Liteon firmware

vbimport

I see a new firmware posted for my lite-on drive. I wanted to know what it does but the liteon site has little info on it. Does anyone know? I dont want to flash it if I don’t need to. What does the new firmware add/improve/just what does it do???

Your best bet is to search for 6S0D, the firmware version, and see what others have said during their initial testing…

i don’t see any new firmwares on liteon’s website. :confused:

here is a link, just look for our model, as we have the same burner
http://www.liteonit.com/english/index-english.htm
and there is a firmware: R526S0D.zip (first one listed) but all it says is:
Match more media in description area. I wanted to more info cause once you flash as far as I understand you cant go back.

ah, i thought u meant there was a new one released within the last few days. 6S0D has been out for a while now. i’m using 6S0D myself without any problems, but some ppl always have problems with different versions of firmware.

I wanted to more info cause once you flash as far as I understand you cant go back.

this is true for many brands, but definitely not liteon. u can either get a .bin of the old version u want to flash ur drive to and use mtk(win)flash, or u can apply flashfix to an official .exe firmware (which allows the .exe to flash any drive).

thx AZImmortal. I didn’t know you could go back. Do you per chance know what the 6S0D has improved? My lite-on has not yet been flashed at all. I just figured why fix it, if it ain’t broke? If i knew something specific the flash upgrade does I would consider it. Like: does it add support for a certain media type that always failed before? An example such as this is what I am asking about.

I don’t know exactly what this update does, but some updates do things such as improve write quality, allow faster writes on certain media if the write quality will still be good, and improve performance. I have an LTR-32123S, and various firmware updates have improved write quality and performance.

it’s somewhat debatable as to what gets improved with these new firmwares that just say “match more media”. there are many possibilities as to what it means. it could mean that they’ve readjusted smart-burn speeds for various media in addition to possibly cataloguing more media. sometimes u’ll see improvements in read/write quality, and sometimes u won’t notice an improvement at all. u can try upgrading, and if it messes up ur drive, u can just flash back.

of course, if u don’t have issues with ur current firmware, u don’t need to upgrade, and the “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” motto is perfectly fine. however, i’m one of those guys who always has to upgrade, whether i have problems or not. :bigsmile:

Originally posted by AZImmortal
of course, if u don’t have issues with ur current firmware, u don’t need to upgrade, and the “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” motto is perfectly fine. however, i’m one of those guys who always has to upgrade, whether i have problems or not. :bigsmile:

You’re right, AZImmortal. I know what you mean too; I often upgrade my firmware because there is a newer firmware than the one I am using. I have found unexpected benefits too; FW XS0Z made my LTR-32123S write P-CAV instead of Z-CLV. :smiley: