Liteon iHASx24 drives: Crossflashing *within* a series (for C, D, and E series/revision drives)

deleted

[QUOTE=blackened2687;2717343][B]ToneEQ[/B], if you have dumped flash by Flash Utility, then your flash dump is incorrect. Do it with DosFlash (download it from Zak’s links in the first post of the topic) and please upload your dump here for somebody’s needs.

Here are some flash images for you and everybody who need them:

iHAS122/322 C, iHAS124/324/524 C - http://www76.zippyshare.com/v/63971396/file.html
iHAS120 D, iHAS124/524 D - http://www76.zippyshare.com/v/16290399/file.html
iHAS122 E, iHAS124/324 E - http://www76.zippyshare.com/v/65941334/file.html

It seems it’s possible to crossflash iHAS122 C to iHAS124 C since this is the same drive, but EEPROM conversion is necessary for this crossflash - after the flashing iHAS122 C with iHAS124 C firmware LED of the drive starts to blink. EEPROM conversion algorithm is unclear for me, so I can’t help here. Probably [B]anywhere[/B] can do it.[/QUOTE]

Dear blackened2687 (or anyone else), can you please re-upload ihas324e binary file for crossflashing the asus 24b1st i version?

Will the crossflash improve performance?

[QUOTE=light0;2740158]Dear blackened2687 (or anyone else), can you please re-upload ihas324e binary file for crossflashing the asus 24b1st i version?

Will the crossflash improve performance?[/QUOTE]

See here: http://club.myce.com/f87/asus-drw-24b1st-i-333722/#post2740159

In terms of improved performance, no idea … but the LiteOn firmwares are newer, so one would hope that they might contain some fixes and/or better media support.

with the asus I, i got pretty good results with the standard firmware, however as long as you can backup your stuff, no harm in trying if you have a proven method for crossflashing.

Thanks for the .BIN file CVS. I can confirm that the crossflash works using the methodology from your post. Had to set SATA to IDE mode. Also boot using x86 Win8pe, not x64 (I normally use linux, so had to boot from one of those win8pe ISOs in order to flash).

Now that my drive works using the LiteOn firmware I have a question. [B]Could using this different firmware damage my drive? [/B]Earlier it is indicated the PCB tray between the ASUS and iHAS drives are different. Could this affect anything?

just wanted to give this to a few people, specifically HM01 who asked for what I had, and cvs, whom is our resident bin hoarder :stuck_out_tongue:

please don’t assume everything with these bin’s is perfect, and don’t assume that cause the EEPROM files are present, that flashing them will work on your drive…especially without backup. and read the readme and any other text files, i put them there for a reason.

this is my working directory of firmwares…i stopped posting as much and stuff in this post a while ago when life got harder…different…and figured someone else can use these since people keep pm’ing me for them :stuck_out_tongue:

anyway, any questions i get emails when people post, so ill answer questions pretty promptly (usually within 12 hours or so)

please be careful, don’t brick your drive over something dumb cause i gave you files and you went click crazy.

zak7

edit: i know i listed all my drives in my sig, i’m not sure if they are ALL in my zip, i think they should be, if they aren’t, feel free to bring it to my attention and i will fix…

http://zak.dotpre.com/myce_fw.zip

[QUOTE=light0;2740517]Thanks for the .BIN file CVS. I can confirm that the crossflash works using the methodology from your post. Had to set SATA to IDE mode. Also boot using x86 Win8pe, not x64 (I normally use linux, so had to boot from one of those win8pe ISOs in order to flash).

Now that my drive works using the LiteOn firmware I have a question. [B]Could using this different firmware damage my drive? [/B]Earlier it is indicated the PCB tray between the ASUS and iHAS drives are different. Could this affect anything?[/QUOTE]

Just noticed your posts bold…sorry.

If the drives are the same and the firmware is working, I don’t see why it would damage your drives, the only way I know of differences of firmware affecting a drive physically is with a certain drive and the fw having the tray eject like 80mm more or something, and people actually go crazy over having the right firmware. I think the drive is a Plextor cause when i got my PX-880SA off eBay for like 30$ (i know right…badass price, and its the best burner I have, and i have alot. a DH16AAS is the second best as far as results…crazy that one was like 8$ on eBay)…and even then it doesnt much matter as far as damaging it goes, even if you put the firmware on a drive that doesnt from the manufacturer do it, but works, it would then eject the drive more. So I think if it works, your pretty safe.

Just don’t go messing with the EEPROM…

Thanks zak7!

[QUOTE=HM01;2740815]Thanks zak7![/QUOTE]

No problem…glad to know my method worked for your drive.

I wonder if this will eventually make it to sticky, its got plenty of views and posts and content :slight_smile: hint hint albert!

[QUOTE=zak7;2740841]No problem…glad to know my method worked for your drive.

I wonder if this will eventually make it to sticky, its got plenty of views and posts and content :slight_smile: hint hint albert![/QUOTE]

Sorry, what? :stuck_out_tongue:

Do you have any suggested changes to the title and/or the first post?

[QUOTE=Albert;2740861]Sorry, what? :stuck_out_tongue:

Do you have any suggested changes to the title and/or the first post?[/QUOTE]

It seems to have done a good enough job thus far, Maybe just add a link at the bottom to the firmware pack I just posted would be all, and if you wanted to change the to say C/D, and x24 because i assume it works on D as well, however I haven’t personally tried it…maybe you know for sure better then I?

Thanks btw :slight_smile:

i crossflash HP DH-16ACSH to IHAS124 C and Plex 891SA, but led blinking. Any Chance to fix this without backing HP fw ?

[QUOTE=VANT;2750735]i crossflash HP DH-16ACSH to IHAS124 C and Plex 891SA, but led blinking. Any Chance to fix this without backing HP fw ?[/QUOTE]
This is usually due to the drive ID in the EEPROM not matching the firmware.

The convert drive option in EEPROM Utility corrects this by modifying the EEPROM code, but hasn’t been updated to support the newer Lite-On drives. (IIRC it does not work with the ‘C’ drives, but I’m not certain.)

For the newer drives you have to do the EEPROM modification manually. The procedure should be the same as for the iHBS drives and is described in this thread.

[B]Before you begin, make certain you understand & accept the risks of crossflashing[/B]. ([I]If you are still not sure what to do after reading this thread then [U]stop now and go no further![/U] All crossflashing carries risks and is not for dummies.[/I])

Above all, before doing anything make sure you make a [U]backup of your drive’s EEPROM & original firmware[/U]. This is essential should you need to recover from a failed crossflash. Some of the EEPROM data is unique to each individual drive.

ok i understand, but what code is for ihas C drives ?

[QUOTE=VANT;2750746]ok i understand, but what code is for ihas C drives ?[/QUOTE]
The question you need to ask is: [B][I]‘What is the EEPROM code for PX-891SA drives[/I]?’[/B] :wink:

The fact that you have experienced problems is evidence that not all ‘C’ drives use the same EEPROM code. And it seems that some ‘C’ drives can be crossflashed to PX-891SA without EEPROM modification, but others need modification

Logically the EEPROM code must be contained somewhere in the firmware .bin file, but I don’t know where. Searching the file blindly doesn’t help as any given two character hex code is likely to appear many times.

If you haven’t done so already, you could try the convert drive option in EEPROM Utility. There is a chance it might work.

If not, you need to inspect the EEPROM dumped from a PX-891SA (or a drive already crossflashed to). Or hope that somebody round here knows the code and stops by. (I assume you have already done a thorough search of this forum, and Google. ;))

unfortunatelly EU cant convert drive.

i try write eeprom from ihas124 C but not help. I think that eeprom utility and ltnflash cant write eeprom in rev. C becouse read always same eeprom without any changes from this drive

So we must wait for any tools from codeguys :wink: that can write eeprom.

[QUOTE=VANT;2750815]
So we must wait for any tools from codeguys :wink: that can write eeprom.[/QUOTE]
It will be a long wait, Codeking retired a few years ago. :wink:

[QUOTE=VANT;2750815]i try write eeprom from ihas124 C but not help. I think that eeprom utility and ltnflash cant write eeprom in rev. C becouse read always same eeprom without any changes from this drive
[/QUOTE]
From what I have read on this forum, EEPROM Utility should be able to read & write correctly with iHAS ‘C’ drives. It is only the Convert Drive option which fails.

If EEPROM Utility is failing to write the EEPROM back to your drive, then something else is causing the problem - the prime suspects are the SATA controller, or software such as AnyDVD, Passkey, anti virus etc.

hmm…i also write fw to other drives without aby problem (i crossflash dh-16ablh to plextor 890sa) and work ok, so i think that is not sata or antywirus.