LiteOn LDW-400D issues - please help

vbimport

I’m having two major problems with my LiteOn LDW-400D:

1. Read speed is limited to ~2x. This is what’s reported by Nero DVD Speed and what seems to happen in practice. Someone suggested this was a function of using NTFS rather than FAT32 – but isn’t it the case that if I had a 16x DVD reader I’d get much faster reads?

2. Nero 5.5.10.28 reports that the maximum write speed of my writer is 2x. This isn’t a huge concern at the moment insofar as I only have 2x media, but 4x Riteks are on the way and I’d like to be able to use them. My firmware revision is 1.2b.

On the plus side, the burner is willing to burn 1x Optodisc DVD-Rs at 2x.

Any help is appreciated.

1. Read speed is limited to DVD hardware (read firmware) and has nothing to do w/ file format or OS. You’ll get the desired speed (read 8-12x) w/ a 16x DVD-ROM.

2. DVD write speed is based solely on what the media can do, not what your writer can do. If you have a 4x DVD+R writer and put in a 2.4x DVD+R media, you’ll get 2.4x write speed.

Don’t know what the situation is w/ your optodisc.

Did you enable DMA on the IDE channel?

Usually the number on culprit for this slowdown.

1. Read speed is limited to DVD hardware (read firmware) and has nothing to do w/ file format or OS. You’ll get the desired speed (read 8-12x) w/ a 16x DVD-ROM.

The specs suggest that the LDW-400D will read at 8x. Incidentally, DMA is on.

1. DVD write speed is based solely on what the media can do, not what your writer can do. If you have a 4x DVD+R writer and put in a 2.4x DVD+R media, you’ll get 2.4x write speed.

My concern is that even with no media in the drive, Nero reports that maximum burn speed for the drive is 2x.

Howcome everyone seems to live by these Ritek discs? I have the LDW-400D drive and Ive buned a 50 pk spindle of 2x DVD-R optodisc DVDs and a 25pk of 4x DVD-R optodisc DVDs without one single coaster. Each spindle was in the range of $48 to $49 from NewEgg.com. I like the he!! out of this drive and have yet to have an issue with it.

p.s. I have to admit I use a Sony DVD-ROM drive for ripping cuz the writer is super slow at it. Nero wont let you pick 4x as far as I know unless you have 4x media in the drive.