LiteOn iHBS112/212/312 Crossflashing & Firmware: Looking for a few tips?

vbimport

[QUOTE=HM01;2747218]I have a 1st generation BD-5300S. I could crossflash to 2nd Generation BWU-500S.
However, I noticed that the drive is more picky with the SATA-Controller than the Liteon iHBSxxx. With FlashUtility the dumped Firmware was just garbage. On an other PC the dumb was just fine.[/QUOTE]

You were trying to dump the first generation firmware? If so, how odd (but understandable) that one PC couldn’t get a proper copy.

[QUOTE=HM01;2747218]I have a 1st generation BD-5300S. I could crossflash to 2nd Generation BWU-500S.
However, I noticed that the drive is more picky with the SATA-Controller than the Liteon iHBSxxx. With FlashUtility the dumped Firmware was just garbage. On an other PC the dumb was just fine.[/QUOTE]

I don’t think what you wish to do is possible (2nd generation Sony formware on 1st generation drive).

There are separate firmwares for 1st and 2nd generation drives (easily identifiable as 1.xx & 2.xx).

Unlike the Lite-On firmwares, it is not possible to use 2nd generation Sony firmware on a 1st generation drive. (At least it did not work with my 1st generation BWU-500S.)

[QUOTE=Albert;2747220]You were trying to dump the first generation firmware? If so, how odd (but understandable) that one PC couldn’t get a proper copy.[/QUOTE]

I suspect the 1st generation Sonys have problems with Flash Utility. I am not convinced that my 1st generation BWU-500S firmware dump is correct.

The later 1st generation Sony firmwares are newer than the final 1st generation Lite-On firmware, so I think they are behaving like 1st generation drives with 2nd generation firmware.

As requested by [I]HM01[/I], I have uploaded my BWU-500S 1.66 dump (here), but there is no recognisable structure to it so [B]I am pretty sure it is corrupt[/B]. So far I have had no luck persuading DOSflash to work, even on a Windows XP machine.

[QUOTE=Ibex;2747309]I don’t think what you wish to do is possible (2nd generation Sony formware on 1st generation drive).[/QUOTE]
I did it successfully.

I suspect the 1st generation Sonys have problems with Flash Utility.

Well, looks like. One PC could dumb the Firmware correctly but the other not. To my surprise LtnFlash 2.6.11 could not dumb on both machines. DOSFLASH worked.

As requested by HM01, I have uploaded my BWU-500S 1.66 dump (here), but there is no recognisable structure to it so I am pretty sure it is corrupt. So far I have had no luck persuading DOSflash to work, even on a Windows XP machine.

You are right, it’s garbage. But thanks for trying.

[QUOTE=HM01;2747317]Well, looks like. One PC could dumb the Firmware correctly but the other not. To my surprise LtnFlash 2.6.11 could not dumb on both machines. DOSFLASH worked.[/QUOTE]
Could this be related to drivers and IDE/AHCI settings/drivers? I recently had a case where one of my tools didn’t work properly on an Optiarc drive. After some debugging I found a certain command leading to errors or even causing a BSOD in debug mode. Changing BIOS to use IDE instead of AHCI mode let the program finish successfully. I guess using Microsoft AHCI drivers instead of Intel ones could have worked too but I was too lazy to test in detail as I already managed to achieve what I wanted :wink:

[QUOTE=Liggy;2747349]Could this be related to drivers and IDE/AHCI settings/drivers? I recently had a case where one of my tools didn’t work properly on an Optiarc drive. After some debugging I found a certain command leading to errors or even causing a BSOD in debug mode. Changing BIOS to use IDE instead of AHCI mode let the program finish successfully. I guess using Microsoft AHCI drivers instead of Intel ones could have worked too but I was too lazy to test in detail as I already managed to achieve what I wanted ;)[/QUOTE]

Both machines are in IDE-Mode.
The first one use an eSATA-ExpressCard with Silicon Image 3132 Chipset.
The second one the SATA port of the mainboard.

iHASx24 Rev. A and B and iHBSx12 are read well with these machines by FlashUtility and LtnFlash 2.6.11.

But to my surprise the Optiarc BD-5300s 1.06 can’t be read on the first machine at all but on the second only with FlashUtility.

Also DOSFlash reads suceessfully on 2nd machhine but not on 1st machine since it didn’t see the SATA port.

Lot’s of confusion with the last post. Maybe it’s also not working due to later installed software. Anyway, a good example always to check the bin file with an hex Editor.

@ Albert:
Would it be a good idea to add what generation the firmware is in post #6?

Anyway, I’m looking for a valid firmeware dump of the BWU-500S 1st generation drive.

And what do you want? :wink: Factory firmware 1.62 ?-no exe. to this version.

[QUOTE=HM01;2748221]@ Albert:
[/QUOTE]

I plan to add that information soon, when I can properly verify it.

@ czary2mary1, post #28:
A binary firmware dump of 1.6x
The firmware provided in your pictures looks good. So 1.62 is ok.

[QUOTE=HM01;2748221]
Anyway, I’m looking for a valid firmeware dump of the BWU-500S 1st generation drive.[/QUOTE]

I uploaded a copy of all the latest 1st & 2nd generation BD-5300S and BWU-500S firmwares here: http://www40.zippyshare.com/v/yCblde8T/file.html

[QUOTE=HM01;2748221]
[/QUOTE]

All firmwares from post #7 are 2nd generation.

Just to quickly cover the most usual suspects:

• For iHBS112 2 drives: CL0x = 1st generation, PL0x = 2nd generation

• For eHBU212 2 drives: RL1x = 1st generation, ZL0x = 2nd generation

• For iHBS212 2 drives: 5L0x = 1st generation, HL0x = 2nd generation

• For Plextor drives things are more tricky because confusingly enough both 1st and 2nd generation firmwares are named in exactly the same 1.0x format, so for example a 1.03 firmware could be either 1st generation or 2nd generation, depending on the firmware’s (internal/release) date.

• For BD-5300S drives: 1.0x = 1st generation, 2.0x = 2nd generation

• For BWU-500S drives: 1.6x = 1st generation, 2.6x = 2nd generation

Updating with the kind contributions from cvs. :flower:

I’ll be mirroring the Sony/Optiarc firmware shortly, and will add generation info to the listings.

Edit: Firmware added, descriptions tweaks, SHA sum list updated. If you detect any bad links, let me know.

Hi Albert,
Would you be so kind to reupload pl01 if it was not same as the pl01 in the “Liteon iHBS112 & 212 12x BD-RW” thread at #198 ? I have some questions in the big ihbs112,212,312 thread would you see them too? Thank you in anticipation!

There is only one iHBS112 PL01 that we know of.

The checksum of your (missing) Pl01 is not the same as mine. I compared the (Windows7)zipped Pl01.bin with yours. Checksumming the zipped version maybe not a good idea. There could be different zip algorithms, what do you think?

Oh, so that’s what you meant…gotcha. Fixed the link. Sorry about that, & thanks.

I manually zipped the firmware files after glancing at the ID , version, and date strings – and after making sure there was nothing bad hidden in the files – so the checksum will be different from other zip files.

Me thank too.There is no difference now. :frowning:

Hello, i have a “TEAC BD-W512GSA PT11” (PLD DH12B2LH B / 20. April 2013). After Crossflashing to Plextor or LiteOn, is the Drive unable to read and recognize any Media. Flashing back to the Original TEAC Firmware, the Drive works.

[U]My Steps to Crossflashing:[/U]

• Identify with ImgBurn: Drive is a second generation Drive (Bus Encryption supported)

• Backup EEPROM with EEPROM_Utility v6.2.0 (8 KB)

• Modify EEPROM Data File for Plextor (BD -> B7/B8)

• Backup Firmware with DOSFlash (another PC with SATA/IDE Mode and DOS)

• Flash Plextor Firmware for PX-B950UE with DOSFlash

• Restore modifyed EEPROM (B8) with EEPROM_Utility

• Power the Drive Off/On and restart Windows

• Check Drive with PlexUtilitys - Result: Laser damaged, all other Checks are OK

• Drive cannot read any Media (Please insert a Medium… by selecting the Drive)

I have checked the Drive with the Firmware for PX-B950UE, PX-LB950UE and iHBS112-2 with the same Result,
the Drive works only with the TEAC Firmware, or what Step have I forgotten ?

[QUOTE=toralf;2750404]

• Flash Plextor Firmware for PX-B950UE with DOSFlash
    [/QUOTE]

You should use the unlocked flasher method described in step #3