LiteOn Enclosure - swapping drives

I have a LiteOn ESAU external usb drive, well i got curious and took it apart, inside was a drive with a simple USB adapter from PATA, well i was wondering, since its just a DH-20A4S inside, couldn’t i put any drive inside, or is it specific adapter to that drive, or could i even use it for HDD…I’m assuming its just a standard PATA to USB adapter, but who knows…anyone tried this? What about swapping the adapter or adding a SATA to PATA, then to USB…its a cool enclosure…I dont know, any ideas?

As long as the drive fits into the enclosure, you can pretty much use any drive. The electronics is just a standards PATA to USB adapter. It should work with HDDs as well I would think…

As for modding, chaining a SATA to PATA with a PATA to USB adapter is never a good idea. I doubt it will work or if it does it won’t be a reliable solution … On the other hand, if you can find a SATA to USB adapter which supports ODD and which fits inside the box and you can somehow sort out the external connectors in an elegant way then you’re in business…