Liteon Dvdrw Shw-1635s

I recently bought this DVDRW. After installing the DVDRW drive, problems started to occur. The 1st problem I encountered was after windows is loaded, my PC froze, after reloading windows, my sound driver needed to be installed again(it happened twice at the same day I installed the new DVD drive). 2nd is I get BSOD, this is the message: “[U]A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

A process or thread crucial to system operation has unexpectedly exited or been terminated. [/U]
Follow these steps:

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a new install, ask your manufacturer for any windows updates you might need.

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hard or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup options, and then select safe mode.

Another message is instead of referring to a process or thread unexpectedly exiting or being terminated, it read “Kernel_Data_Inpage_Error”

It then sounds like something is spinning up (perhaps the DVD drive?) but its not the usual spinning sound when cdrom is reading something, it is more like a beep but intead of that “beep” the sound is a spinning sound.

After so many manual rebooting, I tried to unplug the power supply of the DVD drive and so I did not encounter BSOD again and was able to successfully load windows without hang-ups. So I searched about my problem and found this forum and read about updating firmware. I updated mine (its now YS0Z) and did not encounter any BSOD for 24 hours. Usually I encounter this hang-up/PC froze when playing videos on a CD/DVD (or just plain using my DVD drive) but today, while I’m watching something I DLed, the BSOD appeared again (no CD is inside the DVD RW)! I turned off the PC for 5 secs and turned it on again and I’m able to go to windows successfully with only 1 try (usually I unplug the DVD drive power supply and boot windows then shutdown again, return its power supply then it would finally work). I guess after updating my firmware it somehow reduced the frequency of errors/BSODs.

What do you think is the real problem? I could burn DVDs run CD on my new DVD drive but there are just times it would mess up my system. Do you think a reformat would help? I’m just afraid this problem would cause bigger damage on my system…I’m guessing it may somehow affect my HD or motherboard. Any advise would help. Thanks in advance!!

Do you have it on it’s own cable? Make sure the jumper is set to cable select. I had in error my jumper set to Master along with another drive set to master and my system would not boot.

It could also be a power supply issue. What are the specifications of the power supply?

My power supply is TASK 350W

I changed the jumper to cable select. It was at Slave before. My HDD is sata and I forgot to tell you there are times my pc wont recognize my HDD, only my DVD drive and floppy. I’ll inform you guys if the BSOD appears again. TY

after 21hrs, BSOD didn’t appear again after moving the jumper to cable select. Thanks for the input, I wish that BSOD won’t appear again. The bad thing is my laptop. BSOD appeared on it (I didn’t upgrade anything on it) and the error i got is “Kernel_Data_Inpage_Error” after I reboot, it won’t even go to windows. I guess my laptop sacrificed itself!lol but its ok, I am not using it that often anymore.

Hello again, error got worse!BSOD appeared again and there was a time that windows displayed an error saying “Unknown hard error” with OK button then it froze after clicking the OK button several times. Now I disconnected the powersupply of the CD rom and I havent encountered any errors yet. My assumption is the DVD rw drive I bought is messing up my system. How could I explain this to the vendor to have them replace my unit? Do you guys know what kind of technical problem I could categorize this?

KTL already mentioned that it could be a power supply issue. Maybe you should try the drive in another PC.