Liteon iHAS 124B only writes LeadIn and then hangs

vbimport

Hi,

I have a strange behaviour with my Liteon iHas 124B, which has worked all the time, but suddenly doesn’t anymore. OS is Win7 x64, and my CPU/board combo is Asrock Z68Pro with intel SandyBridge Core i5 2500K.

What happens when I write a CD-R or DVD+R (both Verbatim, both have worked before) with Nero or Imageburn:

The writing process is started, you hear the drive spin and write, it definitely writes the LeadIn, and as soon as data has to be written, the write process hangs completely. The drive and the writing software become unusable, and cannot be closed, even not using taskmanager, you have to hard-reboot or use a tool like “process explorer” to stop. No data is written at all, the process simply stops and hangs.

After that, you can see that something was written (probably the lead-in), and the media used is rendered unusable, i.e. you cannot write to that disc again, its destroyed. So probably the laser is okay, but why is no data written?

I first thought it might be a Windows driver problem, but booting a Ubuntu 12.04 Live system is unable to write to that device also.

So what do you think might be the problem? Is my drive defective? And how exactly does Liteon handle RMAs from end users? I don’t want to contact my dealer here in Germany, I’d like the drive to be exchanged directly by Liteon.

I would start with some basics like trying a new SATA cable. Uninstalling the drive in device manager. Is it possible that you are pushing your power supply too close to it’s limits with newly installed hardware?

[QUOTE=deanwitty;2683137]I would start with some basics like trying a new SATA cable. Uninstalling the drive in device manager. Is it possible that you are pushing your power supply too close to it’s limits with newly installed hardware?[/QUOTE]

Well, since an LG drive works flawlessly in this system, and the Liteon fails in other computers as well, I strongly assume the drive is defective. How can I exchange (RMA) the drive via Liteon? My dealer does not exist anymore :frowning: