regio free (with patch)
  5. excellent price (compared to plextor)
  6. bitsetting on DVD+R

Disadvantages: (Hope I can cope with it :slight_smile:

1. no Mount Rainier support (hope it will be added later)
  2. High CPU ussage
  3. I can’t tell any other disadvantages

If someone wants to comment, please, go ahead!

Maxicosy [/B]

Can be picky with cheap media. But you don’t want to use cheap media in any burner really because well it’s cheap and adds more headaches/coasters then it’s worth.

According to CDRLabs, when reading a DVD, the cpu usage seems to be +/- 2 times higher than for a plextor-dvd writer.
http://www.cdrlabs.com/reviews/index.php?reviewid=214&page=Performance

Maxicosy

I can’t explain those numbers, but I don’t think they’re typical.

I can tell you for a fact I’ve NEVER seen 100% CPU usage during an 8X burn, even when I have several other programs running in the background. I don’t think you will either.

Originally posted by wittangamo
I can’t explain those numbers, but I don’t think they’re typical.

Typical?.. This is the setup in that review:

CPU: AMD Athlon XP 1700+ 1.47GHz
Motherboard: AOpen AK77-333 with BIOS R1.16
Memory: 256MB PNY PC2100 DDR
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce2 GTS - v40.72 Detonators
Hard Drive: 30GB Maxtor ATA 100 7200RPM
Network Card: Netgear FA311 10/100 NIC
Operating System: Windows XP SP1 - VIA 4in1 v4.43

Hmm, In my eyes rather ‘typical’ setup though. :smiley:

BTW, don´t forget, 811S is basicly an “upgraded” 401S in design. :bigsmile:

OK, so maybe my P4C 2.4C @ 275x12=3.3ghz with a gig of PC3700 isn’t “typical.”

But I just did a Nero burn to test while running two browser windows in IE6, reading newsgroups in Outlook 2000, and downloading a movie via BitTorrent all at the same time.

CPU usage never got above 4%.

I still say there was some other variable in that review that was unaccounted for. Why would one burner use 45% of the cpu and another 100 doing the same job with the same software? Config difference – cable or jumper, IDE driver, DMA?

I assume the reviewer is competent, but there’s something that doesn’t make sense about those results. I just don’t see double the cpu useage, and I haven’t heard anybody else here complain about burns taking 100% unless something is set up wrong.

@wittangamo

what’s ur system set up, it sounds interesting. plus, what board, memory, cooling etc are u using to get ur system to OC it by that much?

Always happy to brag ;>)

P4C 2.4@275x12=3.3ghz. Vantec Aeroflow hsf.
Abit IC7, bios 19
4x256-meg Buffalo Technology PC3700 (Winbond BH-5, same as the much more expensive Mushkin Level II Black PC3500.)
Running at a 5:4 cpu:ram ratio, which has the memory at 220 mhz, 2,3,2,6
Sapphire Radeon 9500 non pro, modded and overclocked to 9700 Pro
W-D and IBM 7200-rpm hard drives (No SATA yet.)
LiteOn 401S@411S@811S, plus a LiteOn LTD-163 for company.

Solid as a rock, loops MemTest86, Prime95, etc, til the cows come home. 3DMark '03 of 5300+, Sandra buffered memory scores of 5850+, slams a stock P4 3.2 in every category.

Not the fastest machine in captivity, but it is ultra reliable and gives me a lot of bang for the buck.

:rolleyes: …wow…:eek:

was all ur processor OCing done in the bios just by pushing up values, or was there more to it than that? I’m lookin for a desktop system and the appeal of P4’s just went celestial with that type of oc capability. So was it all in the board? (apart from hi spec memory and cooling)

As far as CPU usage and multi-tasking during burning is concerned: If you have an Athlon 1600+ or faster with 512 megs of RAM and a recent 7200rpm harddisk, don’t worry about a thing!

You do need to put together the right components, but the P4C core is the same from 2.4 to 3.2 so they are all pretty much equal in overclocking potential.

When I built mine, the 2.4 was a lot cheaper, so I had to get a high fsb and that meant good ram.

These days the cpu of choice for overclocking is a 2.6. It’s pretty cheap and has a 13X multiplier. That means you can hit 3.25g with 250 fsb, which is not that tricky with a good board like the IC7.

At that point, it comes down to how much you have to spend on memory. PC4000 will let you run 1:1 for best performance, but it’s amost all CAS 3 and you don’t have a lot of OC headroom.

At 5:4, 250 fsb is just 200 on the memory, so CAS 2 PC3200 works great, costs less, and the penalty for running asynch isn’t that bad.

But the real hardcores use low-latency PC3500 or PC3700 at 5:4, and with proper cooling can push 3.5 ghz or better. There are some in the forums at www.abit-usa.com hitting fsbs of around 300.

All this is OT here, but I post as Skid in alt.comp.hardware.overclocking and alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit, where there are plenty of folks willing to offer advice. Some of it is even worth taking.

:stuck_out_tongue:

I want to make slight distinction to my question. I have been using plextor writers for more than 5 years from now and today I want to change to the LITE-ON 811S. This drives is really much cheaper and offers some functionality not found with other drives (k-probe, bitsetting, …)

BUT
I hear quite many people having problems with this drive that I again hesitate for this drive.

Is this drive so bad or can I just about a few isolated cases?

Over two weeks, there is a big computer exhibition in Belgium, I expect good prices, and I would like to know before which drive I finally going will buy.

Thanks
Maxicosy

stick on some good firmware like HS0K, feed it good media like any ritek G04 -Rs and ricoh +Rs (bitset to rom for maximum compatibility) and ur sorted and styling. if unsure of which media ur player will take, just use some +Rs and bitset.
There IS better media like Taiyo Yuden + and -, but they certainly come at a cost.