Liteon iHASx24 drives: Crossflashing *within* a series (for C, D, and E series/revision drives)

vbimport

Lately i’ve been in talks on the huge The New LiteOn/PLDS Patched Firmware Thread with Albert & anywhere, who have been a great help in this venture thus far. While we hit a few obstacles, I’ve come to the conclusion with much help, that it should be possible to flash this drive i’m working with, the HP DVD A DH16ACSH (PLDS DVDRW DH16ACSH), to iHAS124-04C.

It’s a MT1809LN chipset (MediaTek) with 1.5MB buffer and 1MB Flash. For those of you who are interested in whether it works with the latest BurnerMax payload, it does, right out of the box with the original firmware, of which i have JL3A, I’ve seen a post on Xecuter’s forums of someone claiming to have a JL3B firmware that had success with the BurnerMax payload as well. (unsure if he made a mistake on his firmware revision, or what as i’ve not seen any mention of that revision ANYWHERE else, i have seen JHD6, JHD5, and JA11 listed as revisions elsewhere though, no data of payload compatibility though, assuming they also work as the chipset would be the same)

I’ve completed 2 burns with the drive of XGD3 backups that verified in ABGX360 with LUK recommended settings for the type of media and imgburn, PI was peaking at 50-70, except at the layerbreak, and averaged around 8-12.

As discussed previously in numerous threads, C and D revisions of iHAS do not read firmware/flash properly in FlashUtility, as well as a variety of other utilities, but DOSFlash does properly read the firmware. I have successfully dumped my JL3A revision of this drives firmware, however it is downtuned on the hardware, it burns a max of 16X on DVDR SL Media, and overall other settings are tuned down if i’m reading correctly. I’m looking for someone out there who has the C revision of the iHAS124-04 drive, preferably who knows they have the same chipset (MT1809LN), however if you don’t know for sure and can’t be bothered to open up your drive and check the PCB, thats not a problem, either way i’d greatly appreciate the time. Using DOSFlash is really easy, you simply google DosFlash, download it, and using portio, it reads the firmware properly from the drive to a .bin file. PortIO can be a pain to get working, i suggest getting the DSEO utility, signing the .sys file you need (64bit, or 32bit) and then running the utility as ADMIN with the portio.sys file in the same directory as DOSFlash.

It’s also neccesary that I rewrite the EEPROM to the iHAS124-04C compatible EEPROM, the settings are not the same firmware->firmware, you can dump that as well using LtnFlash, or EEPROM Utility. You can’t use EEPROM to convert/crossflash the C or D revision, so unfortunately using a dump of someone elses drive and writing over your previous settings is the only way to proceed. While there is drive specific hardware calibration data included in the EEPROM, it shouldn’t suffer much in performance, I’d guess it is about the equivilent of replacing the laser inside your drive with a new one. Obviously the EEPROM would not be configured for the new laser, I can’t see much else calibration data being drive specific…

So basically if you have a iHAS124C, or a 324C or 524C, and are willing to help me out with the Firmware BIN and EEPROM Dump, I’d greatly appreciate it! Also, if you have any comments, suggestions, or information to share based on my findings/data/proposed method above, PLEASE feel free to post and share your knowledge. None of the drive hacks and mods we have would be possible if no one shared and worked together. Finally, if you have the DH16ACSH, it might be a good idea to subscribe to this thread and join in with any data/info/experiences you have with your drive, or if you want to partake in this mod as well, post below and im sure we can get this drive going to its full potential!

Thanks for everything guys, your awesome.
Heres hoping for someone with a little free time and a desire to help me out!

zak.

Links to make your life easier :stuck_out_tongue:

DOSFlash v2.0 with signed PortIO drivers (32 and 64 Bit) (use for reading/writing firmware .bin file on C/D revision iHAS)(you may need Drive Signature Enforcement Overrider, below, on 64-bit systems)

EEPROM Utility v6.2.0 for LiteOn/Sony/BenQ Drives from codeguys.rpc1.org (for modifying and reading/writing EEPROM on LiteOn/Sony/BenQ drives)

LtnFlash v2.6.11 from CDRLabs.com [alternate link: CDRLab.pl] (reading/write Flash/EEPROM under E2 Menu (0x2000))

PLDS DH-16ACSH JL3A Firmware (via DOSFlash v2.0) (for anyone interested)

Driver Signature Enforcement Overrider 1.3b (via NGOhq.com)

Other Utilities from codeguys.rpc1.org

(Edit: ) See post 66 for an updated pack of C series firmware: http://club.myce.com/f44/liteon-ihas124c-crossflashing-firmware-333397/index3.html#post2740711 (end edit)

Images (for information purposes):

To use LtnFlash 2.6.11 to backup EEPROM:
Select “E2” tab [highlighted in pink]

Change “EEPROM Length” to 0x2000 [highlighted in pink]

Click “Save” [highlighted in pink]

…To write EEPROM after saving it, click the pencil/pen icon next to the magnifying glass [highlighted in pink]

Just an update over in this thread too, I’ve managed to figure out how to extract the firmware from LiteOn’s new Flashers that don’t work with the extracting tools. As of now i have to manually do this procedure, however it takes merely a minute or less now that i’ve done it a few times. I’m planning on writing a new utility probably in cpp to do this automatically, if i can’t figure that out, i’ll probably just post a tutorial on how. Only issue so far is whether or not there is a copy of the EEPROM needed inside the exe, and as I don’t have any other EEPROM dump’s but my own, which isnt a iHAS drive, i have literally nothing to compare to…Anyone with any EEPROM dump’s please help me out with this…the link to the files is below…

LL08.bin unscrambled stock firmware (LiteOn iHAS124C) and EEPROM or BootCode (4KB)

Remember, i just tried this out yesterday, and havent tested this at all yet, so before you go blindly flashing it thinking the day is saved, remember the EEPROM problem still hasn’t been addressed, and I’m not entirely sure the firmware is 100% perfect for flashing with FU or LtnFlash or anything, probably will have to be DosFlash, but as i said, no tests have been done yet…

These are from a ihas324C - hope they help

Flash
https://app.box.com/s/pn6a3eegupglxxpgkp6j

Eeprom

https://app.box.com/s/u22uvp2lkbw6p4pf9rac

Isn’t a new IHAS124 about $18? What’s the draw of converting your DH16ACSH instead of just buying one?

Its almost impossible to find anything but W’s these days, except on eBay and those are almost 50, some upwards of 60, and this drive was free.

What does the C do that the W doesn’t? Isn’t the W basically an Optiarc?

Well most of us who are seeking out A-D revisions are using them for Overburning, which uses the payload from BurnerMax app, or imgburn, which encorperated the BurnerMax payload shortly after it became widely compatible with the C and D revisions and other clones. the Y revision is a NEC chipset, not a MediaTek (the type compatible with BurnerMax/Overburning) and the W is a newer chipset that while it is MediaTek, just wont work with the payload utility, or hasnt been updated to work with it, and not too sure if it will. Also, my burner is detuned to 16X SL DVDR burning, while the iHASx24 obviously is a 24x DVD burning utility, and since the hardware is identical, it is capable of 24x, just not possible to do so with the firmware.

Update: I’ve since compared the 324C firmware/eeprom posted generously by scotty03 to the data i can extract from the executables, and there are very minor differences, not sure if they affect the firmwares functionality, i’d be interested in knowing if scotty purchased the drive with that firmware, or used the updater (the one off firmwarehq or what) to update it to that version. Hopefully he’ll check back in with me. Also it appears the 4096 bytes, preceeding the firmware block in the executable is NOT the EEPROM, so i’m thinking its possible a bootcode, or a sequence of data required for the drive to update (a set of commands or a stream to put the drive in vendor mode?)

The interesting part, and the part that led me to identifying the blocks of data as the firmware, is follows…

PARA_OPT=.001011001100010100000000000200..BIN_START1=0000000000.BIN_START2=0000000000.BIN_START3=0000000000.BIN_START4=0000000000.BIN_SIZE1B=0001048576.BIN_SIZE2 =0000000000.BIN_SIZE3 =0000000000.BIN_SIZE4 =0000000000.NEW_FW1=LL14....NEW_FW2=N/A    .NEW_FW3=N/A    .NEW_FW4=N/A    .NEW_BOOTFW1=0L1E....NEW_BOOTFW2=N/A    .NEW_BOOTFW3=N/A    .NEW_BOOTFW4=N/A    

immediately following this is 4096 bytes of the data i can’t recognize as EEPROM, but the next byte is the beginning of the firmware file, and if you’ve hexed your firmware file before, you’ll see the 4-5 “BOOT” in plaintext, that was my clue that thats where it started, alongside the even farther preceeded clue that 4096 bytes were preceeding the block of data identifiable as the firmware…seen here

Flash Program for ATAPI iHAS324   C.............................2012/09/10..00-18-FE-6E-06-95...............ATAPI iHAS324   C................................................FW_CONSTRAINTS=.[B]4096[/B]..............TRAY_OUT_IN_NO=00.LL11....LL14....ATAPI   ....iHAS324   C     ........0L1!....0L1~....ATAPI   ....iHAS324   C     

So at this point i’m still unsure if the firmware extracted from the binary using my method is 100% functional, and its certainly missing EEPROM data, which i’m not assuming does not update from FW version to FW version…unfortunate…but expected. I haven’t tried the crossflash yet, I’ve backed up my EEPROM and FW as i should, and will probably try the 324C firmware sometime this weekend…I’ll check back and let everyone know if finally C revisions (and likely D’s once they get a dump of EEPROM and FW binaries) can finally be crossflashed :stuck_out_tongue:

Anyone know though, is BOOTFW (which is identified as 4096 bytes it seems) the same thing as bootcode (ex: update bootcode) ? and is that not part of the 1048kbytes of firmware data?

[QUOTE=zak7;2696261]Well most of us who are seeking out A-D revisions are using them for Overburning, which uses the payload from BurnerMax app, or imgburn, which encorperated the BurnerMax payload shortly after it became widely compatible with the C and D revisions and other clones. the Y revision is a NEC chipset, not a MediaTek (the type compatible with BurnerMax/Overburning) and the W is a newer chipset that while it is MediaTek, just wont work with the payload utility, or hasnt been updated to work with it, and not too sure if it will. Also, my burner is detuned to 16X SL DVDR burning, while the iHASx24 obviously is a 24x DVD burning utility, and since the hardware is identical, it is capable of 24x, just not possible to do so with the firmware.[/QUOTE]Good grief… My local Microcenter was selling WU drives. No idea what’s in those. It would have been so much easier if Lite-On had changed the part number instead of this nonsense.

It seems like the AD-5280S-CB-PLUS would be popular with the overburning crowd instead of trying to find particular revisions of the iHAS and paying a premium for them.

[QUOTE=zak7;2696261]
Update: I’ve since compared the 324C firmware/eeprom posted generously by scotty03 to the data i can extract from the executables, and there are very minor differences, not sure if they affect the firmwares functionality, i’d be interested in knowing if scotty purchased the drive with that firmware, or used the updater (the one off firmwarehq or what) to update it to that version.[/QUOTE]

Could not tell you what version it came with as it has been updated from Firmware HQ a couple of times since I bought it.

[QUOTE=Stereodude;2696265]Good grief… My local Microcenter was selling WU drives. No idea what’s in those. It would have been so much easier if Lite-On had changed the part number instead of this nonsense.

It seems like the AD-5280S-CB-PLUS would be popular with the overburning crowd instead of trying to find particular revisions of the iHAS and paying a premium for them.[/QUOTE]

Funny thing, i actually have that drive already too. It’s quite a good drive and burns better then the Liteon clone, functionality was never my goal, i’m pretty much doing this for fun at this point heh.

As for Scotty, thats what i was wondering, if you had updated the drive with the same flasher i exported the firmware from, which if you did indeed use the firmwarehq one, was likely the case, so ill proceed with that assumption. Thanks for the info.

As before, still looking for any and all dumps of stock firmware’s from the drives out there guys. specifically C and D iHAS drives :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Stereodude;2696265]Good grief… My local Microcenter was selling WU drives. No idea what’s in those. It would have been so much easier if Lite-On had changed the part number instead of this nonsense.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=zak7;2696261]Well most of us who are seeking out A-D revisions are using them for Overburning, which uses the payload from BurnerMax app, or imgburn, which encorperated the BurnerMax payload shortly after it became widely compatible with the C and D revisions and other clones. the Y revision is a NEC chipset, not a MediaTek (the type compatible with BurnerMax/Overburning) and the W is a newer chipset that while it is MediaTek, just wont work with the payload utility, or hasnt been updated to work with it, and not too sure if it will. [/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Stereodude;2696260]What does the C do that the W doesn’t? Isn’t the W basically an Optiarc?[/QUOTE]

Just reinforcing: The W is basically an (unreleased) Optiarc with an NEC chipset*, so not exactly equivalent to the MediaTek drives.

*: (Renesas-branded, an evolution of previous NEC technology; not an evolution of older Renesas technology)

[QUOTE=Albert;2696331]Just reinforcing: The W is basically an (unreleased) Optiarc with an NEC chipset*, so not exactly equivalent to the MediaTek drives.

*: (Renesas-branded, an evolution of previous NEC technology; not an evolution of older Renesas technology)[/QUOTE]

Ahh, i was mistaken, i thought the W was still mediatek, and the Y was the only NEC, thanks for the correction, good to know.

after much work on the C clone, i just purchased a B clone, the DH16ABSH, from ebay for ~17$ theres one day left and like 9 left if anyone wants to buy it now the link is below…if posting links to ebay isnt allowed mods feel free to remove, but i didnt see anything about it in the rules of the forum, as its not mine, nor a business i run, its not spam or whatever…but yea…

hxxp://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=161076177783&ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:US:3160

like i said, one day left, but its a B clone as stated on the site in other threads, so i’ll be working with that and since B firmwares are available unscrambled and stuff, i’ll hopefully finish up the cpp code i’m working on to extract the new flasher bins

Just to give a little update on where i’m at with this project, I’ve got a Asus iHAS124C clone (DRW-24B1ST c) and ordered a iHAS124-04C LiteOn official drive, and i still have the DH16ACSH drive. I also have a DH16ABSH drive i’ve successfully got crossflashed to iHAS124B (iXtreme Max FW)… Once i get all these drives in, (i just ordered them) i should be able to progress and get the firmware extractor done, and the crossflashing method for C revision iHAS drives figured out, that is, if its possible.

Anyone out there looking to help, or join in/test…feel free to post or PM.

Are all DRW-24B1ST c drives iHAS124C clones? None are D or W models?

I’m fairly certain they are…thats why its a c afterwards. I saw “i” as well, at the store. I will confirm later, after further investigation i suppose, I’ve read that they are though…Also have seen a and b revisions.

I’ve actually been reading some other posts here, and some claim if its 1.04/1.05 c revisions that its actually a B clone, and flashing of iHAS324B is possible, see if u can search and find those posts, here is one, im sure there are others. I’m off to work, will check back here when i get back.

Just got my retail iHAS124-04C in, gonna get to dumping the firmware with dosflash soon, so everyone can have a chance at crossflashing hopefully, well see though :slight_smile:

so i’ve gotten the LL02 firmware off the iHAS124-04C drive, its 1MB, and isnt all scrambled, i used dosflash, it was a little tricky to get the drive into vendor mode for some reason, but i got it there. Wonderin if anyone out there needs the LL02 firmware, or i guess another one for the same revision ©, cause i can update/go back, but because its EEPROM is specific, i guess what i really need is someone who has a C revised drive with a bad flash or something who wants to try out recovering to the LL02 i dumped to verify its 100%. Or just doesnt care about teh drive, I’m ordering yet ANOTHER c clone, to try it, but i guess i’ll be flashing over the EEPROM too, and who knows what that will really do…but i’ll keep posted.

If anyone needs the C revision firmwares let me know…this adventure should be rounding up to a close soon :slight_smile:

k guys heres LL02 unscrambled .bin file for iHAS124-04C retail drive, i dumped it off the retail lite-on drive using dosflash and portio, youll need a EEPROM for it, and convert drive doesnt work on the EEPROM utility. If your going to try and crossflashing and fool around with this firmware bin, BE SURE TO BACKUP ALL YOUR FIRMWARE AND EEPROM STUFF FIRST!!!

cvs, i know you want this file :stuck_out_tongue:

http://zak.dotpre.com/LL02.zip