Liteon iHAS624 DVD Burner Review

I just posted the article Liteon iHAS624 DVD Burner Review..

The iHAS624 is liteon’s latest DVD burner, for the first time you can have both Labeltag and Lightscribe in one drive, plus all the other features that liteon has to offer. In this review we will take a close look at the performance of the drive, and also a close look on Labeltag. Lightscribe and Smart Erase.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/review/liteon-ihas624-dvd-burner-review-37890/](http://www.myce.com/review/liteon-ihas624-dvd-burner-review-37890/)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Thank you for the review. In my opinion drive needs firmware improvement and doesn’t deserves for your choice award. CU.

Very good drive, very good review :bow:

Very nice review, thanks Vroom!
It looks like with a fw upgrade minor cons will be eliminated…

Good Work :slight_smile:

From the CD writing tests:

The result is very good, although we note that the burn was slowed down near the end of the disc.
there is nothing wrong here - the drive reaches its rated maximum speed (48x) rather early and keeps it until the end of the disc. I would not call this a slowdown.

What’s also interesting: According to the sticker on the drive, 2,5A @12V are required. This power requirement makes this drive not recommendable if installation in external enclosures is intended (their PSUs normally reach 2A @12V if the weather is nice, the girls are pretty and the beer is cold).

Michael

Nice review, [B]vroom[/B] - thanks! :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=mciahel;2564592]… their PSUs normally reach 2A @12V if the weather is nice, the girls are pretty and the beer is cold…[/QUOTE] What happens if the weather is cold, the girls are nice and the beer is pretty? :stuck_out_tongue:

How can you say “good quality reading and burning on all media” in your quote when it needs improvement for DVD-R media?

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2564595]
What happens if the weather is cold, the girls are nice and the beer is pretty? :p[/QUOTE]These are operating conditions the PSU was not designed for - so anything evil can happen :smiley:

Michael

I’d imagine the 2.5A is to support both LabelTag and LightScribe labeling purposes, not burning media.

It’s good because it’s not excellent.

[QUOTE=Im a PC;2564608]How can you say “good quality reading and burning on all media” in your quote when it needs improvement for DVD-R media?[/QUOTE]

The quality is good mainly because i didn’t have any problems reading back the test discs that i burned at 16x.

I also made a few burns at 16x for some friends (dvd-video) and all the disc were working perfect, so i can easily say that the quality is good.

Yes there is room for improvement, nothing wrong at pointing out some things that require fixing, that’s why it’s good and not very good or excellent.

Is there a mentioning what chipset is in that box?

For the results I am not impressed - fairly average write quality sometimes too wobbly scans for my taste. Can not do many media formats just the most used formats are supported.

apparently manufacturing quality is declining

[QUOTE=Millennium12;2564706]Is there a mentioning what chipset is in that box?

For the results I am not impressed - fairly average write quality sometimes too wobbly scans for my taste. Can not do many media formats just the most used formats are supported.

apparently manufacturing quality is declining[/QUOTE]

Give me one day for info on the chipset.

Take your time, vroom!

[QUOTE=Millennium12;2564706]Is there a mentioning what chipset is in that box?

apparently manufacturing quality is declining[/QUOTE]

I have a 524 A from TigerDirect, and an Asus DRW-24B1ST from Newegg, both bought during the Black Friday sale. I use them only for DL writing with MIS Verbatim true 8X. Both drives are true LiteOn drives, and are good but not outstanding in DL writing. I would consider them good but not Revelation. My impression agrees with the review in DL writing quality.

Chipset is mt1839ln

I see MT1839LN … :wink:

[QUOTE=zhadoom;2564819]I see MT1839LN … ;)[/QUOTE]

8&9 are very close on the keyboard :o i’ll fix the my post.

The numbers are correct, just the last letter is a ‘N,’ not ‘M.’

It seems like all the ‘B’-series drives use the same chipset, from 124 to 624, and just adding features along the way.

Thanks, vroom!

Pioneer 24x using the same chipset

http://club.myce.com/f87/pioneer-dvr-219chv-vxl-s19l-s19fx-314818/#post2537882

btw, I did not get any thread notification

My poor old LiteON 20A1P Has almost died !!!

It’s pretty much decided it will NOT open for me without having to use the emergency eject hole 99% of the time :smiley: Luckily for me there is a new LiteON (SATA) drive which will hopefully be my christmas present to myself :wink: Thanks for the nice review.

Now, Off to find a uk stockist :stuck_out_tongue: