LiteOn iHBS112/212/312 Crossflashing & Firmware: Looking for a few tips?

vbimport

[QUOTE=Albert;2751790]I can’t say I’ve heard of any reason to need PlexUtilities in casual use.[/QUOTE]

Er, what would be a non-casual use? Or was that a throwaway comment, heh

[QUOTE=bilditup1;2751916]Er, what would be a non-casual use? Or was that a throwaway comment, heh[/QUOTE]
It was a throwaway comment. :stuck_out_tongue:

I am of the thought that, at the very least, having PIF/PIF scanning separate from jitter scanning is helpful, and I believe the ability to check the quality of the disc surface extends to all discs, both before and after burning, which I don’t know if ODC has a proper graphical representation for that. (CD-DVD Speed had the ScanDisc function that worked universally for any disc that had already been burned. It was implemented in ODC, but doesn’t promise compatibility with all discs. In fact, the manual states that it’s only meant for use with ODC’s test discs). Checking tracking error and focus error (TE/FE) is present in both PlexU and ODC.

One small benefit of PlexU is that it shows the state of the lasers, though you’re also supposed to be able to see similar info in one of the LiteOn-compatible tools.

PlexU might also be less buggy than ODC, since it doesn’t have to guarantee compatibility with multiple drives from multiple manufacturers. It’ll also be able to concretely tell you when a feature isn’t supported, whereas ODC is left susceptible to just displaying generic ATAPI errors if jitter scanning or TE/FE testing isn’t supported.

One thing I don’t think you get either way is TA Jiteer testing. This is something old Plextor drives supported, and LiteOn drives supported with CD-DVD Speed, so I don’t know why it didn’t make the jump to ODC and PlexU, but…

One other interesting thing you can apparently do with PlexU is tweak laser power? I’ve never heard of anyone using the function, but it’s apparently there: http://www.goplextor.com/asia/index.php/plexutilities && http://www.cdrlabs.com/Reviews/plextor-px-lb950ue-external-12x-blu-ray-disc-writer/All-Pages.html
…combined with HyperTuning (LiteOn’s name for disc learning) or Online HyperTuning (dynamically adjusts laser power during the burn without learning about the disc), it might provide a viable workaround for bad discs or an aging drive, but I wouldn’t count that as anything significant.

[QUOTE=Albert;2751932]

ALL THE INFO

[/QUOTE]

Thanks for all the info!

Hey all,
I managed over the wknd to find a Plextor PX-LB950UE. Has a very old fw on it, 1.01. Not sure if it’s of any use to anyone, but I tried to make a dump of it using Dosflash in DOS manual mode (because setting motherboard to IDE mode causes blue screens in Windows, among other reasons). This was a bit tricksy and I’m not sure if I did it properly at the end. Can someone take a look and see if it came out OK?

https://mega.co.nz/#!ycIGiRaD!OovFsxhAny4fXDu_ooIvfzn0-I1oFSYIjRqSQcBDeLM

If it is in fact good, the settings I used were

dosflash R SATA-PORT-NUMBER 1 MASTER-SLAVE 2 0 20 NFORCE-FIX

where SATA-PORT-NUMBER is the port number that your drive is plugged into, MASTER-SLAVE is A0 for master and B0 for slave, and NFORCE-FIX is some kind of fix for nforce chipsets that can be turned on and off (0/1) - I turned it on on a lark, and it worked, on a motherboard with an Intel ICH8 chipset. If this ‘dump’ is worthless, then never mind all that, heh.

The dump is fine :slight_smile: Thanks a lot! It seems to be quite a rare firmware.

[QUOTE=blackened2687;2752086]The dump is fine :slight_smile: Thanks a lot! It seems to be quite a rare firmware.[/QUOTE]

Hurray! And no problem! :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Albert;2746041][I][B]On the topic of binary [.BIN] firmware files:[/B][/I]

Small sample of firmware files, extracted from drives (full list to come later):

Internal Drives:LiteOn

[ul]
[li]iHBS112, 2nd generation: PL01 (“2011/05/13”)[/li][/ul]
Optiarc

[ul]
[li]BD-5300S, 1st generation: 1.06 (“2012/02/07”)[/li][li]BD-5300S, 2nd generation: 2.03 (“2012/02/07”)[/li][/ul]
Plextor

[ul]
[li]PX-B950SA, 2nd generation: 1.01 (“2011/11/15”) ||| 1.02 (“2012/03/08”) ||| 1.03 (“2012/05/10”) ||| 1.04 (“2012/10/30”)[/li][/ul]
Sony

[ul]
[li]BWU-500S, 1st generation: 1.66 (“2012/02/07”)[/li][li]BWU-500S, 2nd generation: 2.63 (“2012/02/07”)[/li][/ul]
External Drives:LiteOn

[ul]
[li]eHBU212, 2nd generation: ZL06 (“2012/11/05”)[/li][/ul]
Plextor

[ul]
[li]PX-B950UE, 2nd generation: 1.05 (“2012/10/30”)[/li][/ul]

[ul]
[li]PX-LB950UE, 1st(?) generation: 1.01 (“2010/11/29”)[/li][li]PX-LB950UE, 2nd generation 1.05 (“2012/10/30”)[/li][/ul]
SHA sums for the ZIP files (not the .bin files themselves!)
updated 14 April 2015

[unlocked flasher mirror:li][/QUOTE][/li]
Fantastic Thread… About time lol… Been waiting for action on these drives lol.

Ok I can confirm that Driver Signature Enforcement Overrider 1.3b and dosflash_with_signed_portio_x32x64 Together Worked perfect on My IHBS 312 - 2 Drive. (With The Bus Encryption Enabled)
It extracted the Firmware PL17 Perfectly…
Checked With HEdit v2.1 my Fav Editor and All Media Values And Write Codes are Visible. So it seems we can do lots with this Model… Date Of Model 2012…
Also, before I used the Above I extracted the PL17 with Flash Utility and can confirm the firmware was a scrambled mess, but I was playing around and found, if I dragged and drop the Scrambled PL17 over previous IHBS 312-2 Flashers/Firms, it allows you to downgrade your firmwares to previous ones? Not tested if it works yet…

PL17 Unscrambled Attached, I hope it uploads lol as its my first… post;-)
Edit: Cannot attach file? Tried in the menu, but it dont work. Can a Mod email me and I can forward onto you…

Regards
Paxster;-)
PS: flasher_Win64-- Buggy and did not work…

[QUOTE=Paxster;2752428]
PL17 Unscrambled Attached, I hope it uploads lol as its my first… post;-)
Edit: Cannot attach file? Tried in the menu, but it dont work. Can a Mod email me and I can forward onto you…
[/QUOTE]

If you don’t mind using Zippyshare (.com) or a similar file hosting site, you can link it here. Generally gives multiple people a chance to triple check that it’s valid. :wink:

Here’s a copy of PL17 extracted from the official flasher: http://www82.zippyshare.com/v/7R6NTt85/file.html

Thanks for replys…
Also can you help? I have been working and editing firmwares with HEdit and changing the Write Speeds On various Media in the file, but as soon as I flash the firm to the writer it bombs out… It worked ok with the 20a3p and the old Nec 4451a. I have used SPEEDEDIT But it changes the strats when you change the Speeds.
It seems the Firmware knows I have changed something…Can someone tell me if there is a bit of hex I need to change please?
(I Do not recommend anyone do it as you could bugger the drive)

You can change the speeds on most of the liteons with HEdit V2 attached a image of a IHAS 324 Bin file

number 2:

But, Cannot find a full list of Media in the IHBS312-2 PL17, there is only a few listed…?

dosflash_with_signed_portio: PL17 = http://www24.zippyshare.com/v/9OoV1H83/file.html

Regards
Paxster;-)

I have been doing some more research today…
[B](WARNING NOT 100% Tested)[/B]
As i found out last night and posted above, you can FLASH to previous versions of Firmware on the IHBS 312-2 drive.
You Need a Scrambled Version from FLASH UTIL V6.2.0. All the Firmwares come from FirmHQ

I have tried a Unscrambled Dosflash64 PL17 Bin Version, but they do not work lol.

[B]Dont Work:[/B]

[B]All you have to do Is take the Scrambled version you have taken from FLASH UTIL:[/B]

[B]Then Drag an Drop onto a Firmware Version you want to flash:[/B]

[B]

Just Follow The Instructions:[/B]

[B]Then this will Appear:[/B]

[B]I have done a DRAG and DROP onto all the other Files and they all seem to appear correctly.[/B]

Ok, The only thing I am worried about is, will it truly work…
As it is my only drive, maybe someone can verify that it will lol…
Im Now wondering if this can be done on all Other LITEON Drives??

Regards
Paxster;-)

[QUOTE=Paxster;2752455]Thanks for replys…
Also can you help? I have been working and editing firmwares with HEdit and changing the Write Speeds On various Media in the file, but as soon as I flash the firm to the writer it bombs out… It worked ok with the 20a3p and the old Nec 4451a. I have used SPEEDEDIT But it changes the strats when you change the Speeds.
It seems the Firmware knows I have changed something…Can someone tell me if there is a bit of hex I need to change please?[/quote]There’s a checksum (I do not know where it is stored) and some level of encryption (I do not know what type) that must be circumvented/repaired. Firmware modding is nonexistent on BD drives for this very reason, as the people behind the tools found it too difficult/time consuming to get over these hurdles.

Thus, we are left with only crossflashing…

As for the firmware downgrade tweak: the worst thing that could happen is you trigger the drive’s failsafe (which you might have encountered).

[QUOTE=Paxster;2752463]
As i found out last night and posted above, you can FLASH to previous versions of Firmware on the IHBS 312-2 drive. [/QUOTE]

Yes you can, that’s nothing new. All you need is a proper firmware dump of the earlier firmware version which you want to flash (aka an unscrambled firmware, aka a valid *.bin firmware). You then just drag and drop that *.bin file on an unlocked flasher (or copy the bin file and then paste it on top of the unlocked flasher) and that should do the trick. Flashing an earlier firmware version than the one currently on the drive will will work just the same as any other newer firmware version. The firmware version of the *.bin file to be flashed is irrelevant as far as this unlocked flasher method is concerned. You can flash any version, earlier or newer, it doesn’t matter (as long as you have a valid *.bin file)…

[QUOTE=Paxster;2752463]You Need a Scrambled Version from FLASH UTIL V6.2.0. All the Firmwares come from FirmHQ[/QUOTE]

That is not what we mean by ‘scrambled firmware’. A ‘scrambled firmware’ is basically an official *.exe firmware update file (which contains inside a packed/scrambled *.bin file) . An ‘unscrambled firmware’ is basically a *.bin file (such as a firmware dump).

The Flash Utility cannot correctly read/dump second generation firmwares, so what you called a ‘scrambled file’ is basically just a 2MB file filled with random data (the file contains complete garbage basically, not a scrambled version of the *.bin firmware).

In terms of a likely explanation of what you have witnessed, I suspect that what’s going on is that if you drag and drop an invalid firmware file like that on an (unlocked) firmware flasher (which contains a firmware version older than the firmware currently on the drive), then the flasher detects that the unscrambled *.bin firmware file that you try to flash is invalid and it offers instead to flash the drive with the older firmware version it has inside. By the look of things doing this seems to act as a workaround (i.e the flasher no longer checks/compares the firmware versions and therefore allows flashing an older firmware version on top of a newer firmware version, which normally an official flasher doesn’t allow).

Hopefully this makes sense …

[QUOTE=Paxster;2752463]I have tried a Unscrambled Dosflash64 PL17 Bin Version, but they do not work lol.
[/QUOTE]

If the PL17 dump is valid, it will work just fine, but it will work as intended, i.e. the flasher detects the valid PL17 firmware file and will therefore offer to flash (or reflash if the drive already has PL17 on board) that valid PL17.bin file to the drive… :bigsmile:

All the above aside, in the vast majority of situations there’s normally no good reason why someone would want to flash their drive with an older firmware version anyway …

If you need an earlier firmware version (*.bin) for some reason, just ask … but I’d recommend that you stick with the latest PL17. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with PL17 to justify reverting to an earlier firmware …

Hello to all my ihbs312_2 and broken ,has the problem as described here

and then i have nothing to lose and i updated the drive with the method described by Paxter, it worked but i have not solved the problem, and then with the same method i updated with firmware Plextor PX-B950SA, 2nd generation 1.04 ("2012 /10/30 ") and miracle the drive became Plextor but the problem is always the same, sees CD but not DVD and BD , seems to blame the laser. :a

I wrote to confirm that my ihbs312_2 became Plextor PX-B950SA and works for what i have experienced i , with plexutilities. Thanks to all for the good work. :clap:
greeting

[QUOTE=Albert;2752480]There’s a checksum (I do not know where it is stored) and some level of encryption (I do not know what type) that must be circumvented/repaired. Firmware modding is nonexistent on BD drives for this very reason, as the people behind the tools found it too difficult/time consuming to get over these hurdles.

Thus, we are left with only crossflashing…

As for the firmware downgrade tweak: the worst thing that could happen is you trigger the drive’s failsafe (which you might have encountered).[/QUOTE]

Lol thanks Albert;-)
Just found that out… I was trying to take out the Video Lock and everytime the Writter kept going into Fail safe mode… grrrr!!! lol…
I hope they will pursue it one day?

Regards
Paxster;-)

Well everything went perfect (Thxs Albert To Reply About The EEProm lol

Now the IHBS 312-2 is now a Plex V1.04.
I am loving the Plextools, but a little concerd about the Laser Util lol.
I don’t fancy increasing that!! As far as all the other Utils, they are
Fantastic. Liteon should have em lol…

Attached is The Plex EPRom V1.04 from EEPROM Utils.
Already Patched with B7 for People who are a Little afraid of Hex Editing.
Just Flash to you drive with EEPROM Utils AFTER the Conversion;-)

Thxs To All
Paxster;-)
PS: Will Go Back to Liteon, but not yet hehe…

[QUOTE=Paxster;2752879]
Attached is The Plex EPRom V1.04 from EEPROM Utils.
Already Patched with B7 for People who are a Little afraid of Hex Editing.
Just Flash to you drive with EEPROM Utils AFTER the Conversion;-)

[/QUOTE]

[B]WARNING:[/B] Please avoid flashing a drive with another drive’s EEPROM! :cop:

It might be a bit of a (necessary) pain, but people should really dump and then hexedit [B]their own EEPROM file[/B] not use someone else’s EEPROM!

Why? EEPROMs are unique to each drive (they contain factory calibration data which is unique to each drive), and therefore flashing a drive with another drive’s EEPROM should always be a matter of last resort (i.e. to fix a drive if its EEPROM was inadvertently corrupted/deleted when an EEPROM backup of that particular drive is not available)…

Since EEPROMs are unique, flashing a drive with another drive’s EEPROM might lead to the drive no longer operating optimally. How bad things end up being would basically depend on how much different the calibration data from the two drives is.

[QUOTE=andrea1998;2752540]Hello to all my ihbs312_2 and broken ,has the problem as described here

and then i have nothing to lose and i updated the drive with the method described by Paxter, it worked but i have not solved the problem, and then with the same method i updated with firmware Plextor PX-B950SA, 2nd generation 1.04 ("2012 /10/30 ") and miracle the drive became Plextor but the problem is always the same, sees CD but not DVD and BD , seems to blame the laser. :a

I wrote to confirm that my ihbs312_2 became Plextor PX-B950SA and works for what i have experienced i , with plexutilities. Thanks to all for the good work. :clap:
greeting[/QUOTE]

Dont Take any notice of it… I had a PERFECT score Yesterday and Today I got This lol…:wink:

I Love the testing part were you can test the Laser Diode also.

Regards
Paxster;-)

[QUOTE=cvs;2752886][B]WARNING:[/B] Please avoid flashing a drive with another drive’s EEPROM! :cop:

It might be a bit of a (necessary) pain, but people should really dump and then hexedit [B]their own EEPROM file[/B] not use someone else’s EEPROM!

Why? EEPROMs are unique to each drive (they contain factory calibration data which is unique to each drive), and therefore flashing a drive with another drive’s EEPROM should always be a matter of last resort (i.e. to fix a drive if its EEPROM was inadvertently corrupted/deleted when an EEPROM backup of that particular drive is not available)…

Since EEPROMs are unique, flashing a drive with another drive’s EEPROM might lead to the drive no longer operating optimally. How bad things end up being would basically depend on how much different the calibration data from the two drives is.[/QUOTE]
[B]
VERY SORRY[/B] “CVS” I forgot all about that… Please delete post if possible as not to cause any confusion.

Do you recon I could change the Details in the Latest Liteon Firmware/EEPROM to the Plextor, so that we could still use Plextools?

Regards
Paxster;-)

[QUOTE=Paxster;2752939]Do you recon I could change the Details in the Latest Liteon Firmware/EEPROM to the Plextor, so that we could still use Plextools?
[/QUOTE]

Nope… Changing the drive ID will result in a checksum failure…