LITEON LDW-411s - I give up - I'll return the drive to the store tomorrow

Ok, I waited patiently for the new firmware to be released, hoping it would solve the problems.

Tried today new firmware FS07 but I still haven’t got any DVD-R written perfectly.
The discs are 80% readable but i ger ‘redundance error’ in some files. ALWAYS this kind of error with DVD- They don’t evan pass the nero verify after the burning process.
DVD- Media tested=
LG 4x DVD-R (only 1x speed selectable!!! and the result is a coaster)
EMTEC 2x DVD-R (nero verify reports an error at 89% of the disk)

DVD+R seems to work better, but I’ve tried SONY DVD+R 4x (this in NOT cheap media) and it ONLY writes it at 2,4x with NERO 6 (no other speed selectable, even 1x speed is not in the options), this is weird because in the LITEON 401s drive of my friend the same media is written at 4x.
Very very strange

This is a crap drive and should be returned to the store. why should I keeo a DUAL drive that ONLY writes DVD+ well?
I will return it as soon as possible, I encourage you to do so, this way LITE ON will think better next time they will want to release an INCOMPLETE drive in the market.
I don’t want to wait another MONTH for the new FIRMWARE release, and I’m sure that it still won’t solve anything anyhow.

So tell me if you agree with me or not, and if not, WHY shouldn’t I replace this junk with a PIONEER or a TEAC drive
I can’t stand it anymore, I already trew in the trashcan 10 DVD-R!!
What a waste of money and time.

RM

I personally have the Pioneer 106D Writer, and both the Liteon 401S and 411S.

I would rate the pioneer drive at very nearly 10 out of 10 for DVD burning. CD burning is adequate but not great.

I would rate both the Liteon drives at 2 out of ten. They both burn acceptable DVD+R(W) media, but are terrible at DVD-R(W)
The liteon drives do actually burn CD-R(W) media very well, and can copy protected games (like Safedisc 2.9, and Securom - with the right tools).

It seems to me that Pioneer have really got the “dash” media sorted out, and many others are struggling.

Why not wait until Pioneer release their 8x drive in the very near future?

Can you post the output from DVDInfoPro?

EMTEC DVD-R is an absolutely low quality medium. Even if I burn them single speed they are crap.

If your Sony DVD+R isn’t certified for 4x (look into the media descriptor with DVDInfoPro) you’ll never burn them at 4x.

If you want a recorder that burn everything with full drive speed, go and get a NEC1300A with a hacked firmware. But don’t complain about crap discs, too. A low quality manufacturer doesn’t get better with other drives and burning at higher speeds than specified.

BTW: Burned a MCC (Verbatim) DVD-R with 4x and the result’s pretty nice. Only about 6000 PIs and 16 POs. Never get this before.

This I agree on: The pioneer/teac is a much better drive it seems.

This I disagree on:

Even if the drive is unable to write to two relatively unknown DVD-R types which is most likely very low quality, it’s not crap!

You should have tried some better DVD-R like ritek, taiyo yuden, maxell, mitsubishi etc…

If it failed on these well known types, then I would be willing to agree with you on the drive being crap.

Ok, sorry if i’ve been rude, but this drive really pissed me off.
here’s the results with DVDinfopro on the three brand of DVD media that I’ve tried so far:
(I hope that this are the info that you want because it’s the first time that I use DVDinfoPro.)

LG DVD-R 4x - Media Information - coaster

Region information N/A not a DVD-VIDEO
Media code/Manufacturer ID LGE04
Format Capacity 4.36GB(4.68GB)
Book Type DVD-R
Media Type DVD-R
Media Id Code Speed Unknown
Available Write Descriptor CLV 1.0x 1385KBps
Write Strategy Speed 4.0x 5540KBps
2x Speed OPC beta 09
2x Speed OPC power 0D
2x Write Strategy field 1 11 B8 88 80
2x Write Strategy field 2 88 80 00 00 00 00
4x Speed OPC beta 03
4x Speed OPC power 16
4x Write Strategy field 1 0A 0B 01 06
4x Write Strategy field 2 99 05 0D 0B
4x Write Strategy field 3 00 00 00 00
4x Speed OPC beta multi-pulse 06
4x Speed OPC power multi-pulse 17
4x Write Strategy field 4 15 B8 88 65
4x Write Strategy field 5 B6 79 8C C0 00 00

EMTEC DVD-R 2x - Media Information - coaster

Media code/Manufacturer ID OPTODISCK001
Format Capacity 4.34GB(4.66GB)
Book Type DVD-R
Media Type DVD-R
Media Id Code Speed 1.0x 1385KBps
Available Write Descriptor CLV 2.0x 2770KBps
Write Strategy Speed 1.0x 1385KBps
Data area starting sector 30000h
Data area end sector 22B75Fh
Linear Density 0.267um/bit
Track Density 0.74um/track
Number of Layers 1

SONY DVD+R 2,4x - Media Information
burned OK at 2,4x but i swear that the same media was burnt OK in a LITEON 401s and at 4x speed, same results with DVDINFOPRO results)

Media code/Manufacturer ID RICOHJPNR00
Format Capacity 4.34GB(4.66GB)
Book Type DVD+R
Media Type DVD+R
Media Id Code Speed 2.4x 3324KBps
Available Write Descriptor CLV 2.4x 3324KBps
Data area end sector 22B75Fh
Number of Layers 1

EMTEC DVD+R 2,4x - Media Information

• BURN OK (slow reading in some parts but no errors)

Media Information                            

Media code/Manufacturer ID OPTODISCOP1
Format Capacity 4.36GB(4.68GB)
Book Type DVD+R
Media Type DVD+R
Media Id Code Speed 2.4x 3324KBps
Data area end sector 22E64Fh
Number of Layers 1

thank you for your replies
I still think that I must get a better DVD writer

Originally posted by rikymarty

Media code/Manufacturer ID LGE04
Media code/Manufacturer ID OPTODISCK001
Media code/Manufacturer ID RICOHJPNR00
Media code/Manufacturer ID OPTODISCOP1

1. Don’t know this media
  2. Not 2x certified (2x isn’t an official DVD-R spec!). Optodisc is known for low quality mass stuff.
  3. First series of Ricoh’s DVD+R. Doesn’t look good in other tests (c’t)
  4. Low quality mass stuff

You may of course go out and buy another writer and stick around with cheap media. But until the production process isn’t optimized to allow everyone to produce mass stuff within specs you’ll won’t be happy for a long time.

Try Memorex DVD-R. I’ve had no problems with this on the 411S.
Amazon has them for $29.99(shipped) for a spindle of 25. They have the same price for 25 DVD+R spindles also. I’ve had perfect burns on all the 4X Memorex DVD media(DVD+r, DVD-R, DVD+RW) I’ve used on the 411S.

Also glad to know I’m not the only one who could only burn Optodisk DVD-R at 2X. I tried 6 discs and had 2 coasters. Not 100% like Memorex. I need to upgrade my firmware tonight and see if that makes any difference.

Even when I use quality DVD-R media (MCC 01RG20) 4x with the Liteon 411S (and also with a converted 401S) the resultant DVD is much inferior, can barely be read by my other DVD-ROM drives (LTD 165G and XJ 166S), can’t be read at all by a Sony DDU 1621.

There’s certainly no real difference between the 411 original and the converted 401S.

I tried looking at these discs with KProbe, but it froze every time, at about 20-30% finished.

Both drives do a very nice job with DVD+R media, so the drives are NOT crap.

Liteon just needs time to rewrite the firmware.

> Both drives do a very nice job with DVD+R media, so the drives > are NOT crap.
> Liteon just needs time to rewrite the firmware.

Are you sure that this problem will be solved simply with a good written FIRMWARE?
I don’t think so, because this drive phisically is the SAME as the 401s, a DVD+ only drive.
I do think that this is an hardware problem, not firmware. This unit was designed to be only DVD+, not DUAL.
There really aren’t ANY hardware difference between DVD+R and DUAL drives?
LITEON sells the same hardware at different prices, only with different FIRWWARE, and the firmware of 411s is not working 100% yet (not evan at 50% for me I may say) I’ve had better results in writing DVD+r with the 401s drive.
So I really think that LITEON is making joke of all of us.
I need to burn DVD at work and I haven’t got much time (and money) to waste in testing. LITEON should have tested ALL the DVD media in the market BEFORE releasing the drive.
We’re not technicians, and can’t do all the work for them.

OC,

Having been involved with trying to get the 411 working properly for some time, all I can say is i’ve had about enough.

I’ve used FS07 to burn to TY media today and then used FS0B to run a 4x max K-Probe on the burned TY. It’s a pearler of a graph. (I’ll PM you a PNG of this if you like). PI max of 6, PO max of 3 etc… just plain very good. Here’s the crappy bit though…It can’t be read by a Lite-On 48161…at all…??? WTF. OK so i’ll try it in my 4 players…eventually it loads and plays…chap skips work fine…takes 30 secs or so to load in three players…looking, looking etc etc.

MEDIA CODE of TY (“That’s” DVD-R 4x)

Media Information                            

Media code/Manufacturer ID TYG01
Format Capacity Not Formatted
Free Blocks 411107328
Free Capacity 4.38GB(4.71GB)
Book Type DVD-R
Media Type DVD-R
Media Id Code Speed 4.0x 5540KBps
Available Write Descriptor CLV 4.0x 5540KBps
Available Write Descriptor CLV 2.0x 2770KBps
Write Strategy Speed 4.0x 5540KBps
2x Speed OPC beta 08
2x Speed OPC power 0F
2x Write Strategy field 1 11 87 78 80
2x Write Strategy field 2 88 80 00 00 00 00
4x Speed OPC beta 05
4x Speed OPC power 16
4x Write Strategy field 1 0D 0F 0B 0B
4x Write Strategy field 2 97 08 0F 0B
4x Write Strategy field 3 00 00 00 00
4x Speed OPC beta multi-pulse 05
4x Speed OPC power multi-pulse 1B
4x Write Strategy field 4 13 A8 89 65
4x Write Strategy field 5 B6 89 88 80 00 00
4x Write Strategy field 6 00 00 D0 00 00
Number of Layers 1

FS07 burned Princo 4x won’t play in 48161, will freeze and chop in 3 of 4 players so they are just plain crappy … as we all know.

I just wish Lite-On would call up the Pio engineers and work out WTF they are doing wrong !!! There seems a fundamental issue with their -R burning that is just plain wrong…

As mentioned previously by other posters I feel concerned for the Plebes who buy the 411 as a Dual burner and are limited in their experience with firmware and access to it, etc. It really is a cludged drive and smells badly of too early a release.

I’ll probably shelve this thing soon. I have had my old 5125 for 15 months now and never had an issue, that’s the fall back.

Damn, the 411 promised so much, but very poorly delivered.

Regards
Studebarc… :eek:

Just admit that Lite-on screwed up this time!
I use the “so called” good media (Verbatim MCC & Ritek G04) and still the drive is not able to burn a 100% working disc.
YES I have the new firmware and NO I wont hold on to this crap any longer!

I recommend the Lite-on LWD 411S to NO person unless they have lots of money to spend in a quest fore the 100% working media. Good luck fore those who think they can find it.

I’m throwing away (YES throwing away) my 411S because that’s where it belongs, down with the trash, and I’m buying myself a plextor or pioneer drive.

I suggest all to do the same an burn happy ever after.

The shop where I did buy the drive won’t just take it back and change it with another model (pioneer), like I would like to do.
They say that all LITEON LDW-411s drives have the same problems, so it’s not a FAULTY UNIT, and can’t be replaced.
So… WARNING!
Don’t buy this drive, you COULD end up like me with a BAD drive and without the chance to change it back with a more decent burner.
I’m VERY disappointed.
:frowning: :frowning:

Why am I not having these problems people keep talking about. Using Memorex 4X discs, They have played in every player I tried. last night it was tried in an X-box and play station. No problem. No problem in a Sony, Denon, Panasonic, and JVC player as well. What am I doing different. This drive is excellent so far. The only problems I had were the Opto discs. and they only burn at 2X I upgraded the firmware and I tried 5 Optodiscs 4X DVD-R this morning(I already wrote the discs off so I figure what the heck) and all 5 only burned at 2X but they all came out fine. I tried playing them in my combo Liteon drives, my Aopen drive, my Denon and Panasonic and they all played without any problems. Why is this drive working so well for me but not for others. This drive sems to be of the same quality as all the other optical drives I’ve bought from LiteOn. EXCELLENT!

lol same here aaronwt i have no problem what so ever. My burn princo dvd playing on all my dvd player. Don’t know what seem to be the problem for other people.

Originally posted by aaronwt
Why am I not having these problems people keep talking about. Using Memorex 4X discs, They have played in every player I tried. last night it was tried in an X-box and play station. No problem. No problem in a Sony, Denon, Panasonic, and JVC player as well. What am I doing different. This drive is excellent so far. The only problems I had were the Opto discs. and they only burn at 2X I upgraded the firmware and I tried 5 Optodiscs 4X DVD-R this morning(I already wrote the discs off so I figure what the heck) and all 5 only burned at 2X but they all came out fine. I tried playing them in my combo Liteon drives, my Aopen drive, my Denon and Panasonic and they all played without any problems. Why is this drive working so well for me but not for others. This drive sems to be of the same quality as all the other optical drives I’ve bought from LiteOn. EXCELLENT!

Memorex seems like the only brand of DVD-R media that works for sure with this drive, too bad that were I live I can’t find it to buy anywhere, else I would have tried them and let you know if they work well for me.
Can you tell me other brand of DVD-R that DO work for sure?
I’m tired of testing, want to be sure that no other DVD becomes a coaster, if I relly have to keep this drive!
But… did you verify the DVD you burned with NERO? or by copying all the contents of the DVD to your HARD DRIVE?
The bad DVD- that I burn are readable by other players, but they give out ‘redundance errors’ when trying to copy some files to the hard disk.
Ah, forgot to mention… I ONLY burn DVD DATA, not movies.

Originally posted by bah_bah_blah
lol same here aaronwt i have no problem what so ever. My burn princo dvd playing on all my dvd player. Don’t know what seem to be the problem for other people.

PLEASE try to burn a DVD-DATA with NERO 6, and verify it. And then tell me if it works. I doubt that PRINCO brand of DVD-R do work well for DVD-DATA with this drive.

I’ve only used the DVD+RW for data so far and that wrote and was verified using Nero 6 Burning Rom. I will burn a DVD-R and DVD+R with 4.7GB of Data when I get home tonight. I will also try it on the Optodiscs I have.

eheheheh, EMTEC DVD+R 2,4x certified, burned ad 4x (!?!?) and verified good!
This drive just NEVER cease to surprise me! This time at least it’s a GOOD surprise.
^_________^
OK, seems that I’ve got here a very good DVD+R only drive! :slight_smile:

So, all you CDfreaks out there, please tell me what do you think of this weird fact!

Media Information                            

Media code/Manufacturer ID OPTODISCOR4
Format Capacity 4.37GB(4.70GB)
Book Type DVD+R
Media Type DVD+R
Media Id Code Speed Unknown
Available Write Descriptor CLV 4.0x 5540KBps
Data area end sector 22FDDFh
Number of Layers 1

Media Id Code Speed = Unknown ??? YUCK! :slight_smile:

OPTODISCOR4 is Optodisc’s MID code for 4x DVD+R media so it’s fully normal that they burn in 4x speed.

Originally posted by jsl
OPTODISCOR4 is Optodisc’s MID code for 4x DVD+R media so it’s fully normal that they burn in 4x speed.

What a strange thing, it was in the middle of a batch of 2x EMTEC DVD+R disks. And is branded as 2,4x MAX even on his surface.
How is this possible?