LiteOn iHBS112 and Ritek [RITEK-BR3-000] 12x BD-R media

vbimport

Hey guys!

If I posted onto wrong forum, feel free to move and correct me ;).

I have 4 LiteOn BD burner iHBS112 Gen 2 (PL06 firmware) and one ASUS BW-12B2ST (iHBS112 clone).

I bought a spindle of Glossy printable Ritek 12x BD-R (DVD Identifier above)

(Faulty image reattached to post. -Albert)

But my burner only accepts burn this media at 10x.
Maybe its a fake media? Maybe the firmware is very old?
I burned 5 discs and only lost 1 with “Logical unit timeout” error on Nero 2016. Others are perfect. Maybe i can burn it at 12x using a newer burner? I like these burners and i’m afraid to buy an LG burner… on past, using CD-RW and DVD-RW drives… a lot of problems occur…

Best regards!

Vinicius

Question: how did you originally upload your screenshot? I had to attach it to the post myself to make it visible. Did you try to add it as an attachment?

To your question:

Some old versions of 1st generation iHBS112 firmware listed RITEK BR3 as being supported at 12x (one of the few media able to do so).

…Actually, PL06 also has support for this media at 12x. (At least, the firmware says so).

You can try to enable OverSpeed with ImgBurn, LiteOn’s SMART-BURN Utility, or the LiteOn Settings Utility by C0deKing [found in the LiteOn subforum here]; maybe that will allow 12x, but I do not think it will be good burn quality.

Pioneer’s BDR-_09 series can overspeed this media to 12x. But the results are not always good: http://club.myce.com/f87/pioneer-bdr-s09j-xt-xlb-2209-209-209d-e-u-j-xj-334432/index29.html#post2765256

I think LG only support overspeeding to 10x.

Does software like OptiDriveControl or ImgBurn list 12x as an available speed?

AFAIK RITEK BR3 is 6x media, higher write speeds depend on the writer’s firmware, so it’s different for each BD-R drive whether it supports write speeds above 6x or not.
With RIcrap it’s recommended to use the rated speed (i.e. 6x) only anyway. As Albert pointed out, the results with RIcrap media are all over the place, but usually awful the faster they’re written.

^ yeah, to my knowledge, Ritek is the ONLY one to rate sell their 6x BD-R as 12x. I don’t understand that.

All these drives that write faster than 6x (maybe 8x) are technically writing faster than the designed speed. For some media, this is fine because the disc design is good AND the manufacturing process is good. I don’t think Ritek manufacturers its BD-R well enough to consistently get good results at 12x.

Guys, thanks for the help! I’m learning, so if I do something wrong, correct me, okay?

Well, in short: I bought a BD-R 6x spindle …
I did not know this “tactic” of Ritek …
We have some media officially supporting 8, 10 or higher speeds?
I recorded one of the disks at 8x and the other 2 at 10x (4 recorded media and lost one) … will post test results, it is an important backup I made: my complete collection of old cassette tapes digitized, when recorded radio programs. To get an idea, I made a redundant backup on DVD + R DL / DVD-R too … I used for backups on DVD media CMC Magnetics (DVD + R DL 8x: CMC MAG-D03-064 ( sold under the brand Elgin and printable). the DVD-R 16x media used was CMC MAG. AM3, under the Philips brand, printable version). I’ll post their results as well. Another copy I made these DVDs to give away to a good friend used the DVD + R DL Moser Baer (MBIPG101-R10-065) and had achieved excellent results with them. Used Verbatim BD-R LTH discs, but i don’t scanned these discs.

See you!
Vinicius

I use the SmartBurn tool, but i need to set the iHBS112 everytime i reboot my PC… i’ll set again and try burn at 12x. I post results later. Thanks!

If that’s really important data for you, do NOT use RIcrap media for it - it’s that simple. And don’t use LTH BD-Rs either.
For important backups use Panasonic discs, or - in case you have to much money - M-Disc BD-Rs.

I buy BD-R media from eBay / Japan. Here in Brazil, only crap media is sold…

I have a Verbatim 6x BD-R (made by CMC) spindle… are good discs?
Panasonic are too expensive to me at this moment and i don’t have a M-Disc BD burner, only DVD burners (iHAS122 W, iHAS122 E and iHAS122 F)…

I’ll post the scans soon… i need some time to do this…

Best regards
Vinicius

[QUOTE=vdsacchi;2774126]I buy BD-R media from eBay / Japan. Here in Brazil, only crap media is sold…

I have a Verbatim 6x BD-R (made by CMC) spindle… are good discs?
Panasonic are too expensive to me at this moment and i don’t have a M-Disc BD burner, only DVD burners (iHAS122 W, iHAS122 E and iHAS122 F)…

I’ll post the scans soon… i need some time to do this…

Best regards
Vinicius[/QUOTE]
I use the CMC-Verbatims myself. They’re pretty good, especially considering their price. You should write them with 6x max though, they don’t like higher speeds. :wink:

I realized that they don’t like high speeds… especially when I tried to record the first BD-R at 10x… Lost disc with “Logical Unit Timeout error”… now, i will only use 6x speed…

Thanks for all answers… i will burn some discs and test them… and i will post the tests of Riteks at 8x/10x burns…

Best regards!
Vinicius

Well … as a promise is debt … follow the prints of the tests of the disks. I confess that I did not like the results …

[QUOTE=vdsacchi;2774168]Well … as a promise is debt … follow the prints of the tests of the disks. I confess that I did not like the results …

• 1st. disk - Burned @ 10x with my iHBS112 2 (PL06):

• 2nd. disk - Burned @ 8x with my other iHBS112 2 (PL06):

• 3rd. disk - Burned @ 10x with my other iHBS112 2 (PL06):
    …[/QUOTE]
    Well, what you can see is, that the discs should be written with 6x max. The higher the speed, the higher the error rates -> good to see in the first pic, beyond ca. 9GB up it goes with the errors.
    Those 3 discs look ok though for Ritek media, if you stick with 6x max you should get acceptable results. I still recommend to use other discs for important data. Would be interesting to see how these discs age, i.e. re-scan them in 6 months, 12 months, etc.

[QUOTE=vdsacchi;2774168]Well … as a promise is debt … follow the prints of the tests of the disks. I confess that I did not like the results …[/QUOTE]

Could you rescan the discs at 4x speed? The results should be more accurate and probably much better.

Pepst, I again examine as soon as possible at 4x …

I’ll scan these discs in 3 months again … these disks contain all my tapes converted to wave files and mp3 files … I do not want to lose this content …

Do you have news from Denis? I sent him two rare IDE Sammys found here in Brazil so that he can add to the museum, but the way he’s working hard…

[QUOTE=vdsacchi;2774176]Do you have news from Denis? I sent him two rare IDE Sammys found here in Brazil so that he can add to the museum, but the way he’s working hard…[/QUOTE]

Not sure if that was a question to me but I have no idea who is Denis. :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=vdsacchi;2774176]

Do you have news from Denis? I sent him two rare IDE Sammys found here in Brazil so that he can add to the museum, but the way he’s working hard…[/QUOTE]

[B]@ vdsacchi[/B]

@Blackened2687 I wrote that reached these two extremely rare models TSST and praised the well to pack … because he was poured a packet of milk … and just because they had to pack arrived as it should be …
He’s working so hard that it certainly did not have time to write but certainly to speak .

Sorry about the confusion of nicknames …

Czary2mary1, then package the recorders could resist the VIP treatment as Brazil and Russia mails had with his package? As I understand it, they poured milk in the package?

Then I get a message to him so that he detail me this story. I did what I thought would make good sturdy package to protect recorders …

Pepst, Nero DiscSpeed is only allowing me to scan the BD-R at maximum speed … will install OptiDrive and try to do the tests.

My English is not the best, but I’m trying hard to improve it. I hope you are quite understand what I write.

Good weekend to everyone!
Vinicius