LiteON Firmware Update!

[I]Checkout the firmware section on the liteon website for the new 812S firmware :bigsmile:

“EDIT”
I’ve not tried it yet, But will do today
@ some point when i get time …[/I] :bow:

Whats the new firmware? There site still shows US0A which has been out since 3/16/04…

Originally posted by Hypnosis4U2NV
Whats the new firmware? There site still shows US0A which has been out since 3/16/04…

I’m not sure where you are looking. But it shows US0F as the newest firmware here. Date is 2004/04/02.

The LiteOn firmware link is bad. It refreshes the page but doesn’t download.

Originally posted by Macbeth
The LiteOn firmware link is bad. It refreshes the page but doesn’t download.

Yea, LiteOn did something screwy with their FW page. Clicking to download with my default browser (Mozilla Firefox) will just refresh the page. But IE works. Am too lazy to go poke through their HTML to figure out what they did wrong.

Just go to Dave’s page for LiteOn firmwares. :slight_smile:
http://dhc014.rpc1.org/

Go to this link:

http://www.liteonamericas.com/us/odd_dvdrw.htm

Then go to Downloads and you will see it still says US0A…

(At least as of this post)

lol i cant believe so many people chose ‘What is Firmware?’ :bigsmile:

Finally they updated the 52x combo drive firmware… its been awhile

[I]Hey guys,
Everyone doin ok :bigsmile:

It seems fine to me so far “No Coasters” Anyhow :bow:

[/I]

Originally posted by darkstar559
lol i cant believe so many people chose ‘What is Firmware?’ :bigsmile:

Hi, I´m one of them… :smiley:
Lite-On´s latest firmware for my DVDRW drive sucks.!

Heres some interesting results burning @ 4x using the US0F firmware on RICOHJPNR01… PI’s greatly reduced but an increase in PO’s… This was burned with CloneDVD2…

This is a burn @ 4x using DVDShrink (Nero 6.3.1.6) to burn with US0F… Different results…

Software also seems to play a key role in burning, not just the hardware and media…

This is very interesting–how vastly different these scans are. I wonder. Could it be because Nero makes use of ASPI (Nero’s own ASPI files in the Nero directory, not the ones in the Windows system directory) for operating the burner?

I should conduct an experiment where I create an ISO file and burn one copy with Nero and another with DVD Decrypter (since it can do ISOs and I’m not very big on the idea of installing another burning program that might potentially conflict with Nero–I don’t want a repeat of my old Roxio-Nero days). And if I get similar results with both burns, then it might be indicative that what’s going on in Hypnosis’ case is something at a lower level than the Nero software itself (e.g., some sort of adverse interaction between the Ahead ASPI layer and the OS?).

Probably should do this experiment some time later this week… and if anyone else does a burning program comparison like what Hypnosis, please do post your findings. :slight_smile:

I did another burn with CloneDVD2 and the results are almost identical… So it was not a fluke that I may have gotten “better media” in my spindle…

I think Code is right, the burn quality may lie within a programs use of ASPI layer and how it reacts with the hardware (burner)… This may explain why certain drives write better than others, possibly better support between their firmware and a burning programs ASPI layer…

Heres the last burn 4x @ US0F using CloneDVD2…

Do you know what I/O method CloneDVD uses? (I don’t have a copy of CloneDVD, so I can’t check…)

~Nero: ASPI
~DVD Decrypter: SPTI (can be changed to ASPI or ElbyCDIO)
~CloneDVD: ElbyCDIO (??) (since AnyDVD uses ElbyCDIO and DVD Decrypter gives you the option to use ElbyCDIO, I’m going to guess that ElbyCDIO works on DVDs too?)

Only file in the CloneDVD2 folder is WriteDVD.dll… So it may use ElbyCDIO…

Would be nice to see if others can test some burns with different burning programs so we can see if the results match up against mine…

Originally posted by Hypnosis4U2NV

I think Code is right, the burn quality may lie within a programs use of ASPI layer and how it reacts with the hardware (burner)… This may explain why certain drives write better than others, possibly better support between their firmware and a burning programs ASPI layer…

IMO, this behaviour in burning has nothing to do with “aspi”. It´s the difference in burning “engines” and low level access layer that matters…
[Sure, a messed up “aspi” layer can make things worse…]

Nero is one of the few burning programs still depending on a “aspi” layer.

Have you ever done any tests with RecordNow Max or Blindwrite. Try it, and you might have a pleasant surprise.

BTW, I have been using CloneDVD since first released. :cool:

Edit: merged two posts.

CloneDVD (1st release using a 811S) produced worse results over Nero 6… I figured Id give another go with the new version to check it out… Im pretty happy with the burn quality, not to thrilled with the interface…

Im not going to bloat my system with burning software, I already have Nero, CloneDVD2and DVDDecryptor… Though I havent tested DVDDecryptor yet…

Obvioulsy the answer is somewhere with the 2 programs, I would like Nero to incorporate it in Nero 6…

Burned w/ Nero…

Burned with DVD Decrypter…

PI is slightly higher b/c the image that I burned was larger so the high-error area was wider than w/ the above burn.