SB on, FHT/OS/OHT off
Burn specified at 24x, effective 22x[/QUOTE]

Additional scans…

Drive: iHAS324-17 F (Retail)
Firmware: CL17
MID: TYG03
Burn Method: 16x CAV
Settings: SB on

Could somebody please make the dumps of iHAS124 F CL06 and iHAS324 F CL16/CL17 firmwares? DOSFlash and the new Flash Utility can do it properly. Thanks in advance!

[QUOTE=blackened2687;2766378]Could somebody please make the dumps of iHAS124 F CL06 and iHAS324 F CL16/CL17 firmwares? DOSFlash and the new Flash Utility can do it properly. Thanks in advance![/QUOTE]

Here’s a copy of CL17: http://www9.zippyshare.com/v/bYYHwmAO/file.html

If you haven’t got it already, you can still get a copy of the newer CL08 from here: http://club.myce.com/f44/liteon-ihas124-ihas324-f-dh24af-338598/index2.html#post2763904

I don’t have any CL06 and CL16 dumps :frowning: If someone can do a dump for us that would be great :flower:

[B]cvs[/B], thank you very much! :flower:

Here is the dump of iHAS122 F EL02, for the case if somebody will need it: http://www109.zippyshare.com/v/sem531Q3/file.html

I hope that [B]KTL[/B] made the dump of CL16 before updating to CL17, and that [B]Two Degrees[/B] could probably dump CL06 firmware from his drive. :slight_smile:

LiteOn iHAS 124 FU

I will add pictures I see that still lack in the subject …:wink:

Platinum CD-R Plasmon 97m27s18f
LiteOn iHAS 124 F fw.CL08
Nero 2016 x24

Traxdata CD-R Pro-series Ritek 97m15s17f Made in China
Nero 2016 x16

TDK DVD+R MID:CMCMAGM01 Made in Tajwan
Nero 2016 x 8

Verbatim 8x DVD+R
Blank shiny
MCC 003 (Made in Taiwan)
iHAS324-F (CL17)
SB on, FHT/OS/OHT off
Burned at 6x

[QUOTE=jadburner;2767955]Verbatim 8x DVD+R
Blank shiny
MCC 003 (Made in Taiwan)
iHAS324-F (CL17)
SB on, FHT/OS/OHT off
Burned at 6x[/QUOTE]

Additional scans…

Verbatim 8x DVD+R
Blank shiny
MCC 003 (Made in Taiwan)
iHAS324-F (CL17)
SB on, FHT/OS/OHT off
Burned at 8x

[QUOTE=jadburner;2767957]Verbatim 8x DVD+R
Blank shiny
MCC 003 (Made in Taiwan)
iHAS324-F (CL17)
SB on, FHT/OS/OHT off
Burned at 8x[/QUOTE]

Additional scans…

Crosspost from the ASUS section of this forum, which may be relevant here.

I recently purchased an iHAS-124 FU drive, and an ASUS “DRW-24F1ST c” which appears to be an iHAS-124 F rebadge. I flashed the CL08 firmware (linked from this forum) to both of these drives.

I only do dvd ripping with these drives. No burning at all.

Here is the repost of

[QUOTE=jcroy;2767740]I’ve noticed the reading behavior with the CL08 firmware, is slightly better than the previous asus firmware. Though this may be somewhat “subjective”.

[B]Apparently on the old Asus firmware, sometimes the drive wasn’t going to full speed when ripping some movie dvd discs which I have previously ripped at full speed (12x or 16x). It’s not a riplock per se. But somehow when the drive was spinning up, it “sometimes got lost” and remained at a lower speed. This happened on quite a few discs, while other discs were fine and ripping at full speed.[/B]

With the CL08 firmware, this “sometimes getting lost” and not going to full speed behavior was somewhat lessened. Though not completely eliminated. (My “iHAS124 E” drive didn’t have this problem).[/QUOTE]

I think I may have found a partial solution to this problem of current LiteOn/Asus drives “sometimes getting lost and not going to full speed” behavior when a dvd disc is first being read.

The easiest way around this problem, is to run Nero Drivespeed in the background.

Before a disc is read, I set the Drivespeed to “silent” or another slower speed (such as 6x or 8x). When the LiteOn iHAS-124 FU (or Asus rebadge of iHAS-124 FU) is first reading a disc, somehow Nero Drivespeed ends up going to maximum speed (12x or 16x). If that doesn’t happen, I eject the disc and set Drivespeed to another slower speed, and read the disc again. After the disc goes to maximum speed (judging by the sound of the drive’s motor), I’ll start up the ripping program (ie. dvddecrypter, anydvd, dvdfab, etc …) about 10 seconds later.

I don’t run any dvd ripping/copying programs when the iHAS-124 FU (or Asus rebadge of iHAS-124 FU) is first reading a disc.

Hopefully the next firmware revision for iHAS-124 FU will solve this issue.

(This is strictly anecdotal and somewhat subjective, but I’ll mention it anyways).

Over this weekend, I looked into the reading behavior of my recently purchased iHAS124 F CL98 drive with an October 2015 manufacturing date.

My point of direct comparison is with my other F series drives/rebadges:

• iHAS124 F CL09 (with a May 2015 manufacturing date)
  • ASUS DRW-24F1ST c crossflashed to CL99 firmware (with a September 2015 manufacturing date)

So I ripped several dozen dvd discs on these three drives.

In regard to reading speed, the iHAS124 CL09 and Asus drives both still have some slight issues of “getting lost and not going to full speed” on some dvd discs when they are first inserted into the drive. (This was discussed in my previous post on this thread). This issue can be easily dealt with using the Nero drivespeed trick.

Going through the same several dozen dvd discs on the iHAS124 CL98 drive (with an October 2015 manufacturing date), it turns out every single one of these discs went to full speed (either 12x or 16x). The Nero drivespeed trick was not required at all.

To check further whether this was just a fluke with the iHAS124 CL98 drive (with an October 2015 manufacturing date), I dug up some more discs from my collection which could never be ripped at full speed on any of my previous dvdr drives. (Didn’t matter which previous model, revision, etc …). Typically these particular discs only ripped at a slower speed where it would take 10 minutes for a single-layer dvd5 disc, and around 15-25 minutes for a dual-layer dvd9 disc. (At full speed, a dvd5 disc only takes 4-5 minutes at 16x speed, while a fully packed dvd9 disc takes around 11-12 minutes at 12x speed).

Much to my surprise, the iHAS124 CL98 drive (with an October 2015 manufacturing date) could rip most of these particular discs at full speed, which my previous dvdr drives could never rip these same discs at the full 12x/16x speeds.

The only discs that the iHAS124 CL98 drive (with an October 2015 manufacturing date) still could not rip at full 12x/16x speed, were various Mill Creek dvd titles which appeared to be manufactured in China over the past two years or so. (Mill Creek has a reputation for cutting corners and lousy quality control).

[QUOTE=jcroy;2770975](This is strictly anecdotal and somewhat subjective, but I’ll mention it anyways).

Over this weekend, I looked into the reading behavior of my recently purchased iHAS124 F CL98 drive with an October 2015 manufacturing date.
[/QUOTE]

Thank you for keeping us updated! I have been following your observations with some interest :wink:

So is this apparent fix a hardware or firmware change? In other words, can you just update your iHAS124 F drive manufactured in May with the CL98 firmware to fix the “getting lost” problem? Or is the Oct. manufactured drive the only one that can take CL98?

Also, how are you verifying accurate reads for your DVD discs? Is the speed fix for the iHAS124 F CL98 drive really a speed fix, or is the increased read speed because the drive is accepting some errors in the rip?

[QUOTE=SpotOn;2771458]
Also, how are you verifying accurate reads for your DVD discs? Is the speed fix for the iHAS124 F CL98 drive really a speed fix, or is the increased read speed because the drive is accepting some errors in the rip?[/QUOTE]

I’m verifying the rips by calculating md5 hashes on the extracted isos. So far the md5 hashes are the same for rips from a particular dvd disc, using the same settings on dvd decrypter to rip the iso from various different drives.

A sign that there are problems, is when the hashes don’t match for a particular dvd disc rip (with the same settings on dvd decrypter).

(In principle I should be calculating other hashes for a second opinion, such as the sha* ones, but unfortunately they’re taking too long to calculate on my older computers. Nevertheless, the few sha* hashes I’ve calculated have also matched.).

So far the LiteOn E and F series drives I have, are not spitting out any garbage sectors. (Current LG drives are entirely different story).

(I’ll try to answer your other questions later).

[QUOTE=SpotOn;2771458]So is this apparent fix a hardware or firmware change?

Or is the Oct. manufactured drive the only one that can take CL98?[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately there are no definitive answers yet.

The only way to know for sure whether this is specifically a hardware issue, is to open up the LiteOn iHAS124 F drives/rebadges and see whether there are differences.

At the present time, I’m not willing to open up my drives yet since they are still under warranty. Though once the warranties have expired sometime next year around this time, I’ll probably open up the drives to see what they look like. (Assuming I still give a damn next year).

[QUOTE=jcroy;2771471]So far the LiteOn E and F series drives I have, are not spitting out any garbage sectors. (Current LG drives are entirely different story).[/QUOTE]

The only way I can figure out (with some certainty) whether a drive is spewing out garbage sectors that it is not suppose to be doing, is to rip movie dvd discs with the old DVD Decrypter and read through the logs.

When Dvd Decrypter is reading through a *.vob file and the mpeg2 header is missing from a particular sector, it will print out an error message mentioning this. This was how I found out about the “fatal reading behavior” on my LG drives.