LiteON eHBU212 USB3 external BD-RE review

vbimport

I just posted the article LiteON eHBU212 USB3 external BD-RE review.

MyCE is proud to present the fist USB3 BD-RE drive that was manufactured by LiteON. In this review we will be taking a look on the performance of the eHBU212. Continue reading to find out more …

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/review/liteon-ehbu212-usb3-external-bd-re-review-53532/](http://www.myce.com/review/liteon-ehbu212-usb3-external-bd-re-review-53532/)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Thank You for the excellent review, Vroom. I think they need to improve on the firmware somewhat.

I hope that they do that.

No BD-R burns at 12x? Weak sauce…

The Drive can burn SONYNN3(002), RITEKBR3(000) & MEIRA1(001) at 12x speed but only vroom does not have these discs.

maxell 4x @ 12x not the best result, but consider that fact that this is a ritek disc, it’s ok and it would have been better if there wasnt that slowdown at the end.

:)VROOM,
I got a LG BLUERAY burner as a gift. I think it;s great[ I don’t know about the lite-on]
but, The LG makes great copies of blueray to blueray. It also has blueray 3d.
ZAP.

[QUOTE=zap em;2618341]:)VROOM,
I got a LG BLUERAY burner as a gift. I think it;s great[ I don’t know about the lite-on]
but, The LG makes great copies of blueray to blueray. It also has blueray 3d.
ZAP.[/QUOTE]

That’s good for you, also 3D has more to do with your monitor and your graphics card, and less with the drive.

VROOM
I meant no offence. I was just pointing out the features on
another model.

[QUOTE=zap em;2619738]VROOM
I meant no offence. I was just pointing out the features on
another model.[/QUOTE]

None taken, you can voice your opinion freely.

How does one go about disabling the Smart Burn feature, as was done in the review?

I can’t seem to get the drive to burn BD-R faster than 4X for the life of me.

[QUOTE=adelphia83;2621515]How does one go about disabling the Smart Burn feature, as was done in the review?

I can’t seem to get the drive to burn BD-R faster than 4X for the life of me.[/QUOTE]

We will need more details to get started. What discs are you using? Disabling SmartBurn will not allow the drive to burn discs that are limited by the firmware’s write strategy to 4x any faster than that. And you probably would not want it to, unless your supply of coasters is running low:). Is the drive connected to USB3 port and not USB2? What burning software are you using? You may want to use Imgburn Discovery or OptiDriveControl disc info to learn what speeds are allowed by your BD-R’s.

[QUOTE=adelphia83;2621515]How does one go about disabling the Smart Burn feature, as was done in the review?

I can’t seem to get the drive to burn BD-R faster than 4X for the life of me.[/QUOTE]

You can use IMGBurn to or the EErprom Utility to disable the smart burn.

[QUOTE=vroom;2621526]You can use IMGBurn to or the EErprom Utility to disable the smart burn.[/QUOTE]

Many thanks! Now have my Verbatim’s burning nicely at 6X like they’re rated.

Even got a PhilipsR04 (?) disk to burn at 10X… Quality to be determined, but nice to know the drive is capable.

[QUOTE=adelphia83;2621884]Many thanks! Now have my Verbatim’s burning nicely at 6X like they’re rated.

Even got a PhilipsR04 (?) disk to burn at 10X… Quality to be determined, but nice to know the drive is capable.[/QUOTE]

Posting some quality scans would be nice, nice to see that you can burn your disc at the selected speed.

[QUOTE=vroom;2621918]Posting some quality scans would be nice, nice to see that you can burn your disc at the selected speed.[/QUOTE]

Hi Vroom,

Does this drive allow full speed burning with SmartBurn enabled if you are using ImgBurn to do the burning? A few of us have found that a burn speed issue seems to result from Discspeed or ODC having very limited/uneven BD-R burning ability as you suspected, solved by using ImgBurn for burning the test disc, and saving a snapshot of the ImgBurn burn graph with ODC.

[QUOTE=deanwitty;2621937]Hi Vroom,

Does this drive allow full speed burning with SmartBurn enabled if you are using ImgBurn to do the burning? A few of us have found that a burn speed issue seems to result from Discspeed or ODC having very limited/uneven BD-R burning ability as you suspected, solved by using ImgBurn for burning the test disc, and saving a snapshot of the ImgBurn burn graph with ODC.[/QUOTE]

Hi Dean.

Well i was able to reach 12x with Ritek media, and also the disc had a good scan. I remember that the burn was done with IMGBurn, also notice that i had speed issues with nero11 and imgburn.
I dont remember what firmware i was using at that time, CLOK i believe, but disabling the smarburn did the trick.

Thanks for the review. I ordered this drive today - it will be my first BD burner. I mainly wanted a reader but with the price of the writer on a bit more I grabbed it.

Thanks for the article. That would be very helpful.