LiteOn IHAS124 failure

vbimport

I have looked everywhere for an answer to this one.
My trusty drive decided to NOT read a movie. Put the disc in a duplicate machine and it plays. The drive in question has NOT been tampered with and can read other types of discs. To be very safe with my diagnostics, I actually removed the faulty drive and put the good one in. The good one reads just fine - no motherboard or similar issue. The faulty drive still does not read, while installed in the second machine.
My conclusion is that the drive is bad and should be replaced. Now for the question - can i use a different brand of drive (Plextor PX891SAF in this case) as a direct replacement? When swapping drives I did find that the machines installed the device drivers again. The major concern is that there could be an issue with Windows 7 forcing me to do a reinstall of the OS. For what it is worth I did order another LiteOn but would rather use the Plextor.
Thanks for helping with this. Happy New Year!

You can just replace the drive, no issue, no need to reinstall anything, and drivers should automatically install (they all use generic Microsoft drivers).

Which iHAS124 do you have? There should be a letter, like iHAS124 E, or B, or whatever.

Albert:
I can check model when i pull the drive again.
Meanwhile, Have a Happy New year.

PS: Auburn fan (family is from from Florence, AL) :slight_smile:

Albert: According to Speccy the drive is a W series.

Albert: The drive has been replaced with an F model dated August of 2016. The failed drive was manufactured in 2012 and the tag says “W U” on the bottom. I consider this topic resolved, even tho I did not buy/use a commercial lens cleaning disc.

[QUOTE=jc836;2786612]Albert: The drive has been replaced with an F model dated August of 2016. The failed drive was manufactured in 2012 and the tag says “W U” on the bottom. I consider this topic resolved, even tho I did not buy/use a commercial lens cleaning disc.[/QUOTE]

So you had been replace it with new drive ?

What is the drive brand and model ?

Ah, you had a model similar to an Optiarc, and replaced it with one that’s the same drive as the Plextor 891SAF (iHAS124 F, PX-891SAF…the F isn’t just a coincidence here. :wink: All recent Plextor models are made by LiteOn, who has rights to use the Plextor brand name). Hopefully it works out for you a little better.

Albert: Thanks for the info. I actually bought a Plextor as well, since Newegg claimed that it is a “duplication” version of the drive. Did not install it as the LiteOn arrived quickly and i assumed there would be no issue with the driver and device ID.
Again-I consider the matter resolved as the new drive works fine :slight_smile: