Liteon iHBS112, iHBS212, iHBS312

vbimport

Can the Pioneer read Bluray discs burned on the LiteOn?

Yes, it can.

[QUOTE=judo;2748419]I have a Liton Ihbs112-04 bluray writer that can write but can not read. The story is: I am new in bluray writing and after I red some in the theme this forum and a hungarian forum I bought a Pioneer BDR 209EBK and after that for quality check with ODC this used Liteon burner. It came with the PL01 firmware and from start it could check some 50 GB Tayo Yuden discs (by the known speed selection trick) but could not read some JVC Victor 50GBs, both are HTLs. I thought it was a firmware problem so I upgraded to PL06 with Smartpack. Afther this the ihbs112 could not read the Tayo-s either. I saw some posts here there were problems with the Ihbs 112-04s and PL06 and found on the forum a saved PL01 and (from fellow cvs) that how can I downgrade to Pl01 with the unlocked al18 flasher, so I did. Now I can write both type bluray discs but can not read them. For example Imgburn write the discs but can not verify them. The ihbs112 do not get ready with them, Imgburn tells “incompatible medium” or “no reference point found”. Very rearly the burner accept some written disc. I thought the cause is a hardware problem or the fw upgrade-downgrade. I cleaned the lens no changing. It is the same with the Pl05 firmware.
I do not know it is normal or not the progression bar during firmware upgrade is climbing slowly to about half of its way then jumps to the end after that the process seems normal.
Could somebody help any suggestion what I should try?[/QUOTE]

We need more details in order to understand what the problem is.

What is the MID of the problem discs? Where did you sourced them from? If from eBay, did they came in a sealed package or were they ‘repackaged’?

What data format and burn settings are you using to burn them, and what burn speed have you used for the problem media?

Can you do a TRT scan of the problem discs (the ones that the LiteOn drive can’t read) using your Pioneer drive?

Are there any indications of poor burn quality, such as significant slowdowns during the burn process (or the burn process taking longer than it should) or any sort of visible ‘rings’ on the burn side?

Is your LiteOn reading other type of writable/rewritable BluRay media OK?

Have you tried burning one of these problem discs with your iHBS112 drive? I would highly suggest using the latest firmware for this purpose.

On my side, I never had any particular problem with PL06 compared with earlier versions, nor am I aware of any significant complains from others regarding PL06. As far as I’m concerned PL06 is OK.

What is your current BDR-209 firmware (or what was the firmware used to burn the problem discs if not the same)?

Upgraded to pl06 - pl06.exe from firmwarehq. I have two 50GB disk types I will call them Tayo and Jvc, the MID is the same.They are from ebay Japan, repackaged. Previously the burner with the original pl01 firmware accepted the first and not the second.I have written about 15 disks now all are BD video burned by Imgburn in the Pioneer at 4x.All play well in my standalone Oppo player I could not watch them thoroughly but i have not seen a problem until now.
Now I burned two disks with the Liteon the first is Tayo the second is Jvc:

The Ihbs112 could not verify them and can not read them. The situation is the same with all disks as I told rarely for about 2 case from 100 the burner knows the disk and play it well until the next eject.
TRT scans from two other Pio written disks Tayo, jvc respectively:

There was no anomaly during writing as far as I saw the Liteon was a bit louder now in the first third of the disks.
I have some 25GB Verbatim(CMC) disks in original package, it seems they behave similarly but I need to check them yet. The Pioneer firmware version is 1.20.

[QUOTE=Ibex;2746029]I keep having problems with my external drive (crossflashed HP BD335e, 2nd generation drive, although it doesn’t seem to be due to any particular firmware).

Even when connected via USB3 it just can’t maintain a full buffer (4x or 6x speed selected) and ends up writing at a very slow speed (<2x) with much stopping & starting. The enclosure appears to be bog-standard Lite-On.

Any ideas?
[/QUOTE]
I am convinced Nero 8 was the problem. Switching to CDBurnerXP seems to have solved it. It doesn’t show the actual speed & buffer, but the HDD data rate reported by Task Manager was consistent (@27MB/S) and the write time as expected.

It also appears to have solved the problem of the disc capacity being detected incorrectly when scanning.

Lite-On eHBU312 (fw VL16), written at 6x (USB3).
Sold as “Verbatim Datalife 6x Inkjet Printable BD-R” (10pk spindle, purchased 08/2014)
MID: CMCMAGBA5
Made in Taiwan

The worst result by far from this pack of discs, which had previously been consistently good (written at 4x). But not a coaster by any means (TRT fine). Too early to conclude if it is the higher writing speed or just a poor disc (I suspect the latter).

[QUOTE=judo;2748711]Upgraded to pl06 - pl06.exe from firmwarehq. I have two 50GB disk types I will call them Tayo and Jvc, the MID is the same.They are from ebay Japan, repackaged. Previously the burner with the original pl01 firmware accepted the first and not the second.I have written about 15 disks now all are BD video burned by Imgburn in the Pioneer at 4x.All play well in my standalone Oppo player I could not watch them thoroughly but i have not seen a problem until now.
Now I burned two disks with the Liteon the first is Tayo the second is Jvc:

The Ihbs112 could not verify them and can not read them. The situation is the same with all disks as I told rarely for about 2 case from 100 the burner knows the disk and play it well until the next eject.
TRT scans from two other Pio written disks Tayo, jvc respectively:

There was no anomaly during writing as far as I saw the Liteon was a bit louder now in the first third of the disks.
I have some 25GB Verbatim(CMC) disks in original package, it seems they behave similarly but I need to check them yet. The Pioneer firmware version is 1.20.[/QUOTE]

The problem sounds really weird, and I cannot imagine why it is this way…? If the LiteOn can write BD-R, and can read/write CD & DVD, but cannot read BD…while the Pioneer works flawlessly… it makes me think the drive is just bad. I don’t know how; the drive should not be able to detect blank media if it cannot read.

Can it detect a commercial BD-ROM, like movies?

[QUOTE=Ibex;2748861]I am convinced Nero 8 was the problem. Switching to CDBurnerXP seems to have solved it. It doesn’t show the actual speed & buffer, but the HDD data rate reported by Task Manager was consistent (@27MB/S) and the write time as expected.

It also appears to have solved the problem of the disc capacity being detected incorrectly when scanning.

Lite-On eHBU312 (fw VL16), written at 6x (USB3).
Sold as “Verbatim Datalife 6x Inkjet Printable BD-R” (10pk spindle, purchased 08/2014)
MID: CMCMAGBA5
Made in Taiwan

The worst result by far from this pack of discs, which had previously been consistently good (written at 4x). But not a coaster by any means (TRT fine). Too early to conclude if it is the higher writing speed or just a poor disc (I suspect the latter).

[/QUOTE]

Weird. But I suppose bugs like that happen, so it’s not tooo surprising, like how ODC cannot handle burns above maybe 10x, even when just burning garbage test files.

And yeah, doesn’t look like a horrible burn. Just mediocre, which is sorta standard from what I’ve seen of CMC’s own discs.

I think Nero 8 was also has issues my Pioneer BDR-TD03 (that disc which only wrote at 1.5x).

But the BDR-S06XLB appears to be OK. Also my Sony BWU-500S. :confused: :confused:

[QUOTE=Albert;2748864]The problem sounds really weird, and I cannot imagine why it is this way…? If the LiteOn can write BD-R, and can read/write CD & DVD, but cannot read BD…while the Pioneer works flawlessly… it makes me think the drive is just bad. I don’t know how; the drive should not be able to detect blank media if it cannot read.

Can it detect a commercial BD-ROM, like movies?[/QUOTE]

I agree … very strange behaviour indeed!

@judo

I assume that the drive ‘reads’ (recognises) the problem discs OK while they are still blank, i.e. you can see their detailed MID information if you use DVD Identifier or a similar program without any problem, otherwise I can’t see how the drive would be able to burn them in the first place?

Have you tried reading and/or burning any single layer BD-R discs to see if they work OK?

The TRTs look OK and they play OK on your standalone player, so at least at the first glance this behaviour doesn’t appear to be caused by poor media quality, but since I don’t really trust ‘repackaged’ discs, I would still not rule this out completely.

Just in case, it might be a good idea to look at the hub serial numbers, physical appearance, etc and check if they are consistent with the type of serial number format expected for this type of disc and manufacturer (with a bit of luck you’ll be able to find some info to compare them against in the Blank Media section: http://club.myce.com/f33/). That should at least rule out any possible fakes. Yes, I mistrust ‘repackaged’ discs that much! :doh:

[QUOTE=Ibex;2748869]I think Nero 8 was also has issues my Pioneer BDR-TD03 (that disc which only wrote at 1.5x).

But the BDR-S06XLB appears to be OK. Also my Sony BWU-500S. :confused: :confused:[/QUOTE]
Nero 8 also appears to be responsible for some of my Plextor PX-716A USB enclosure problems. :rolleyes:

[QUOTE=Albert;2748864]The problem sounds really weird, and I cannot imagine why it is this way…? If the LiteOn can write BD-R, and can read/write CD & DVD, but cannot read BD…while the Pioneer works flawlessly… it makes me think the drive is just bad. I don’t know how; the drive should not be able to detect blank media if it cannot read.

Can it detect a commercial BD-ROM, like movies?[/QUOTE]

@Albert
Yes, I can play commercial blurays with Total Media Theater.

@cvs

Dvd Identifier recognises the two(empty) “problem” disks the info is exactly the same Matsushita, March 2007. They were choosed from ebay as old Panasonics. Maybe fakes but I do not understand how dvd identifier can help deciding this, then this short info must be fake too (?)
I burned some single layer (MID:CMCMAGBA5) disks with the Pio and with the Liteon. The first and the second made with Liteon the third with Pio:

Can be trusted in these checks or or not I do not know.
In that rare occasion when the ihbs accepted the “jvc” type this picture. It was written with the Pio and there is a “similar” jvc in the mentioned thread.

I have tried out the Liteon in an other machine with expresscard sata interface the results are similar so the problem is not machine dependent.
I should get some quality double layers I think not easy here on affordable price. Thanks for your and @Albert’s help.

I just picked up a “new” ihbs112-2 to replace one that died. If I recall correctly, PL06 is the latest firmware. What I can’t remember is if there’s a riplock mod that can be done to speed up ripping. I’ll be mainly a ripping drive.

There is no modded firmware for any recent Blu-ray drive. It would be nice if there was, but alas…

Sony BD-RE 25GB MID:RITEKBW1
Liteon iHBS312 fw.PL17
Nero 2015 x2

Fortis Printable BD-R 25GB MID:INFOMER30
Liteon iHBS312 fw.PL17
Nero 2015 x8

I was finally able to grab an Asus BW-12B1LT (iHBS212 clone). Mine is dated October 2010, and is a Gen. 1 drive. I’ve uploaded what I hope is a valid firmware dump here. If someone can confirm it’s valid, that would be great. Below are drive info screen shots.

[QUOTE=jadburner;2759615]I’ve uploaded what I hope is a valid firmware dump here. If someone can confirm it’s valid, that would be great.[/QUOTE]

Looks like a valid dump. Thanks for sharing! :flower:

Added to the firmware collection.

[B]jadburner[/B], thank you very much! :bow::bow::bow: