Liteon EZ-Dub on emachine - problem

vbimport

HELP!

i am new with “Forum” of any kind. i have read Club CD Freaks so many time and have gained a lot of knowledge. I bought an external Liteon DVD burner EZ-Dub model SHW-160P6SU 06C and would like to use it with my existing emachine which has a DVD reader.

the idea for the external drive is so that i can use it with my old laptop which only has a CD drive.

after i plug the drive on to the emachine, and then install the installation CD, the system ask whether i would like to restart and i click yes. the problem is the computer does not restart and i have turn it off and on (on the power bar since the on/off button does not work) again a few time and nothing show on the monitor. can any one help?

Hi and Welcome!

If your notebook is that old, your external DVDRW drive probably won’t work as USB2.0 high speed is needed.

after i plug the drive on to the emachine, and then install the installation CD, the system ask whether i would like to restart and i click yes. the problem is the computer does not restart and i have turn it off and on (on the power bar since the on/off button does not work) again a few time and nothing show on the monitor. can any one help?
This seems to be a problem, that is not related to the drive, but with your system configuration. What happens, if you disconnect the drive? Can you reboot then?

Michael

Most probably your laptop lacks USB2 capability so you’ll need a PCMCIA USB2 card like this one.
Don’t expect any 16x burns, 8 and maybe also 12x if lucky might be possible though.

[I]Sidenote[/I], our oldest laptop Compaq Armada M700 can handle 8x burns with dvd burner in external quite well.

thank you Michael and pinto2 for your reply. the emachine is not a laptop. it’s a desktop which is over 4 years old and when i disconnect the drive, it still does not boot.

what a bummer!

Think both me and mciahel knew that :slight_smile: , and we answered to this;

the idea for the external drive is so that i can use it with my old laptop which only has a CD drive.
You better fix your desktop problems before connecting EZ-Dub to that “evil machine”. :bigsmile:

In meantime maybe you can get external drive running on your lappy, as suggested above.