LiteOn LDW-411S - Firmware

FIRMWARE LITEON LDW-S411

Originally posted by hans-13
FIRMWARE LITEON LDW-S411

… still not available there

You cant download from there yet.
But I havent seen the “Customers, please be aware, that LiteON IT will no longer provide services to the products that have been “Illegally Firmware Upgraded”, such as flashing to other models’ firmware” text before.

Illegal, yeah their customers are bad and it has nothing to do with them selling the same drive for higher price and profit…

Originally posted by Airhead
Illegal, yeah their customers are bad and it has nothing to do with them selling the same drive for higher price and profit…

I don’t think it has anything to do with that. It’s more likely that they behave this way in order to prevent suits from their (chipset-)suppliers. They only paid DVD+ ‘royalties’ for the -401s and have to pay to both DVD+ and DVD- camps for the -411s. If they don’t “protect” the individual identities of both drives, they might end up in having to pay additional (DVD-minus) fees for every -401s drive they made.

Hi Airhead. Do you think it has something to do with the newer 411S firmware being flashable to the 401S (in some cases), or have they FINALLY figured out that we knew the whole 40125S/32125W -> 48125S/W and 48126S->52246S deal?

EDIT: MTR:yep, that would be the case for the 401/411S. What about the CDRW drives?

nothing to do with them selling the same drive for higher price and profit…

What about the costs of R & D on the newer drives? Even though they may be the same hardware, I have no problem with paying slightly higher prices for the added development. Come on now, they’re dirt cheap to begin with. :wink:
The 411 has been in devolpment for ever, in order to make it work right. The LiteOn profit margin per drive can’t be more than a few dollars. I doubt they will continue selling the 401 anyway, and the 411 price will drop like they always do. I’m betting that LiteOn lost millions because they refused to release a crippled 411 drive. (I can assure you it has had problems). I salute LiteOn for doing it right. :bow:

i pay some “Euro” (15-20) with pleasure for the feature burning dvd-r too.
i save this money while buying the low-priced dvd-r…:smiley:

I did not mean that LiteON act wrong, in fact I was suprised they hadn’t putten up one of those disclaimers sooner.
What annoyed me is their usage of the word “illegal”…

I suppose that technically, flashing from a DVD+ to a DVD-/+ would be illegal. At least the DVD consortium would think so. :cop:

I’m quite sure they refer to the CR-RW’s because we have yet not seen a flashed 401… :wink:

No, they’re definately putting it up due to the licensing issue as previously mentioned.

Then logically that would mean that it will be possible to flash the 401S, because if it wouldn’t then such a warning would be self-contradictionary… That’s my thinking anyways :slight_smile:

Airhead, I think you missed the info in another thread. The drives are the same, but Lite-ON has taken steps to prevent the upgrade. We don’t know yet whether or not we can get around this.