Liteon iHAS W series vs iHAS F series

vbimport

Hi,

I currently have a Liteon iHAS W series DVD drive I use mainly for DVD video extraction, but also occasionally for burning M-DISCs for data backup. I know the W series uses the NEC/Renesas chipset.

Today I saw a Liteon iHAS F series DVD drive at my local store. It seems the F series uses the Mediatek chipset.

My question: is it worth changing out my W series for an F series? Would I actually see any difference for DVD extraction based on the different chipsets? Any difference in DVD burning?

Not knowing very much about Liteon, I submit to your expertise.

No Liteon fans that have been keeping an eye on their drives over the last few years that might have an opinion on this?

IMO, iHAS122/124/324 W drives burn both DVDs and CDs better than iHAS122/124/324 F drives.

As for DVD extraction - I can’t say, which drive is better. Usually, MTK-based drives are stronger readers, than NEC-based drives.

[QUOTE=SpotOn;2768150]Hi,

I currently have a Liteon iHAS W series DVD drive I use mainly for DVD video extraction, but also occasionally for burning M-DISCs for data backup. I know the W series uses the NEC/Renesas chipset.

Today I saw a Liteon iHAS F series DVD drive at my local store. It seems the F series uses the Mediatek chipset.

My question: is it worth changing out my W series for an F series? Would I actually see any difference for DVD extraction based on the different chipsets? Any difference in DVD burning?

Not knowing very much about Liteon, I submit to your expertise.[/QUOTE]

I can’t comment specifically about “iHAS W” drives since I don’t have one. (Nor do I have any easy access to one).

I don’t do any burning at all these days. So I have very little to say on this particular issue.

But I do a lot of dvd extraction. If you’re like me, speed (and accuracy) is the primary issue when it comes to computer dvd drives.

I recently purchased an “iHAS-124 FU” and also an Asus rebadge of this same F model, where I updated both units to the CL08 firmware (linked from this forum).

Even with the CL08 firmware updates, there are still some slight issues with my iHAS-124 F (and Asus rebadge) going to full speed when a disc is first inserted and read by the drive. I made a post on this and found a partial solution to this problem:

(In contrast, my older “iHAS124 E” drive didn’t have this problem).

I bought some recorders, for working with photo and filming for companies / schools and ask many copies to me (sometimes over 100 per batch records), so I need to have a good “firepower”. The Lite-ons have always been the best in my opinion (I have a iHAS122 The more than 1100 discs recorded and the unit is enjoying excellent health). My latest acquisitions were iHAS122 and iHAS124, but in Brazil there is not much explanation of the “review” of the drive, so my batch purchased drives came as follows:

• 1x iHAS122 C
  • 1x iHAS122 EU
  • 1x iHAS122 FU
  • 1x iHAS122 WU
  • 1x iHAS124 B (YES !!!)
  • 1x iHAS122 B (crossflashed to iHAS124 B, but this is for another topic … I return it to the original model (iHAS122 B) … the store did crossflash before sending it).

also changed my Blu-ray recorder (an old and reliable MATSHITA BD-MLT SW-5583) for 3 iHBS112 2, 2 new (them was 1 showcase) and 1 used.

Except for iHAS122 C, all the others were new (the iHAS122 WU was showcase and had only 12 recorded media). I am experiencing them with the bad media that sell here in Brazil and I’m having great results … soon I start importing media Verbatim / Mitsubishi directly from Japan seeking a better quality as well as the M-Disc famous.

I hope to contribute tests, details and everything is possible.

Vinicius

Hello,
Two drives iHAS124-14-DDIHAS124-14WU LT and iHAS124-14-DDIHAS124-14FU LT. The last firmware upgrade for 124W is dated 06.06.2014. Is the ‘W’ revision really better for recording? Is is compatible with OptidriveControl software? Which to grab?
Regards,
f.

[QUOTE=SpotOn;2768150]Hi,

I currently have a Liteon iHAS W series DVD drive I use mainly for DVD video extraction, but also occasionally for burning M-DISCs for data backup. I know the W series uses the NEC / Renesas chipset.

My question: is it worth changing out my W series for an F series ? Would I actually see any difference for DVD extraction based on the different chipsets ? Any difference in DVD burning?

Not knowing very much about Liteon, I submit to your expertise.[/QUOTE]

I think you better to buy Lite on iHAS F series because the W series was not accurate to scan dvd and jitter would not show up.

Later you could burn dvd using both drivers then scan them using iHAS F series.

From the scan result you could known W or F series was the best one burning dvd.