LiteOn iHES112-29 or iHES112-115 for BD-R quality scanning

vbimport

Hi,

I’m going to buy a LiteOn iHES112 for BD-R quality scanning. I can choose between 112-29 and 112-115. Which one should I buy?

I know that 112-115 is 2nd gen, so it requires that little trick posted here to start ODC’s disc quality scan.

What about the 112-29? Will it be a 1st gen regardless when it was manufactured (I don’t know the manufacturing date, just the model number)?

If it is a 1st gen, then ODC should work without the trick. It should come with FW CLOx, right? Two options then:

1. Flash to FW PL0x. Is it worthwile?
  2. Crossflash to Plextor (which model?). Same question again: Is it worthwhile?

And finally: Will any of these two options break the behaviour under ODC, i. e. that disc scanning will function straight away?

Many thanks in advance for any help.

mumdigau

It should be iHBS112 or iHBS312, not iHESxyy.

To the rest of your question:

If it works for scanning as-is, no need to change FW or crossflash, unless you can obtain PlexUtilities to use with the Plextor firmware, but that won’t really bring you anything special. If it is a second gen, you’ll have to do the trick in ODC regardless.

And I am not sure if you are guaranteed to get a first-gen model in the -29 package, or if you are guaranteed to get a 2nd-gen in the -112 package. Not at this point in time, anyway; most should be 2nd gen by now.

@Albert

[QUOTE=Albert;2719157]It should be iHBS112 or iHBS312, not iHESxyy [/QUOTE]
You are right. I’m looking for a iHBS112. Thanks for detecting the typo.

[QUOTE=Albert;2719157]
And I am not sure if you are guaranteed to get a first-gen model in the -29 [/QUOTE]
Does your answer imply that there are -29 2nd gen on the market? That’s the question I’d like to get answered: Does -29 imply 1st gen, or can -29 be 1st or 2nd gen? If -29 can be both, then most probably it will be 2nd gen which started July 2011.

Still open which to choose.

BTW, iHES112 does exist as well. It’s a combo drive (CD/DVD writer, Blu-ray reader), and a bit cheaper than iHBS112. Would be sufficient in my case, as I will use the LiteOn for scanning only. Blu-ray burns I do with my Pioneer BDR-S08XLT.

[QUOTE=mumdigau;2719166]Does your answer imply that there are -29 2nd gen on the market? That’s the question I’d like to get answered: Does -29 imply 1st gen, or can -29 be 1st or 2nd gen? If -29 can be both, then most probably it will be 2nd gen which started July 2011.
[/quote]Hmm, I might be a bit misguided. Since this post: http://club.myce.com/f61/best-drive-do-blu-ray-quality-scans-319969/index7.html#post2656962

…I don’t think anyone has ever reported getting a -29 package shipped with a 2nd-gen drive, so that should very well be a safe method for getting only a 1st-gen. :iagree:

Even then, getting the 2nd gen isn’t supposed to be much different.

And here are some answers to other questions I answered poorly/not at all: http://club.myce.com/f44/lite-ihbs112-29-firmware-333099/#post2701979

BTW, iHES112 does exist as well. It’s a combo drive (CD/DVD writer, Blu-ray reader), and a bit cheaper than iHBS112. Would be sufficient in my case, as I will use the LiteOn for scanning only. Blu-ray burns I do with my Pioneer BDR-S08XLT.

The standard here has been to use the iHBS, as the iHES range tended to report very different values from other BDR scanning drives (old or new Samsung BD burners, old or new LiteOn BD burners). People found that the iHES may exaggerate values and mislead them into believing a disc was less likely to play when it was actually fine, while the iHBS112/212/312 and its clones (and the Samsung BDR drives) reported more true-to-life scans (good scan = good playback, bad scan = poor playback).

Thanks for your reply, Albert.

I made up my decision: I’ll order iHBS112-115, since -29 is only available for iHES112, and stay with it (no crossflash, just firmware update if necessary).

Final question: Where do I get a supported media list for PL06? There is no successor of OmniPatcher, is there?

mumdigau

iHBS112-29 may still be available on ebay.

@mariner8611

Unfortunately not in Germany, and shipping costs from US are to expensive.

mumdigau