LITEON iHAS124 Fix (If you upgraded to 8L0A)

vbimport

This tool is for those of you that have chosen to update your LITEON iHAS124 D to the 8L0A firmware. I myself made the mistake of updating my drive to the same firmware immediately after purchasing it and ended up doing some homework after the drive was not writing physical data to the mediums.

DOWNLOADÂ NOW!

The following procedures will fix the issue.

1.) Run The Flash_Utility.exe and select your iHAS124 drive. Be sure the Flash read size is set to 1MB and “Update boot code” is unchecked. Click ‘Write Flash’ navigate to the folder you extracted this fix to and select ‘8L05.bin.’

2.) The Flash Utility will usually FAIL writing the firmware. Either way, pass or fail, this fix will still work.

3.) Restart the Flash Utility and select the iHAS124 drive once more. It should now read “ATAPI iHAS124 D 0XXX.” or “ATAPI iHAS124 D 8L05.” Regardless of which firmware version it shows, you are still good.

NOTE: If the drive shows 0XXX as the revision, the MTK Flash chip is erased and the drive is in a status were it will not do anything at all, the green LED on the drive may be flashing at this point. Continue onward, the next step will remedy this.

4.) Exit the Flash Utility and run “8L05.exe.” Click ‘Yes’ at the Warning and then select your iHAS124 drive and click “Update” (green check mark). When this step has finished with a “Success!”, restart your computer and do a test burn to make sure it is working.

Hope this helps!

Risked, tried it, worked!

Big thumbs up for the effort

[QUOTE=ftwin;2672951]Risked, tried it, worked!

Big thumbs up for the effort[/QUOTE]

Glad that it worked for you as well. Put this together after it worked for me.

This tool seems to work with other liteon models as well, safe to say read your current FW, then write it back to the drive with a FAIL result and then use the correct revision you want to update it to.

[QUOTE=dbrown1986;2673529]This tool seems to work with other liteon models as well, safe to say read your current FW, then write it back to the drive with a FAIL result and then use the correct revision you want to update it to.[/QUOTE]

THIS TOOL RESTORES the Stock Firmware…

[QUOTE=Computer_Spider;2674144]THIS TOOL RESTORES the Stock Firmware…[/QUOTE]

It doesn’t restore anything. [U]It helps to[/U] restore an earlier firmware, if [U]and only if[/U], an earlier firmware release exists!

[QUOTE=cvs;2674217]It doesn’t restore anything. [U]It helps to[/U] restore an earlier firmware, if [U]and only if[/U], an earlier firmware release exists![/QUOTE]

It Restores the Stock Firmware in Liteon iHAS 124 D, if you flash it with 0L05.bin (Tested and Done!):iagree:

It seems the firmware 8L0A for iHAS 124D is working now without any problems.People having problems with this firmware can update using ‘SmartPackSetup1.22.0’ from Lite-On Website Here.Problem solved.The thread can be closed now.:flower::slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Computer_Spider;2674262]It Restores the Stock Firmware in Liteon iHAS 124 D, if you flash it with 0L05.bin (Tested and Done!):iagree:[/QUOTE]

Yes the method works OK, but what you said is not entirely accurate, which is what I tried to explain before.

First, the Flash Utility cannot correctly dump the firmware from drives manufactured from about July 2011 onwards (which include the C and D iHAS series). The firmware dump appears to be created OK, but in fact if you look inside of one of these firmware dumps, they only contain garbage (random data). This is the root of the problem, otherwise reverting the drive to an earlier firmware version would not be a problem in the first place.

This method (which has been called a ‘tool’ for some strange reason) is basically using the good old Flash Utility to miss-flash the drive on purpose, in order to force the drive to enter in boot/core mode. Once the drive is in boot mode, it can be then flashed using any earlier firmware released by LiteON, using LiteOn’s official exe flashers. In this way, one can get around the fact that the Flash Utility doesn’t work properly with these drives and the unavailability of unscrambled firmwares (*.bin dump files).

The 0L05 version you see after miss-flashing the drive in this way, is actually the version of the drive’s bootcode, it is not a firmware (well, the bootcode is actually a small section of code located at the beginning of a full firmware file if we really want to be pedantic). The firmware itself is basically the 8L05, 8L0A, etc. The 0L05 is the bootcode used by the 8L05, 8L0A, etc, firmwares. To use a quick analogy, the bootcode is like the BIOS of a computer while the firmware is like the operating system of the computer.

So, if someone wants to downgrade their current firmware to an earlier version for whatever reason, then one can only use this method if an earlier firmware release exists. If an earlier firmware is not available, then one cannot revert their firmware using this method…

Could someone explain what is the problem with the 8L0A firmware as I flashed to this firmware immediately after buying the drive without testing the original firmware?

[QUOTE=kyrcy;2686679]Could someone explain what is the problem with the 8L0A firmware as I flashed to this firmware immediately after buying the drive without testing the original firmware?[/QUOTE]

Essentially the firmware bricks the drive. The drive still functions, but will not burn discs (or sometimes read them either). The result is a disc that acted like it was being burned to, but appears to have nothing on it at all, upon inserting the disc back into the drive after a finished burn, your OS will then prompt you asking what you want to do with the “blank” disc. Essentially the 8L0A FW makes the burner, well; not burn.

Some people have reported that they have no issues with 8L0A, but I think it really depends on how you flash the drive and where you get the FW from, it is entirely possible that the difference is in using LITEON’s own FW software versus using an executable from FirmwareHQ, but I cannot verify this.

The above technique I posted; is however flawed, as there are easier and safer alternatives, this fix was meant to help and it does work, but as [B]CVS[/B] pointed out, my “tool” makes the drive enter boot/core mode, whereas the other alternative uses a BIN file with an unlocked flash utility, which [B]IS[/B] safer.

I just flashed back the 8L05 firmware using the above method, should I update to 8L08 and avoid 8L0A? I did not notice the problem you describe as I did not burn many discs with the drive, but I did notice some inconsistent disc quality results (which I am not sure if they are related).

[QUOTE=kyrcy;2686683]I just flashed back the 8L05 firmware using the above method, should I update to 8L08 and avoid 8L0A? I did not notice the problem you describe as I did not burn many discs with the drive, but I did notice some inconsistent disc quality results (which I am not sure if they are related).[/QUOTE]

Sorry, let me reiterate, it may burn CD’s or DVD+R’s okay. However I was having trouble burning DVD-R DL and DVD-R’s after the flash. I however used Firmware HQ’s flasher to do so, and not LITEON’s own tool. So yeah, flash to 8L08.

ive updated to 8LOA and have also had a few bad burns , ive downloaded the 8L08 firmware but it wont allow me to update ?

Well my drive came with 8LOA on and was making weird noises when slowing down and ejecting some times , and was giving me bad burns , ive used the tool above and am now on 8L05 and will see how things go .

thanks

Well ive come to the conclusion the drive is a turkey , as ive tried all the firmwares and still get bad burns , ive burnt the same disk in my pioneer 207 and they play fine etc .

thanks