Liteon iHAS124, iHAS324 F (DH24AF)

vbimport

For some reason neither nero cd/dvd speed nor opti drive are willing to benchmark my drive (I guess that’s because i use it with an usb3 to sata converter).

However, I just tried to benchmark it in a home-made makemkv ripping session (ok… all different movies, so really really not comparable) and it performed best out of all my drives with read speeds up to 11x (with an other dvd i tried an hour before it was really slow… only up to 4x… so that’s no general observation). Ripping the whole movie took about 10:51min for 4 created mkv files (however, that included conversion to mkv with my i7-3770, while there were in total 5 makemkv instances running and converting…).

Is it possible to create the firmware dump using a usb3-to-serial adapter? If not then I could also (temporarily) put it on sata directly…
BTW: Where can I download the tool to create the dump?

Niko,

Your ripping times at “full speed” sound very similar to mine. Around 11-12 minutes at a max speed of around 11-12x, on current LiteOn iHAS124 F drives.

Currently there is no easy way to speed up ripping times, unless you know how to hack the LiteOn firmware by hand.

[QUOTE=Niko_K;2786734]
BTW: Where can I download the tool to create the dump?[/QUOTE]

You can grab a copy from this link: https://digiex.net/threads/dosflash-v2-0-build-20110903-download.9262/

[QUOTE=Niko_K;2786727]Just got a new iHAS 324 F CL8F drive today (btw… this naming schema used by liteon is just… lets stay polite and describe it as “complicated and even a bit confusing”) :slight_smile:

Is there anything I can do to increase speed when ripping DVDs (I want to archive my collection)? I tried the firmwares that I found here in this forum, but they state that they do not work with F drives… (and CL8F seems to be very new, isn’t it?)[/QUOTE]

How about firmware at here :

http://www.firmwarehq.com/Lite-On/iHAS324%2BF/files.html

[QUOTE=rainydiary;2786745]How about firmware at here :

http://www.firmwarehq.com/Lite-On/iHAS324%2BF/files.html[/QUOTE]

That is just normal firmware, for drives using CL1x firmware.

[QUOTE=rainydiary;2786745]How about firmware at here :

http://www.firmwarehq.com/Lite-On/iHAS324%2BF/files.html[/QUOTE]

Just to add to what Albert has said, CL19 would also be older than CL8F (the last digit is 9 compared to F).

Furthermore, since all firmwares on FirmwareHQ are stock firmwares, flashing a different version of stock firmware will do nothing to remove riplock, if riplock is present. The only way to remove riplock would be to patch the firmware, but as I said earlier there are no tools currently that can patch the firmware of newer LiteOn drive series…

(As an aside).

Does anyone still make newly manufactured riplocked drives in 2016-17?

All of my current 2016 era drives from LG, Samsung, and LiteOn don’t have any riplock.

Hmm… downloaded the DosFlash 2.0 tool… switched to windows test mode, so that I can start it (and so it successfully loads the portio64.sys file after it has manually been signed by Sigital Signature Enforcement Overrider)… but it just shows an empty mask… no drives to select.

It deactivates the drives temporarily when starting DosFlash (is this the correct behavior), but I can not read the flash (even if i activate the drive when dosflash is opened).

What am I doing wrong here?
Is there any other tool to dump the firmware?

[QUOTE=Niko_K;2786782]Hmm… downloaded the DosFlash 2.0 tool… switched to windows test mode, so that I can start it (and so it successfully loads the portio64.sys file after it has manually been signed by Sigital Signature Enforcement Overrider)… but it just shows an empty mask… no drives to select.

It deactivates the drives temporarily when starting DosFlash (is this the correct behavior), but I can not read the flash (even if i activate the drive when dosflash is opened).

What am I doing wrong here?
Is there any other tool to dump the firmware?[/QUOTE]

Yes, that is normal behaviour… unfortunately DosFlash is quite picky when it comes to controllers/settings/OS used. It works best with older hardware, with the controller set up in IDE mode and with a 32 bit OS. Maybe try connecting the drive to an older computer if that is a possibility?

Older computers… yes… plenty… but not with windows (only linux)… maybe except one (if it still boots… lets see… but I’m quite sure it neither will accept the usb 3 controller nor has sata)

[QUOTE=Niko_K;2786786]Older computers… yes… plenty… but not with windows (only linux)… maybe except one (if it still boots… lets see… but I’m quite sure it neither will accept the usb 3 controller nor has sata)[/QUOTE]

Maybe you could try using DosFlash under DOS via a bootable USB stick, something along the lines of what has been done here: http://club.myce.com/f91/lg-bh16ns50-bh16ns55-2nd-gen-bh14-wh14-bh16-wh16ns40-svc-code-ns50-2015-a-340457/index2.html#post2774830 (ignore all the talk about the LG side of things, since none of that applies to LiteOn drives, the thing to take away from that post is the running of DosFlash under DOS idea).

DosFlash will not work over a USB adapter. There’s a small chance I guess that it might just possibly work via a cheap ‘in-line’ IDE to SATA converter gadget that supports ODD (I never tried so I can’t say for sure) if an older mobo only has an IDE port.

The safer alternative is to use a cheap PCI SATA controller card, but you need one which is not flashed with a RAID firmware, or one which you can reflash with a standard non-RAID firmware. VIA 6421 and Sil 3512 based PCI SATA controller cards are known to be compatible with DosFlash.

Here’s some subtle differences I noticed within iHAS124 F series drives with a factory default CL98 or later firmware (ie. manufactured in October 2015 and later). I have only been able to correlate the distinctive differences to an alphanumeric code on the sticker on the bottom of the drive, directly next to where “MADE IN CHINA” is explicitly printed.

These are the drives I have:

• October 2015 manufacturing date. (Default CL98 firmware).

7824001503H-A [B]FJ

• [/B]March 2016 manufacturing date. (Default CL98 firmware).

7824001503H-A [B]MYS

[/B]
(I have two slightly different iHAS124 F drives, both with a September 2016 manufacturing date).

[B]- [/B]September 2016 manufacturing date. (Default CL9F firmware).

7824001503H-A [B]ZL

[/B]
[B]- [/B]September 2016 manufacturing date. (Default CL9F firmware).

7824001503H-A [B]MYS

[/B](The CL98 firmware factory default drives were eventually updated to the CL9F firmware).

The differences I noticed has to do with ripping dvd discs which didn’t have very good quality control, which sometimes triggers this “false read error” with the CL98 or CL99 firmwares.

I recently purchased a 15-disc dvd set originally released by Paramount this past August (2016), and a 32-disc dvd set originally released by Universal this past July (2016), which both encountered this “false read error” problem. Also I used several older dvd discs which were released by bottom feeder movie studios with lousy dvd disc quality control, which previously encountered this “false read error” problem.

Using these drives updated to the CL9F firmware, these “false read error” problems largely disappeared. Though what remained on some drives (the 7824001503H-A [B]FJ [/B]and 7824001503H-A [B]ZL [/B]ones), was that they still produced a very high pitched sound when ripping the first layer of a dual-layer dvd disc that wasn’t manufactured very well. When the drive transitioned to the second layer, this very high pitched sound disappeared.

In contrast with the 7824001503H-A [B]MYS [/B]drives (both March 2016 and September 2016 manufacturing dates), this very high pitched sound was absent on both the first and second layers of a poorly manufactured dual-layer dvd disc.

(Some recent background).

This past weekend I purchased the two September 2016 manufacturing date iHAS124 F drives, from a local computer store. (ie. They were on sale). I mentioned this in another thread on the LiteOn subforum here:

That day I also purchased that 15-disc dvd set released by Paramount.

When I got home, I ripped half of the discs on one of the new drives (7824001503H-A [B]ZL[/B]) and the other half on the other new drive (7824001503H-A [B]MYS[/B]). This was when I noticed the subtle differences between the two September 2016 manufacturing date drives.

A few days ago, I dropped by a different computer store in another part of town which I normally don’t pass through often. (I haven’t been to this particular store in several months, and I had a doctor’s appointment whose office was in this area). I noticed this computer store also had LiteOn iHAS124 F drives on sale, and saw they had one with 7824001503H-A [B]MYS [/B]but with a March 2016 manufacturing date.

In spite of being another silly impulse buy, I wanted to see whether this March 2016 manufacturing date drive behaved similar to either of my two September 2016 manufacturing date drives. In the end, it turned out the two 7824001503H-A [B]MYS [/B]drives behaved identically on the same problematic dvd discs (ie. no high pitched sound).

(More generally).

Currently I have no idea what these alphanumeric codes actually represent:

7824001503H-A [B]FJ[/B]

7824001503H-A [B]ZL[/B]

7824001503H-A [B]MYS

[/B]Though if I had to guess, they might represent a particular manufacturing line facility + equipment ?

My older LiteOn drives + rebadges have similar alphanumeric codes:

(iHAS124 EUV)

• November 2014 manufacturing date. (Default 4L08 firmware).

7824001396H-A [B]FJ

[/B]
(iHAS124 F)

• May 2015 manufacturing date. (Default CL06 firmware).

7824001503H-A [B]FJ

[/B](ASUS DRW-24F1ST. Most likely a rebadge of iHAS124 F with CL06/CL07/CL08/CL09 firmware)

• September 2015 manufacturing date.

7824001507H-B [B]ZL[/B]

[QUOTE=jcroy;2786866](ASUS DRW-24F1ST. Most likely a rebadge of iHAS124 F with CL06/CL07/CL08/CL09 firmware)

• September 2015 manufacturing date.

7824001507H-B [B]ZL[/B][/QUOTE]

I dropped by a nearby computer store earlier today, and asked to take a look at the ASUS DRW-24F1ST drives they had in stock.

With varying manufacturing dates from June 2016 to August 2016, they all had the same alphanumeric code of 7824001507H-B [B]ZL [/B]

Could it be that the actual ihas 124 F can´t do DVD-RAM? I insert one and the drive don´t found a media. Nero Info Tool shows also the drive can´t go on with DVD-RAM.

LiteOn Optical Drives table by Blackened2687

Writer: Liteon ihas 324 F
Firmware: CL8F
Media: Titanium DVD-R 8x Made in China
MID: (TYG02)
Burn Speed: 6x (selected 8x)
Software: Nero 12 Ess.
Burned 2017

Writer: Liteon ihas 324 F
Firmware: CL8F
Media: Extreme DVD-R 16x
MID: (MBI 01RG40)