Liteon for scanning

I am about to buy a liteon for scanning dvd s.
Among the LH-20A1, DH-20A3 and DH-20A4 are there differences.
I am ONLY intereted in the scanning features of the drive.

Thank you in advance

The A3 can do jitter in dual layer, the A1 & A4 only do jitter on the first layer (both do jitter in SL media fine).

All drives should be very good with dvd scans, and bad with cd-r.

Why not try the new Liteon iHAS220? Scans everything and a good burner, just got mine yesterday.

The scans so far are very consistent with my trusty Lite-On LH-18A1P.

Newegg.com has the retail box shipped for $29.99 if you are in the USA…Click HERE

[QUOTE=Grecus;2124885]I am about to buy a liteon for scanning dvd s.
Among the LH-20A1, DH-20A3 and DH-20A4 are there differences.
I am ONLY intereted in the scanning features of the drive.

Thank you in advance[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=MegaDETH;2125362]Why not try the new Liteon iHAS220?[/QUOTE]

Judging from the models listed, he may need PATA, not SATA.

As soon as the iHAP322 drops, that’s what he should get.

True I just noticed the LH-20A1 but - the S :frowning:

Actually i was referring to these series in general.I didn’t write p either.
The thing is i can get the lh-20A1 series easier and am only concerned in scanning.
Regarding scanning maybe i wasn t clear.By scanning features i meant accuracy, reliability.Nevertheless useful to learn about jitter scanning limitation on 20A1 & 20A4.

So should i stick with VROOM’s response and consider the LH-20A1 as accurate, reliable as newer series or should i try to find one of them instead.I dont mind the jitter limitation.

Thanks again for helping

I can recommend the iHAS 120 (basically the iHAS 220 MegaDETH mentioned without lightscribe) as a scanner / reader, too. If you can live with the riplock and RPC2 stock firmware, it’s a very good choice for your purposes. Although I think that it’s just a matter of time until modded firmware is released.

Or you can wait for the new 322 / 422 drives, although in my humble opinion, SmartErase is an absolutely pointless feature.

[QUOTE=Grecus;2125677]By scanning features i meant accuracy, reliability.[/QUOTE]Just a note: scanning is subjective, and therefore you will get only precise scans with ANY drive [no scans are accurate]. But these LiteOn drives are reliable, and they usually give you a good, clear picture on what discs look like.

[quote=packetloss;2125902]Or you can wait for the new 322 / 422 drives, although in my humble opinion, SmartErase is an absolutely pointless feature.[/quote] I have actually warmed to the PlexErase feature in my Plextor PX-760A, using it occasionally to securely wipe DVDs that have proprietary information. So I’d welcome the new LiteOn drives with SmartErase (which should be more or less the same as PlexErase).

I don’t know, I just never saw the point of erasing (write once) media with the drive. It wears the laser down, takes a lot of time, and you can achieve the same by putting the disc in the microwave and watch a pretty hallucinating show. :wink:

But that’s just me.