Liteon iHOS104 firmware problem

vbimport

Hello!

I have problems with my iHOS104 since I upgraded its firmware from the original revision WL0B to the latest revision WL0F. I am experiencing periodical dropouts while watching a Bluray-movie every 5 minutes.
I tried many Blurays which played just fine before I did the firmware upgrade using the Liteon Smartpack utility.
The support doesn’t want to give me a possibility to downgrade back to WL0B, so I would like to ask, if anybody here in this forum would be so kind to upload an unscrambled WL0B firmware file.

I looked everywhere for this firmware and found an original Liteon exe-file, but it doesn’t allow a downgrade. I already tried FlashFix to force it, but it doesn’t work, I can run the utility after that, but the flash-button is greyed out.

Please please, if anybody here has an iHOS104, could you upload an unscrambled WL0B firmware, or would you be so kind to read it out if you have this drive with this firmware revision installed? :bow: :bow:
(I think an older revision than WL0B would be ok, too. Then I could use the Liteon file to update to WL0B)

Thank you in advance!

[QUOTE=mh0001;2571735]Hello!

I have problems with my iHOS104 since I upgraded its firmware from the original revision WL0B to the latest revision WL0F. I am experiencing periodical dropouts while watching a Bluray-movie every 5 minutes.
I tried many Blurays which played just fine before I did the firmware upgrade using the Liteon Smartpack utility.
The support doesn’t want to give me a possibility to downgrade back to WL0B, so I would like to ask, if anybody here in this forum would be so kind to upload an unscrambled WL0B firmware file.

I looked everywhere for this firmware and found an original Liteon exe-file, but it doesn’t allow a downgrade. I already tried FlashFix to force it, but it doesn’t work, I can run the utility after that, but the flash-button is greyed out.

Please please, if anybody here has an iHOS104, could you upload an unscrambled WL0B firmware, or would you be so kind to read it out if you have this drive with this firmware revision installed? :bow: :bow:
(I think an older revision than WL0B would be ok, too. Then I could use the Liteon file to update to WL0B)

Thank you in advance![/QUOTE]

Any clues? I have the exact same problem and I’ve spent all day trying to find something! I have the EXEs for WL0B and WL0D but can’t get anything to downgrade! (tried flashfix, flash utility, litefirm, ltnfw, and mediacodespeededit)

I’ve sent you a message :slight_smile:

For anyone who stumbles upon this thread looking for an answer, it appears that the only way to solve this issue is to get someone else to send you a copy of an older firmware in a bin format (that they have backed up from their drive). Then you can use a flash program to get it onto your drive.

[QUOTE=drumbum000;2578946]For anyone who stumbles upon this thread looking for an answer, it appears that the only way to solve this issue is to get someone else to send you a copy of an older firmware in a bin format (that they have backed up from their drive). Then you can use a flash program to get it onto your drive.[/QUOTE]

Getting hold of an older *.bin firmware dump file is easy enough, but once you have it, how can you flash it to your drive, given that the Flash Utility doesn’t support flashing this drive?

Try using LtnFW

Go to this link and scroll down about half way (or Ctrl+F: ltnfw)
http://club.myce.com/f44/comprehensive-liteon-tools-collection-v5-0-7-revised-8-january-2007-a-83441/

Direct Link:

[QUOTE=drumbum000;2579049]Try using LtnFW

Go to this link and scroll down about half way (or Ctrl+F: ltnfw)
http://club.myce.com/f44/comprehensive-liteon-tools-collection-v5-0-7-revised-8-january-2007-a-83441/

Direct Link:

I don’t think that’s a good idea at all!

LtnFW is a very old piece of software, written for older generation drives, way before the Flash Utility, and I strongly doubt it is compatible with any new drive, never mind awkward ones such as this BD-ROM drive…
If the much newer Flash Utility doesn’t support this drive, the chance of an older software such as LtnFW supporting it is very much against the odds.

If for example you use it to perform a backup of the firmware, it creates a 1MB file instead of the 2MB file created by the Flash Utility, which would suggest it doesn’t support new drives with 2MB chips.

If it can’t backup firmwares properly, what makes you think it can flash them back properly? Using it would most likely result in a bricked drive.

You shouldn’t advise people to use something unless you know from your own experience that it works, which I doubt is the case in this instance!

I also have the same problem and i don’t have the orginal bin file can someone help me with this

I have the exact same problem also. can anyone help please. This problem is really annoying and it seems like Lite-On doesn’t give a sh*t about the issue or us.

I have this drive with firmware WL0B. Is there any way to speed up the rip speed of this drive ? It’s slow at ripping and quality scan. Thanks.

I upgraded to WLOF and I am having drop out issues as well. Can someone please PM me or point me to where I can get the old .bin firmware ? Many thanks.

[QUOTE=drumbum000;2578946]For anyone who stumbles upon this thread looking for an answer, it appears that the only way to solve this issue is to get someone else to send you a copy of an older firmware in a bin format (that they have backed up from their drive). Then you can use a flash program to get it onto your drive.[/QUOTE]

Were you able to solve the issue?

So it appears that Lite-On is currently investigating the drop out issue with WL0F, in the meantime, here is WL0D. Please use this firmware at your own risk. It is unlocked and will flash any drive that you tell it to. So be careful. PM me and I’ll send it to you.

BA

:cop:

Hmm, guys, I was able to to do a transfer rate test using OptiDrive Control under both WL0D and WL0F. The tests look identical, with no dropouts on either. I would recommend leaving the firmware at the latest WL0F and perhaps investigating other possible causes.

Here is WL0D

http://www.flickr.com/photos/39436133@N08/5694758440/

and here is WL0F

http://www.flickr.com/photos/39436133@N08/5694758618/

BA

bitaddict,

Still awaiting the firmware.

@bitaddict

I’m not sure if a synthetic benchmark can explain the issue. It affects blu-ray playback with a software player only.
A good description of the phenomenon can be found here. (I’m not a native English speaker so I link to that posting that describes the problem better than I could.)
To be more precise the “whirring” of the drive occurs about 1-2 sec before the stutter.
I’ve informed Lite-On support but all answer I got was some general information: do a firmware update:doh:or clean your blu-ray discs:confused:.

Another one:sad:

@bitaddict
I can image that you have got a lot of requests for the WL0D version in the meantime.
Please send it and let us give this version a chance.:bow:
It worked for many people while WL0F didn’t.

Sorry guys, I’ve been busy with my satellite installs.

The firmware is available here: http://www.mediafire.com/?bzd069ozrceiijs

BA

Thanks!:slight_smile:
Too late for me (had returned the drive to my dealer already) but I linked to your post in a German forum and got positive feedback: problem solved:clap:

@bitaddict,

Thank you for posting the link.