LiteOn JLMS XJ-HD166S (LTD-166S)

vbimport

Hi every one
I got a problem with the LiteOn JLMS XJ-HD166S (LTD-166S). It will not run my backups of The Sims Unleashed and Sim City 4.
These games works perfectly in my LiteOn LTD-165H and LiteOn DVD-16X3H.
They work perfectly with “Hide CD Media” enabled.
I made the backup of Unleashed with the “SafeDisk (no AWS)” profile, and Sim City with the “TwinPeak” method.
What could be the problem, please help. :confused:

From what you have said the most likely thing that springs to my mind is that the 166S can read the ATIP of the back-up disks.

Grab a copy of CDR Identifier and run it with a CD-R in the drive. Select the 166S from the list of drives shown in the top window and click on the button showing a finger pointing to a CD. If it shows information about the CD-Rs disk manufacturer etc then it has read the ATIP and you will always need to have the ‘Hide CD-R media’ applet running in the background to play backups. If not, then, well I don’t know.

Sadly the ‘Hide …’ function is blacklisted in SD2.9.x, as is the Clone Virtual Drive. So you may be forced into using Daemon Tools to play SD 2.9.x backups

sims unleashed and sim city 4 are both SafeDisc 2.8…so there is no need to use Twinpeaks…that is for SecuRom …

anyway i would try what Orinoco stated maybe that drive can read the ATIP…

another route is to make backups with Blindwrite or some other burning program

Originally posted by wakemonkeypimp
sims unleashed and sim city 4 are both SafeDisc 2.8…

Ahh, now were it not for the fact that the backups worked with the old drive I would have said that suggested the burn requires emulation to be sucessfully authenticated. This would mean that you were suffering from the same issue as many others with CloneCD not being able to burn SD2.8 correctly in some cases [unless the 165 and 166 read the pre-groove differently and that is causing the authentication failure].

Another test would be to re-image the play disk, ticking the ‘create cue sheet’ option in the window that allows you to name the image file. Then burn that back to a CD-RW with FireBurner or BurnAtOnce and try again.

Originally posted by Orinoco
[B]

Ahh, now were it not for the fact that the backups worked with…[/B]

Oh My mistake. It is right that Sim City 4 is “SafeDisk 2.8”. I made the backup, with the “SafeDisk 2 (no AWS)” profile, and it didn’t work, so i tried with the “SafeDisk 2.51 (AWS)” profile, with the same result. All other games work perfectly. it look like it’s only SafeDisk 2.8, that will not work in that DVD drive. :frowning:
I will try your ATIP test later. :smiley:
What is it with SafeDisk 2.8. Why does enyone have problems with it. I hope there will be an update for CloneCD soon, wich can handle SafeDisk 2.8 and 2.9 and SecuRom (new). :rolleyes:
Thanks for your time. :slight_smile:

So now the truth is out :smiley:

I would suggest that the re-image and burn with FireBurner option is your best bet.

I can’t get CloneCD to burn SD2.8+ correctly either that’s why I use FireBurner to burn my CloneCD images.

[B]So now the truth is out :smiley:

I would suggest that the re-image and burn with FireBurner option is your best bet.

I can’t get CloneCD to burn SD2.8+ correctly either that’s why I use FireBurner to burn my CloneCD images. [/B]

Do I need to use some special setting with FireBurner and BurnAtOnce???

Originally posted by Frede

Do I need to use some special setting with FireBurner and BurnAtOnce???

Nothing special at all.

Image using CloneCD and tick the create Cue sheet option.

Burn with FireBurner. Load the cue sheet, check the write speed settings and that you are doing a Disk at Once burn and burn

Easy as that.

You can also burn with Alcohol. I have had the very same problem with SD 2.8 + CloneCD + Liteon 166S. Alcohol works for me. You can also use Diskjuggler but it demands a good reader to do the image because it doesn’t emulate the pre-gap. Alcohol should be a safe bet.

[B]

Nothing special at all.

Image using CloneCD and tick the create Cue sheet option.

Burn with FireBurner. Load the cue sheet, check the write speed settings and that you are doing a Disk at Once burn and burn

Easy as that. [/B]

Can’t Nero Burn do the trick???

I have this drive, I run a backup of AOM Safeisv 2.70.30 just fine with no hide cdr media. I think your backup isn’t good enough. Try the CCD --> Fireburner method already described.

[B]

Can’t Nero Burn do the trick??? [/B]

Not with a CCD image. If you search around the forum you can find software to create an image that Nero can burn, but authentication times can be longer.

[B]

Can’t Nero Burn do the trick??? [/B]

Euuuuh, NO.

Go for FireBurner, works as a charme.

I have had success with DDump+Nero on Safedisc but I do not know about current versions of Safedisc, as I have no games with it. But I read around newer safedisc will not work with DDump+Nero. So it might not work for the Safedisc2.8 you are trying to defeat. I do not know if DDump+BAO would work either.

I’ve also been having problems with SafeDisk 2.8 disks (specifically SimCity4 and Civ3), only my problem is that I can’t even get an image from them. I’ve tried Clone-CD, Alcohol, and BlindRead. But all that happens with any of them is that I get about a million read errors.

My burner is a MSI 52x24x52 CD-RW drive, and I’ve also tried to get the image using my MSI 16x DVD drive.

The disks look and work like new, so I don’t think it’s a physical problem with the disks.

What should I try next?
TIA

Originally posted by Jester420
I’ve also been having problems with SafeDisk 2.8 disks (specifically SimCity4 and Civ3), only my problem is that I can’t even get an image from them. I’ve tried Clone-CD, Alcohol, and BlindRead. But all that happens with any of them is that I get about a million read errors.

It is normal with the read errors. :smiley:

It is normal with the read errors. :smiley:

… when the sector numbers beginning around 800 and ending around 10,000 [+/- a few hundred]

I’ve backed up Civ3 with BlindRead (Alcohol , CloneCD and else doesn’t work there !) , but it is because the only CD-writer able to do that is Plextor Premium (don’t know about DVD-writers) and I’m about to test SimCity4-backup in a little while . “I’ll be back”

PS : I’m not a Plex-Fanatic , but sometimes they make uncomparable writers !