Liteon ldw-411s is killing my grphic card!

vbimport

I just purchased the liteon ldw-411s dvd burner. When I nstalled the burner my graphic card went dead. I tried to reinstall drivers and reinstall card. That didn’t work. I put back the original drive and the card lit back up. The graphic card is an xtasy nividia tnt 100/200mx card. How can I get the card and the burner to work on my computer. Hp 7850 Pavilion with 512 ram and pIII@933mhz?
Thanks!!

Maybe you need a more powerful power supply.

I was always running to drives on my computer. The original cd burner was running 12v and pulling 1.7 amps. The Liteon runs 12v also but only pulls 1.5 amps. So I don’t think I have a power problem. I also tried to disconnect the cd rom drive and only power the Liteon and that didn’t work.

I did notice that when there was power to the liteon, but the ide cable was not attached The card worked fine. However, I know the ide cable is okay becasuse when I hook the cdburner back up everything is okay.

Not sure what else to do. Any input other than a power problem or a more detailed explananation on the possible power problem. Thanks again!!

upgrading the video card to a newer model would be a good start, maybe not the answer you are looking for, but there are some nice 3d gaming cards available fairly cheap, and they would give a nice enhancement to your system :slight_smile:

On the other hard, try getting the latest version of the drivers for the tnt card and try again, also look in the bios, and see if you can change the irq the graphics card is using… that might change things a bit.

How do you know it’s the gfx card? Do you hear any beeps when the LiteOn is installed and you try to start the system? Do you have the jumpers set properly? Have you tried both IDE channels?

Although rare, it is not unheard of for two pieces of hardware to conflict, I just have a feeling it may be something else…

Edit: Just to let you know cross posting is not allowed on CDfreaks.
http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=528861#post528861

!!Sorry about the cross posting. I’m new to the forum!!!

I know the graphic card is dead, because the monitor won’t turn on and when I hook up the monitor to the intergrated connection It works. I than went into my display adapters and my nividia drivers were gone. Only the driver for the integrated chipset was there.

I tried unplugging everything execpt the graphic card and the liteon and the graphic card still didn’t work. But i was always running 2 drives so I’m pretty sure its not a power problem.
Any more ideas would be great.
Thanks!

Originally posted by toby001
[B]!!Sorry about the cross posting. I’m new to the forum!!!

I know the graphic card is dead, because the monitor won’t turn on and when I hook up the monitor to the intergrated connection It works. I than went into my display adapters and my nividia drivers were gone. Only the driver for the integrated chipset was there.

I tried unplugging everything execpt the graphic card and the liteon and the graphic card still didn’t work. But i was always running 2 drives so I’m pretty sure its not a power problem.
Any more ideas would be great.
Thanks! [/B]

This may sound silly, but do you always keep the integrated video ENABLED in your bios ? If so, DISABLE it. Disable any integrated peripherals you do not use, then set the boot order to AGP card first (assuming your card is an AGP), save and exit from your bios. (do this whilst your burner is unplugged.

See if it helps.

It sounds weird though. :slight_smile:

BTW, it’s very unlikely to be a power supply problem with this type of consumption.

I disabled the intergrated chipset and set the bios to boot to the card first and that did not work.

Right now the only way I found to get this to work temporarily is to pull the ide cable from the liteon out after the shutdown and during the middle of the boot up process plug in the ide cable back in.
My question in regards to that is will that do any damage plugging that in in the middle of the boot up.
The real fix is still needed.
Thanks again!

I say try a new ide cable…as weird as it may sound I had a “new” cable with my dvd rom and placed my dvd burner in on a seaparate channel and for some reason dvd rom would not work…tinkered…changed ide cables and boom all was well