Liteon iHBS112, iHBS212, iHBS312

vbimport

I will take after some month a look at my burned media, not only at Ritek.

Ah, it was so easy at CDR-times. My 13 old Mitsui, Verbatim, TY and Ritek are still in very good conditions

[QUOTE=Wischmop;2713591]I will take after some month a look at my burned media, not only at Ritek.

Ah, it was so easy at CDR-times. My 13 old Mitsui, Verbatim, TY and Ritek are still in very good conditions[/QUOTE]

Yes, all of my old CD and DVD media (including stuff that was burned on supposedly subpar grade media) is in perfect working order as well. I wish BR was half as dependable as CD/DVD media from the days of yore…

Meanwhile I have taken the opportunity to choose one particular BR disk from my collection, scan it today and then find the accompanying scan from when it was first verified (and determined by me to be acceptable for my archive). Going through this process has caused me to be even more shocked and horrified. Earlier, I stated that my bad scans were for media burned a year or so again. Try 4 months ago! Check it out. I am absolutely disgusted by this. Increasingly so as I am certain I cannot be the only one in this boat. I may even take this up with Falcon and/or blankmedia.ca.

<edit> Added in a second re-scan that was [I][B]supposed [/B][/I]to be executed at 6x - at least that’s what I told ODC to do… (which is what was originally used back in August). ODC seems to have ignored me but frankly, I’m not surprised. To my knowledge, the scan kick-start issue was never fixed and I’ve never fully trusted ODC. Just another in an extensive set of annoyances I have with my unfortunate BR burning/verification adventures:

How are you storing the discs?

[QUOTE=Stereodude;2713614]How are you storing the discs?[/QUOTE]

I am storing them the same way I have with all my 10 years+, perfectly-functioning CD/DVD media - In premium storage sleeves. They are all unblemished. No finger prints, scratches or any other humanly-visible marks or otherwise. Never exposed to sunlight or variations in temperature, chemicals or the like. In fact, most of these disks have never even been taken back out of their sleeves since having been burned, including the one for which the scan results are shown above.

As I mentioned, one or two of the disks are not nearly as bad and can still function but so far, I have seen enough that I’ll be rescuing my data and disposing of all my Falcon media.

Here is another scan for a disk that was burned back on 22 June 2013. I can’t find the original scan just after the burn but it would have looked like the original one from 17 Aug 2013 as I would have accepted no less before committing anything to my archives. BTW, this media was branded whereas the sample one from above was not. Also, IIRC, the resller was different. This in itself would seem to suggest that no Falcon media is safe at this point:

[QUOTE=txenglan;2713615]I am storing them the same way I have with all my 10 years+, perfectly-functioning CD/DVD media - In premium storage sleeves.[/QUOTE]What sort of sleeves are you talking about? Do you have a link?

[QUOTE=Stereodude;2713629]What sort of sleeves are you talking about? Do you have a link?[/QUOTE]

I only use Case Logic sleeves/wallets now. I did have an issue with some wallets a few years ago that imprinted a pattern on the read side of some DVDs but that was ages ago. Also, in that case (pun intended) the problem was easily visible. Again, my DVDs use the same storage along-side the new BR media. The DVDs are all fine but the Falcon BR media has turned to crap in only a few months. Also, my alarm/caution is only about to get stronger as I have just started to scan a few Panasonic disks which so far are the same as the day they were burned (the dates of which were intermixed with this Falcon junk). Before and after scan to follow in an hour or so. In any case, to answer your question about the wallets, here is an example of the type of Case Logic storage I use:

Case Logic has a bazillion types of binders so that is unlikely to be one of the ones I have.

I once thought that I’d buy only Panasonic as clearly, they make the best quality media available. However, I am damned if I will pay that kind of money for BR media. I’m getting ready to make the full switch to magnetic media within the next month and to be honest, I am looking forward to not having to worry about my data anymore.

How are you storing the cases? Are they vertical or horizontally stacked on top of each other?

I have been using similar Case Logic cases and found that under pressure (weight) the pattern from the woven fabric in the sleeves will get imprinted into the soft coat of the bottom of the discs. Some BD-Rs were so bad that the drive would not even recognize a disc in the drive. I found that carefully heating the disc with a heat gun would cause the soft coat to “heal” and then discs worked fine with a good TRT. My recordable DVDs and CDs stored the same way do not have this issue.

That is actually quite interesting although I really don’t think it is applicable in my case. I store them horizontally but the only thing ever stacked on one case is another case and never for long periods of time and never with more than one of two other cases on top of it. When I had the imprinting issue, you could clearly see the “goo” on the read surface and that was because I was using cheaper cases and was being a cheap bastard, putting disks into the backs of other sleeves (my stupidity). It was the plastic that was causing the surface corruption. In the case of these disks, I have scrutinized them and they look absolutely perfect. Furthermore, some of the worst scans are from disks that are in cases with the least amount of other disks and that never had anything stacked on them. Then there is the forthcoming Panasonic scan which will show how a [I]decent [/I]quality disk degrades over a period of months - hardly at all…

Well, two cases stacked horizontally was enough to imprint the discs in the bottom case, especially ones at the bottom. Panasonic 2x BD-Rs were the most affected in the least time (like 5-6 weeks to unrecognizable in a drive). The imprinting is pretty subtle.

None of mine have any imprints and what’s more, like I said, the Panasonic media I have is all fine as opposed to dozens of Falcon disks from three separate spindles (and two different lines - Pro and Value - and two different resellers) that scan like the ones I showed earlier.

Here is a promised scan of 2x Panasonic media. Originally burned on 23 June and then rescanned within the last 30 minutes. Speaks volumes I think. Not a single one of the Falcon disks I have looks even remotely like these Panasonic disks even though they originally did when I burned them only months ago:

Stereodude, I have an idea. Can you plse post a scan of one of your disks that has an imprint on it (assuming you still have some)? Even better if you have the before and after. Once I get my data off one of these (as best I can), I’ll try using a heat gun on it like you mentioned and I’ll show the resultant scan. Worth a try, right? I’ll of course need to know exactly what you did with the heat gun to ensure commonality of approach.

Some scans are real awful.

In some month I take a look at my BD-media

[QUOTE=txenglan;2713637]Stereodude, I have an idea. Can you plse post a scan of one of your disks that has an imprint on it (assuming you still have some)? Even better if you have the before and after. Once I get my data off one of these (as best I can), I’ll try using a heat gun on it like you mentioned and I’ll show the resultant scan. Worth a try, right? I’ll of course need to know exactly what you did with the heat gun to ensure commonality of approach.[/QUOTE]I’ll see what I can do. I changed the orientation of my cases over a week ago and when I checked my discs yesterday I didn’t find any with the visible pattern in my quick inspection. I’ll look closer and at more discs over the weekend.

As far as heating the disc with the heat gun, I put it in a jewel case bottom side up and carefully heated the bottom of the disc moving the gun in a circular pattern until I saw the imprint disappear and then promptly stopped and let the disc cool.

FORTIS BD-R 25 CMC Made in Taiwan
MID: INFOMER30
Lite-on iHBS -212 fw.HL05
ImgBurn 2.5.8.0 x4

FORTIS BD-R 25 CMC Made in Tajwan
NERO 2014 x4

[QUOTE=Stereodude;2713704]I’ll see what I can do. I changed the orientation of my cases over a week ago and when I checked my discs yesterday I didn’t find any with the visible pattern in my quick inspection. I’ll look closer and at more discs over the weekend.

As far as heating the disc with the heat gun, I put it in a jewel case bottom side up and carefully heated the bottom of the disc moving the gun in a circular pattern until I saw the imprint disappear and then promptly stopped and let the disc cool.[/QUOTE]

Stereodude,

I owe you a beer. In fact, I owe you a case of beer. Over the last few days, I have looked even more closely at many of my affected disks and noticed that when I shine a very (and I mean VERY) bright light on them, some of them do have a very subtle pattern on them. Other have extremely faint, tiny dots on them. In the case of those that have the pattern/dots, I tried the “toothpaste” method but to no avail. I think I managed to get a tiny bit of data off one disk from the toothpaste treatment but hardly seemed worth the effort. As such, figuring there was nothing to lose, I went out and got a fancy heat gun and tried it on one of the disks. Now, in the first case, I tried it on a disk that shows absolutely no markings, patterns or dots whatsoever. I didn’t even bother to let the disk cool down and placed it into the BR drive. To my surprise, the data that was previously inaccessible became accessible. I am now on the third “healing” (disks that do have the markings) and sure enough, this method is “fixing” the problem. I haven’t had a chance to shine the light on them again nor to re-run the quality scans (as I am too excited to be getting my data back) but I will do so soon and report back. For now, all I can say is a huge thank you for providing this as a suggestion. All that said, I will still be making arrangements to get myself off BR media. I simply can’t trust it after this and I can’t believe how finicky it apparently is. Did you keep your media after using the gun on them and if so, can you post a scan of one? As much as this has been a bit of a nightmare for me, I am fascinated by this issue!

Anyway, thanks again!

FORTIS BD-R 25 CMC Made in Tajwan
NERO 2014 x4

JVC DVD-R TYG03 Made in Japan
Lite-on iHBS 212 fw.HL05
Nero 12 x8

TDK BD-RE DL 50GB 1-2x from Amazon.co.uk
MID: TDKBLD-Wfa-000
Hub code : 3F11CDBB.0154-HAAR FSWE
IHBS112-2 PL06
Burned at 2X.

I must say I am a bit disappointed, I had bad experience from TDK BD-R previously but had higher hopes for this. It started out ok, but second layer, ugh, is it the disc or does my burner need glasses? Verifies ok in Imgburn, reads fine, but I won’t trust this for important backups. I know from DVDs that DL is tricky, still thinking I should get some BD-R DL media, but not so sure now.

Ok, here’s an update. After the somewhat disappointing burn (post above) I decided to create a test disk in Optidrive Control. The disk was created, and the program stated it used speed 1x. I then scanned the drive, and got this result:

Much better.

I then tried to burn that same disk in Imgburn, with family videos. Imgburn warned me that I tried to burn too much data, I removed some, and set “Overspeed” (hoping to be able to underspeed the drive to 1x), and got this log:

So, it did burn at 1x, but only because it also had Hardware Defect Management Active set to Yes.

My conclusion is that Optidrive Control formats the disk with spare areas, and writing is slower and also better. Or is it “fake” better, as in the media still looks suspicious?

The scan from the Imgburn looks like this, quite ok:

I must also add that I have only tried these two discs so far, I have 5.