LiteOn iHAP422 CD-DVD Speed - Drive Does Not Support this Function

I have a brand new Intel i7 computer with a LiteOn iHAP422 drive. I want to test disc using CD-DVD Speed version 4.7.7.16. Unfortunately I get this message as soon as I press the “Start” button:

“Drive does not support this function”

When I click on the Advanced button, all settings are grayed out.

I have looked in the registry, but this drive is not blocked.

I purchased this drive because I thought that ALL LiteOn drives were supported by this software.

Any suggestions or ideas?

Thanks!

It probably fails due to jitter scanning being enabled and this version of CDSpeed not supporting jitter scanning on your LiteOn iHAP411 drive.

Look here for a modified version of Nero CD-DVD Speed 4.7.7.16 that supports jitter scanning on iHAP/iHAS drives (but with jitter support disabled for 20A3 drives):

http://club.cdfreaks.com/2107131-post78.html

Thanks for the link. I downloaded and tried this version, but got the same results. I tried disabling various settings prior to running the test, but always got the error message.

Attempting to do the C1/C2-PI/PO test under the ScanDisc tab also produces the error. All other functions appear to work.

This drive uses VL14 firmware. I have checked for later firmware, but this appears to be the most recent. However, it was release [I]after[/I] the patched 4.7.7.16 version you linked to. Perhaps this new firmware is incompatible in some different way.

I miss my old Plextor 760. I can’t seem to find a burner that produces really high-grade burns, AND can be used to test those burns. I spent a LONG time researching. I guess I made the wrong choice. Sigh …

Thanks for you help, though!

I have the same Lite-on burner and Disc Speed works great, just no Jitter report.

[quote=DrageMester;2204945]… your LiteOn iHAP411 drive.[/quote] I blame my keyboard for this. That’s my story and I’m sticking to it! :cool:

[quote=johnmeyer;2205124]Thanks for the link. I downloaded and tried this version, but got the same results. I tried disabling various settings prior to running the test, but always got the error message.[/quote] Too bad it didn’t work.

Since it required a hack to get it to work for the iHAP411 drive, apparently this is a known problem and will require a similar hack – or change by the CD/DVD Speed people – to get it tow work with the iHAP 422 drive.

Thanks again for the help. I am now going to look into kProbe to see if I can use that instead.

[QUOTE=G_Ivan Awfulitch;2205229]I have the same Lite-on burner and Disc Speed works great, just no Jitter report.[/QUOTE]

Hmmm …

So it is either something with the firmware (do you have the VL14 firmware), or something specific to my computer.

This is what I have:

3.2 GHz Intel i7
ASUS P6T
6 GB RAM
nVidia 9800 GT video card
Windows XP Pro / Vista Business 64-bit (dual boot).

I have SATA and RAID drives, which leaves the IDE open for the LiteOn drive. It is connected as the only drive on IDE 1 Primary.

I am now trying KProbe2 and having problems there as well. Something is not right …

[edit] In looking at Windows XP Device Manager, and also Nero Infotools, it looks like this LiteOn drive has been connected to my Marvel RAID controller rather than the primary IDE channel. I’ll need to contact the manufacturer and find out why they did this. I have a feeling this is a mistake.

Can’t edit my post so I have to post again.

I opened the computer and the drive is wired correctly (to the IDE connector). It couldn’t be otherwise (i.e., no way it could be connected to the Marvel RAID or to the SATA controllers).

I don’t know if the Nero Infotools mis-information means something or whether it is just confused by the fact that this computer has so many controllers.

Mine had the VL13 but I flashed it to VL14 shortly after I installed it ( Mid December)

[QUOTE=johnmeyer;2205313]Can’t edit my post so I have to post again.

I opened the computer and the drive is wired correctly (to the IDE connector). It couldn’t be otherwise (i.e., no way it could be connected to the Marvel RAID or to the SATA controllers).

I don’t know if the Nero Infotools mis-information means something or whether it is just confused by the fact that this computer has so many controllers.[/QUOTE]

The Marvell RAID controller you are referring to may be an embedded chip that drives your IDE controller and similarly, may also drive a few SATA ports just like the infamous JMicron controllers on most motherboards made for the Core2-series of processors. The solution may be as simple as a driver update for your OS, or as complicated as flashing an updated firmware for the onboard controller.

I suggest you look at what IDE/SATA controllers your motherboard might have and see if there are any recent driver updates for it. Most onboard RAID solutions can also be turned off (or turned into plain IDE/SATA/AHCI mode) in your motherboard’s BIOS since there may be incompatibilities with your specific ODD and RAID controller.

[quote=johnmeyer;2205283]Since it required a hack to get it to work for the iHAP411 drive, apparently this is a known problem and will require a similar hack – or change by the CD/DVD Speed people – to get it tow work with the iHAP 422 drive.[/quote] There is no iHAP411 drive, that was a typo! :wink:

This computer is dual boot. I just booted under Vista Business 64-bit, and CD-DVD Speed works fine. Thus, it is a problem that is specific to my Windows XP Pro configuration. I’ll keep poking around and see if I can come up with a solution.

[QUOTE=johnmeyer;2205683]This computer is dual boot. I just booted under Vista Business 64-bit, and CD-DVD Speed works fine. Thus, it is a problem that is specific to my Windows XP Pro configuration. I’ll keep poking around and see if I can come up with a solution.[/QUOTE]

Sounds like a WinXP driver problem or incompatibility.

Sounds like a WinXP driver problem or incompatibility.
I agree. It is a brand-new computer, configured by Polywell. Everything seems to be working great, and I’ve already burned over twenty DVDs, and when tested using CD-DVD Speed running under Vista, those burns are excellent (although I am testing on the same unit that made the burns, so the results may not be valid).

I’ve poked around all the Device Driver settings for the IDE channel, DMA controller, and of course the drive itself. It’s using the original Windows XP driver (dated 2001). I don’t know of anything more recent. I’ve written to Polywell to see if they have any ideas, but I don’t expect to get very far with that, since the unit is performing its main function just fine.

But since it works under Vista and not under XP, and since others have the same unit and it works under XP, then it must be something to do with either the XP configuration, or the fact that I have all these controllers. I suspect that just as the Nero Infotool got confused (see my earlier post with the screen snap), CD-DVD Speed is getting confused by how things get reported by the IDE, SAS, and RAID controllers.